5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Hello All,
New to the forum and the new owner of a Nused 2020 1500.
29K rounded on the miles, By the service date my truck is out of warranty for 3/36k time was Feb/Mar. I did buy an extended warranty as an insurance policy so to speak (non dodge.)
I have read all the posts on this topic.
I have a question that was asked by others that are out of the 3/36 warranty:
I understand that this is not a recall, with that being understood, what is the experience of getting the TSB work done in "good faith?"

I would like to hear about your experience(s). FYI I live in the Richmond VA, area the summers here can be HOT like those found further south. So functional AC is a must here.

BlueHemi1500

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello All,
29K rounded on the miles, By the service date my truck is out of warranty for 3/36k time was Feb/Mar. I did buy an extended warranty as an insurance policy so to speak (non dodge.)
I understand that this is not a recall, with that being understood, what is the experience of getting the TSB work done in "good faith?"

I would like to hear about your experience(s). FYI I live in the Richmond VA, area the summers here can be HOT like those found further south. So functional AC is a must here.

BlueHemi1500

Mine was done at 61K miles, it was covered by my extended warranty

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello All,

BlueHemi1500
Welcome. To find out if you need the AC TSB try the hack first. Get a good automotive thermometer and compare the vent temps. With the hack opened and closed.

Once this is figured out, you will know if it’s an issue like low Freon, compressor, etc. of the hack doesn’t help you need the TSB

Richluck

Reaction score
Update on my TSB fix last year. This is the first opportunity to really test the AC since it was late October 2022 when I had the work done and not very hot. Hit 105 here yesterday. My AC is ice cold and cools immediately. Dramatic difference. I used to have to remote start and wait at least 15 minutes and It still would take around 25 to 30 minutes to even get cool. Forget about using the vented seats as well. The fan speed is also increased with the fix. Definitely try to get it fixed if the dealer will attempt. It wasn't all that much work. They just take the top part of the dash out and replace the havac box. It looks like they also replace the heater core as well and possibly a hose. It was only a few hours. No squeaks or rattles as well. 3 Dealers also ignored me until I showed them the TSB. I have had many fixes done on this truck and previous vehicles which actually required me showing them the TSB. Most dealers don't want to bother with warranty work and get annoyed if you show them TSB's found on the internet. Really up to if the tech wants to do it which is unfortunate.

AlphaSheepDog

Reaction score
I also have this problem and opened a case with RAM Cares. I’m hoping they will be able to help since I’m outside of my warranty.

Everyone who is suggesting the “hack” there is an easier and less invasive way to test.
1. Turn the temperature down to its lowest on manual fan control.
2. Turn the fan on the lowest or second lowest setting.
3. Take a temperature reading.
4. Increase the fan speed to maximum.
5. After a few minutes take a reading.

My reading after Step 2 was ~60F.
My reading after Step 5 was ~76F.

This supports the TSB in that the truck is likely mixing the heated air, so the higher the volume of heated air, the less effect the AC would have.

Hope this helps!
-Kevin

P.S., I don’t know about anyone else, but between this issue, the leaking rear window, and the transmission falling out of drive, I’m a little overwhelmed.

AlphaSheepDog

Reaction score
I also have this problem and opened a case with RAM Cares. I’m hoping they will be able to help since I’m outside of my warranty.

Everyone who is suggesting the “hack” there is an easier and less invasive way to test.
1. Turn the temperature down to its lowest on manual fan control.
2. Turn the fan on the lowest or second lowest setting.
3. Take a temperature reading.
4. Increase the fan speed to maximum.
5. After a few minutes take a reading.

My reading after Step 2 was ~60F.
My reading after Step 5 was ~76F.

This supports the TSB in that the truck is likely mixing the heated air, so the higher the volume of heated air, the less effect the AC would have.

Hope this helps!
-Kevin

P.S., I don’t know about anyone else, but between this issue, the leaking rear window, and the transmission falling out of drive, I’m a little overwhelmed.
I wanted to follow up on this. I brought my truck into the dealer this morning and this is not necessarily accurate.

- Those of us with Auto Climate Control need to know that our trucks do not automatically engage recirculation.
- The factory spec is not a fixed temperature, but rather a fixed temperature DELTA. That delta is 30℉. This morning when it was ~80℉, my truck measured at 45℉. I indicated that the delta doesn't seem to hold up when it is 95℉ and the best I can manage is 70℉. He referenced the above recirculation point and also mentioned that when the fan is pushing a lot of hot air across the coils because it is 95℉ outside, they aren't going to be quite as effective until the fan speed decreases (which throws a wrench into my previous statement).
- My service rep indicated that they have the ability to control the actuators individually and measure whether they are properly sealing. In short, all of my sealed without issue.

I'm a little annoyed that the Auto Climate Control does not all for recirculation; however, with that in mind I plan on manually activating it on particularly hot days to gauge the improvement. That said, I felt the need to post here about a good experience with a dealer who put up with my probing questions and was able to defend the diagnostic steps. Often times, we probably get a little bit over our skis here in jumping to a diagnosis when, in fact, there are dealerships that employ mechanics that are good at what they do.

On top of all of that, my dealership didn't even charge me a diagnostic fee since they didn't spend much time with the car. That is good, pro-active customer service and I wanted to make sure that I highlighted it as well.

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
I wanted to follow up on this. I brought my truck into the dealer this morning and this is not necessarily accurate.

- Those of us with Auto Climate Control need to know that our trucks do not automatically engage recirculation.
- The factory spec is not a fixed temperature, but rather a fixed temperature DELTA. That delta is 30℉. This morning when it was ~80℉, my truck measured at 45℉. I indicated that the delta doesn't seem to hold up when it is 95℉ and the best I can manage is 70℉. He referenced the above recirculation point and also mentioned that when the fan is pushing a lot of hot air across the coils because it is 95℉ outside, they aren't going to be quite as effective until the fan speed decreases (which throws a wrench into my previous statement).
- My service rep indicated that they have the ability to control the actuators individually and measure whether they are properly sealing. In short, all of my sealed without issue.

I'm a little annoyed that the Auto Climate Control does not all for recirculation; however, with that in mind I plan on manually activating it on particularly hot days to gauge the improvement. That said, I felt the need to post here about a good experience with a dealer who put up with my probing questions and was able to defend the diagnostic steps. Often times, we probably get a little bit over our skis here in jumping to a diagnosis when, in fact, there are dealerships that employ mechanics that are good at what they do.

On top of all of that, my dealership didn't even charge me a diagnostic fee since they didn't spend much time with the car. That is good, pro-active customer service and I wanted to make sure that I highlighted it as well.
For the past couple of days, I have been setting mine to auto with recirculation on. What I have found is that the system seems to perform better than Max AC. I have not yet been able to test the difference in vent temps between the settings. The outside temps have been in the mid to upper 90's.

Users who are viewing this thread