5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draid

Reaction score
I was thinking it would be cheaper to not have to replace the base and easier since I have the red trim on mine that I would need to find a way to swap over if possible. Looking at the price of a new shifter alone it might not save me that much if I can get a good deal on an entire used console with shifter.
It definitely wasn't a cheap mod but when I focus on a project I go OC about it. It was worth it to me as the feel and look of the shifter is miles above the rotary knob, even with the cheesy jewl look. No offense to those who like that sort of thing.

Attachments

• 20231215_212051.jpg
    20231215_212051.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20231215_212030.jpg
    20231215_212030.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 123

GARebel19

Reaction score
It certainly looks factory in those pics. The rotary shift doesn't bother me that much but I do like the idea of the console shifter.

Gsau06

Reaction score
It definitely wasn't a cheap mod but when I focus on a project I go OC about it. It was worth it to me as the feel and look of the shifter is miles above the rotary knob, even with the cheesy jewl look. No offense to those who like that sort of thing.
I love the look of it. I recently bought the gt center console. Would you be willing to show us how it was done or was it a lot of troubleshooting and splicing wires?

Draid

Reaction score
I love the look of it. I recently bought the gt center console. Would you be willing to show us how it was done or was it a lot of troubleshooting and splicing wires?
I didn't document it. Yours should be much easier as the ft console already has the mount for the shifter. Wiring wasn't hard,,change pin position on a couple of wires.

Gsau06

Reaction score
I didn't document it. Yours should be much easier as the ft console already has the mount for the shifter. Wiring wasn't hard,,change pin position on a couple of wires.
I’ll get to it whenever I get some time off work. Do you know the name of the new part where the dial shift used to be? And is your truck an etorque? Mine is just gas so I’m wondering if that would make a difference.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ll get to it whenever I get some time off work. Do you know the name of the new part where the dial shift used to be? And is your truck an etorque? Mine is just gas so I’m wondering if that would make a difference.
Should still work without etorque, but you will not be able to program the TCM without getting errors to allow you to manually shift, will just function as gear limiter. The change of the shifter itself can be adjusted with Alfaobd with the console shifter.

Draid

Reaction score
Probably not the real name but I called it the 4x4 shifter panel

Draid

Reaction score
Probably not the real name but I called it the 4x4 shifter panel
Mine is not etorque so I have an extra non used button for start - stop disengage. If the gt can be ordered without etorque that would be the one to get . I didn't consider that function when I ordered the panel

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is not etorque so I have an extra non used button for start - stop disengage. If the gt can be ordered without etorque that would be the one to get . I didn't consider that function when I ordered the panel

GT only ever came paired with eTorque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gsau06

Reaction score
That's what I thought. If I can help when you start, let me know.
Thanks! I appreciate it. First I would need to get that transmission shifter. Forgot to ask you, did you by any chance have that part number? Other than, I should have everything. I for sure will let you know!

Draid

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate it. First I would need to get that transmission shifter. Forgot to ask you, did you by any chance have that part number? Other than, I should have everything. I for sure will let you know!
That is a trx shifter, probably the same. When I started on it the gt wasn't announced yet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109_151258_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_151258_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 37

Draid

Reaction score
I'm using my console shifter for p r n d only. Still using the limiter switch on the steering wheel. I like it there although I did consider enabling the limiter function on the console shifter. I don't know offhand the procedure to do so. For what I've done so far it didn't require any flashing or programming. I do like it as is. Wouldn't go back to rotary knob on dash.

Gsau06

Reaction score
I'm using my console shifter for p r n d only. Still using the limiter switch on the steering wheel. I like it there although I did consider enabling the limiter function on the console shifter. I don't know offhand the procedure to do so. For what I've done so far it didn't require any flashing or programming. I do like it as is. Wouldn't go back to rotary knob on dash.
Yeah, I really don’t mind the limiter switch it’s just the knob was not a thing for me. If someone has any info on how to make the buttons on the shifter work, it would make this job a whole lot smoother. Glad you are sharing this info and will keep y’all posted when I get my hands on it. I’m positive it’s going to be a fun weekend project.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, I really don’t mind the limiter switch it’s just the knob was not a thing for me. If someone has any info on how to make the buttons on the shifter work, it would make this job a whole lot smoother. Glad you are sharing this info and will keep y’all posted when I get my hands on it. I’m positive it’s going to be a fun weekend project.
You change the shifter settings with Alfaobd if that's what you are talking about.
I don't know the wiring if you are referring to that.

Draid

Reaction score
As far as the 4x4 shifter buttons I didn't have to use alphaobd or anything else. Mine works as advertised. I can't remember if the dash plugs all plugged in or not if not I might have gotten a plug and moved pins according to color and position on schematic, sorry I can't remember well but it's been sometime since I did it and I also have mild chemo brain from cancer. I didn't think of documenting it, I was also unsure whether it would work. I do remember going to the parts department at the dealership for wiring diagrams and assuming color codes were the same. That's why I was worried I'd trash my electronics.

Gsau06

Reaction score
As far as the 4x4 shifter buttons I didn't have to use alphaobd or anything else. Mine works as advertised. I can't remember if the dash plugs all plugged in or not if not I might have gotten a plug and moved pins according to color and position on schematic, sorry I can't remember well but it's been sometime since I did it and I also have mild chemo brain from cancer. I didn't think of documenting it, I was also unsure whether it would work. I do remember going to the parts department at the dealership for wiring diagrams and assuming color codes were the same. That's why I was worried I'd trash my electronics.
Did you use a special tool to remove the wires from the plug? And it’s okay, how are you doing?? I might have to figure it out lol I’ll hit you up if I got a question that you could help me out with if you are not busy.

Draid

Reaction score
Did you use a special tool to remove the wires from the plug? And it’s okay, how are you doing?? I might have to figure it out lol I’ll hit you up if I got a question that you could help me out with if you are not busy.
Everything's good, thanks. I used the smallest screwdriver in my precision screwdriver set to depress the tab on the pin to release it.

Draid

Reaction score
Looks absolutely sick. Enlighten us how it can be done.
The length was shortened 1/2 to 3/4 inch on front, plus the sweep angle on the sides and at the back are different, also the radius at the back of the hood had to be filled in.slight modification on fenders at the back as well as moving the fenders in slightly. Requires some welding on the thin aluminum of the hood. The damn engineers didn't want you to be able to just bolt the hood on a lesser trim than the trx. I've wondered if the hood would bolt easier on the classic body. The notch at the front could be added as well but I liked the idea of another led there to complement the leds in the hood scoop.

Attachments

• 20221204_192610.jpg
    20221204_192610.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221204_192813.jpg
    20221204_192813.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 34

Users who are viewing this thread