5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draid

Reaction score
When you did the swap. was there any programing needed ? or was it all mechanical / parts swap ?
The 2014 swap was quite simple,a couple of wire cables and consle shifter. Although that truck came with a steering column shifter .no programing. That truck was loaded though.that was 8 or 9 years ago so my memory is kind of spotty plus I have chemo brain as well .I'll help as much as I can.all shifter functions worked. The 2021 is considerably harder. Console shifter functions work as well except gear limiter +,- . I think I could get them working but I kinda like them on steering wheel although I might try it someday to see if it would work. I would need electrical schematic of switch and shifter. Dealer not helpful on that though. Probably because there is no money in it for them.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The schematics and such might be considered proprietary information, or right to repair laws might imply otherwise depending on how you interpret them. In any case, people who have access don't seem inclined to share, so I guess if it becomes important enough, someone will buy a subscription.

Regarding the shifter itself, what do you remember about the '21? Is it a motorized thing like the dial, that could maybe just be substituted with a suitable extender cable?

Last edited:

Draid

Reaction score
The schematics and such might be considered proprietary information, or right to repair laws might imply otherwise depending on how you interpret them. In any case, people who have access don't seem inclined to share, so I guess if it becomes important enough, someone will buy a subscription.

Regarding the shifter itself, what do you remember about the '21? Is it a motorized thing like the dial, that could maybe just be substituted with a suitable extender cable?
Shifter won't auto shift into park like the rotary dial. I don't think there is a motor in it.i checked mine after installation though, what it does is put on electric emergency brake if you leave it in drive while turning it off. I bought a trx shifter and the console cable associated with it. Pulled it up to plug on rotary dial. If I remember correctly I got a female plug and moved pins to it so I could plug console plug into it. Without schematic I assumed wire color matching on each side of the connector set matched. The gt edition wasn't out when i ordered shifter so a gt laramie may work better. Bam whosale is where i got most parts at. I was sweating bullets first time I turned it on but it worked. Thank God. I coul kick myself for not documenting everything to help others but I didn't anticipate it.

Artoryn

Reaction score
Shifter won't auto shift into park like the rotary dial. I don't think there is a motor in it.i checked mine after installation though, what it does is put on electric emergency brake if you leave it in drive while turning it off. I bought a trx shifter and the console cable associated with it. Pulled it up to plug on rotary dial. If I remember correctly I got a female plug and moved pins to it so I could plug console plug into it. Without schematic I assumed wire color matching on each side of the connector set matched. The gt edition wasn't out when i ordered shifter so a gt laramie may work better. Bam whosale is where i got most parts at. I was sweating bullets first time I turned it on but it worked. Thank God. I coul kick myself for not documenting everything to help others but I didn't anticipate it.
It's great to hear this worked on a '21, even with some rewiring required. I have a '21 limited that I am working on doing this swap on. I have the console (from a 22 GT) and the GT 4x4 shift button panel.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions I have if you wouldn't mind.
  1. Do you happen to have any pictures you could share of doing it (I know you said you didn't document it, but anything could help, maybe)? The console plug/pin out, or of the wires that you extended/moved to connect to the console? I know it's a long shot, but I wanted to ask.
  2. Did you keep the knob 4x4 shifter in your truck or replace it with a TRX one?
  3. With the "trx shifter and console cable associated with it", are you talking the wiring harness for the center console that also plugs into the shifter?
I figured I would share the pictures I have of the console I got from ebay as I was disassembling it to learn how it all goes together (so I can replace parts with my console's trim pieces) and give some help if someone else is looking into it and wants to look how things are on the inside and where clips are.

Attachments

• 20230602_175142.jpg
    20230602_175142.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230603_161808.jpg
    20230603_161808.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230603_161759.jpg
    20230603_161759.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230603_161718.jpg
    20230603_161718.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230603_161715.jpg
    20230603_161715.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230603_155422.jpg
    20230603_155422.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20230603_155417.jpg
    20230603_155417.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230603_155414.jpg
    20230603_155414.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230602_175146.jpg
    20230602_175146.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 98

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's great to hear this worked on a '21, even with some rewiring required. I have a '21 limited that I am working on doing this swap on. I have the console (from a 22 GT) and the GT 4x4 shift button panel.

1. Do you happen to have any pictures you could share of doing it (I know you said you didn't document it, but anything could help, maybe)? The console plug/pin out, or of the wires that you extended/moved to connect to the console? I know it's a long shot, but I wanted to ask.
  2. Did you keep the knob 4x4 shifter in your truck or replace it with a TRX one?
  3. With the "trx shifter and console cable associated with it", are you talking the wiring harness for the center console that also plugs into the shifter?
I figured I would share the pictures I have of the console I got from ebay as I was disassembling it to learn how it all goes together (so I can replace parts with my console's trim pieces) and give some help if someone else is looking into it and wants to look how things are on the inside and where clips are.
Please take lots of pictures when you do yours.
This might eventually be on my list of things to do in my 22 Limited. I already have a TRX wheel and paddles shifters and my TCM has an GT firmware on it already. I don't even use the extra space the console has as it's awkwardly sized imo.

Draid

Reaction score

I'll get some pics of it. I'll also have to look at it and some of the old parts to jog my memory. I have chemo brain, so my recall sti ks. I really regret not documenting it as it would have helped others. I used a 4x4 panel from a gt laramie. Your's will be easier structurally having a gt console. I used my longhorn console and made it work.nt easy,but doable. I ordered a console cable from a trx and installed it in my console. I'll dig a little deeper and let you know.

Attachments

• 20220716_233633.jpg
    20220716_233633.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 92

Artoryn

Reaction score
Darksteel165 - Will try and document as much as possible. At this point, for me, it is getting the time to take out and disassemble my console a bit to get the wood trim pieces moved over to the other console. Also a time when I won't be driving my truck for a bit. I am also trying at the same time here to do a Limited Longhorn grille blacked out on my Night Edition Limited (I think it will look good). I like the less wavy grille.

Draid - Any info would be great if you have it! The biggest questions I still have are (more rhetorical questions, but please chime in if you have info):
  1. Does the 4x4 shifter plug directly into the truck, or is there a plug I need for it (possibly from the TRX/GT harness)?
  2. What wires will be used going down to the center console?
I hope that once I open my dash up more than I had when initially looking into this, it will be obvious on these questions. I have thought of getting a harness from infotainment ( https://infotainment.com/shop/interior-accessories/wiring/c-intcnsl-dt/ ) for creating a spliced harness for the wires that will be passed down to the console just to keep things unplugable and not hardwired or anything.

Draid

Reaction score
Darksteel165 - Will try and document as much as possible. At this point, for me, it is getting the time to take out and disassemble my console a bit to get the wood trim pieces moved over to the other console. Also a time when I won't be driving my truck for a bit. I am also trying at the same time here to do a Limited Longhorn grille blacked out on my Night Edition Limited (I think it will look good). I like the less wavy grille.

Draid - Any info would be great if you have it! The biggest questions I still have are (more rhetorical questions, but please chime in if you have info):
  1. Does the 4x4 shifter plug directly into the truck, or is there a plug I need for it (possibly from the TRX/GT harness)?
  2. What wires will be used going down to the center console?
I hope that once I open my dash up more than I had when initially looking into this, it will be obvious on these questions. I have thought of getting a harness from infotainment ( https://infotainment.com/shop/interior-accessories/wiring/c-intcnsl-dt/ ) for creating a spliced harness for the wires that will be passed down to the console just to keep things unplugable and not hardwired or anything.
I'll need to pop off the trim around the 4x4 panel and look to jog my memory, what's left of it, I think I remember changing one or two pin positions in a plug. I got the full center console cable ,either trx or gt, and replaced the one in mine with it.i used all the plugs in it as my longhorn was fully optioned. I'll try to look after wok if time and wife allow. I think I put my longhorn wires etc.in the bags from the new things.

Draid

Reaction score
Here is my baby. I got a oem trx hood, modified it and put it on my longhorn. Not easy but possible.

Attachments

• 20221126_164052.jpg
    20221126_164052.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20221106_221007.jpg
    20221106_221007.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 74

Quietpeen

Reaction score
for anybody in the Virginal, PA, MD area wanting to try this here is a console from a TRX for sale. (not mine...well not anymore - I sold it to the guy listing it.)

and here is one from a G/T but it is further north in PA

Artoryn

Reaction score
Here is my baby. I got a oem trx hood, modified it and put it on my longhorn. Not easy but possible.
Dang, BEAUTIFUL!!! That is the grille style I want to do! I am just in the process of wrapping the chrome pieces.

You have a great-looking truck!

GARebel19

Reaction score
I'll get some pics of it. I'll also have to look at it and some of the old parts to jog my memory. I have chemo brain, so my recall sti ks. I really regret not documenting it as it would have helped others. I used a 4x4 panel from a gt laramie. Your's will be easier structurally having a gt console. I used my longhorn console and made it work.nt easy,but doable. I ordered a console cable from a trx and installed it in my console. I'll dig a little deeper and let you know.

I'm curious what you had to do to the center console to fit the new shifter and cup holders. Do you have any pics of that? Not having to replace the whole console would save a lot of money.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Console shifter sounds cool and then I realize I will have nowhere to put my drink carrier from Chick-fil-a

Draid

Reaction score
I'm curious what you had to do to the center console to fit the new shifter and cup holders. Do you have any pics of that? Not having to replace the whole console would save a lot of money.
I had to get the top bezel group,plus the front bezel that has the charger port openings in it. All the electronics transferred over. I did have to fab a mount under the shifter made or wood mounted to the floor of the console itself. You have to he able to have correct height and position in the shifter opening. Takes a little time but is doable. Looks factory.

Draid

Reaction score
had to get the top bezel group,plus the front bezel that has the charger port openings in it. All the electronics transferred over. I did have to fab a mount under the shifter made or wood mounted to the floor of the console itself. You have to he able to have correct height and position in the shifter opening. Takes a little time but is doable. Looks factory.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Probably that would be the only way I do the swap is if I could keep my consolee

what part of your console are you concerned about keeping? Looks like you have to replace the whoe top which means no sliding cup holder. At that point the only thing that you are keeping is the console base that you have to modify and the flip up arm rest.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I was thinking it would be cheaper to not have to replace the base and easier since I have the red trim on mine that I would need to find a way to swap over if possible. Looking at the price of a new shifter alone it might not save me that much if I can get a good deal on an entire used console with shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread