5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
I just got done doing a Build and Price for a GT. Both the Laramie and Rebel. I can't tell you how many times I tried shifting my water bottle. My wife thinks it's funny. Having the option to add the shifter is something I would be interested in doing if a kit was put together of everything needed to do. Just swapping from the eTorque takes the GT option away. I drove the eTorque and disliked it. (alot) A few other options I wanted did the same thing. My fear though is, would you need the ECM flashed from one to the other? Would it void the warranty?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just got done doing a Build and Price for a GT. Both the Laramie and Rebel. I can't tell you how many times I tried shifting my water bottle. My wife thinks it's funny. Having the option to add the shifter is something I would be interested in doing if a kit was put together of everything needed to do. Just swapping from the eTorque takes the GT option away. I drove the eTorque and disliked it. (alot) A few other options I wanted did the same thing. My fear though is, would you need the ECM flashed from one to the other? Would it void the warranty?
My wife makes fun of me when I driver her Traverse and reach for the knob on the dash to put it in drive or park

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing when I drive her Sportage that has all the options I wanted in my Ram but was half the price.

cornelius967

Reaction score
I disliked the rotary shifter so much I just traded in my 2021 Bighorn Off-Road QC for a 2022 G/T CC.
046F2D9A-6E5F-418F-9174-71601D97A975.jpeg
That's not the whole story but it was a major function in the new purchase calculus. It turns out we loved the Off-Road (which I bought as a "farm" truck) so much that the Mrs. wanted a few more creature comforts (she loves her heated seats!) as it was now our primary vehicle. We also found that the rear seating area in the QC really didn't have enough room now that we were taking the truck on trips, etc. I'm a little disappointed in the ride comfort (the Off-Road felt like an Imperial when cruising on the freeway) but I anticipate that is from the 20" rims and the stiffer side wall of the tires. I'll look for a set of 18" rims with taller side wall tires in search of that amazingly smooth ride we once had in the Off-Road. And, damn does it sound Sa-WEEEET!

NickN

Reaction score
The shift knob had me really considering alternative trucks but I ended up getting it anyway (2022 big horn). I really wish there was a way to get it swapped. I hate it so much I would spend $1k to swap it out for a console shift. It's the only thing I don't like about the truck . I don't have a sunroof and would've loved to have one but I would trade that for the console shift any day. You would be a godsend if you figured this one out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Other than a place to rest your hand, I really don't understand the desire for a console shifter. It's still all electronic. Do you still like to get up and change the channel on your TV on the TV itself?

397STROKER

Reaction score
There is no reason this couldn't be done. The transmission has nothing to do with it. the difference in the transmissions is the ability to handle power and the HP95 has a little long tail shaft. They both shift electronically the same way. You would need a parts list such as the console, shifter, panel to cover the old rotary knob, etc. then you will need to be able to change the shift type in the BCM, I am guessing, maybe TCM, not sure. The person that did it before on the 4th gen used a shifter out of a challenger and mated it to his existing console. I am sure if someone figures out all the replacement parts and how to change the programming it can be done.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other than a place to rest your hand, I really don't understand the desire for a console shifter. It's still all electronic. Do you still like to get up and change the channel on your TV on the TV itself?
I know this thread is old, but I'm going to comment anyway. Console shifter usually has "features" that the dial doesn't. Usually is a gate system (for want of a better word) that lets you pop it into neutral with no chance of overshoot, and makes you unlock something to get out of park. And the auto-stick features are great for folks who want more gear control. For myself, I'm okay with the dial, but don't like the tiny gear buttons on the steering wheel that distract my attention from the road. In fact, don't like any of the steering wheel buttons. And no, I don't want paddles, want something not on the steering wheel that can be done easily, by feel. Since there's no clutch anymore, maybe buttons or pedals on the floor (back to model T days). I dunno, just throwing out ideas, but I think the console shifter was developed nearly to perfection, and the dial isn't there yet.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I'm going to comment anyway. Console shifter usually has "features" that the dial doesn't. Usually is a gate system (for want of a better word) that lets you pop it into neutral with no chance of overshoot, and makes you unlock something to get out of park. And the auto-stick features are great for folks who want more gear control. For myself, I'm okay with the dial, but don't like the tiny gear buttons on the steering wheel that distract my attention from the road. In fact, don't like any of the steering wheel buttons. And no, I don't want paddles, want something not on the steering wheel that can be done easily, by feel. Since there's no clutch anymore, maybe buttons or pedals on the floor (back to model T days). I dunno, just throwing out ideas, but I think the console shifter was developed nearly to perfection, and the dial isn't there yet.
Dial shift you have to push brake to shift, same with console shifter. There aren't buttons on them anymore. As for the "gate" thing, you can shift from reverse through neutral and drive without stopping. Same for going the other way. As long as brake is depressed you can shift. Truck programming doesn't allow you to shift into neutral or reverse while moving forward above a certain speed. Like I said, it's still all electronically controlled. With knob, there is nothing preventing them from adding the paddle shifters and manual shift mode. It's just not a popular option on trucks. If it wasn't for the TRX, there would probably be no GT, at least not with console shifter.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just want to retrofit some paddle shifters into my Laramie.

jimbojel1

Reaction score
This guy did it, and confirmed that auto stick works
gee, I have a 17 ram sport and I am doing everything I can think of to get rid of the rotary shift, trying todo a deal to trade for a 13. Anyway for you to reveal the way you put that 16 challenger shift in yours? From what I see, Im not the only one that dislikes the rotary, maybe money to be made to come up with a kit.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My wife makes fun of me when I driver her Traverse and reach for the knob on the dash to put it in drive or park
I do the same thing when I drive my wife’s Chevy Impala. I grab the volume control to shift.😆

Draid

Reaction score
You will also need a new center console.

I didn't need a whole console, just top bezel assembly and the end bezel with the wireless charger. Also cup holder, coin bezel and shifter bezel. I also had to install a shifter mount in the bottom of the console. It does take a couple of wire pin rearranging. I also got a console wiring cable.

HackitZ

Reaction score
going to follow this and see if someone lists whats needed.
i cant stand the knob/dial thing.

sarge391

Reaction score
My previous RAM 2012 had the console shifter, I got the 2017 Rebel with the dial shifter and miss holding the shifter. Plus shifting from R to D and back was so much faster, which I found useful when off road. That's why I'm looking for a way to convert to the console. I joined the forum to see if it is possible but there is so much reading about people complaining. Is there a way to filter that out?
Thanks

Draid

Reaction score
My previous RAM 2012 had the console shifter, I got the 2017 Rebel with the dial shifter and miss holding the shifter. Plus shifting from R to D and back was so much faster, which I found useful when off road. That's why I'm looking for a way to convert to the console. I joined the forum to see if it is possible but there is so much reading about people complaining. Is there a way to filter that out?
Thanks
It can be done. I did it with my 2014 mega cab,then with my 2021 longhorn.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My previous RAM 2012 had the console shifter, I got the 2017 Rebel with the dial shifter and miss holding the shifter. Plus shifting from R to D and back was so much faster, which I found useful when off road. That's why I'm looking for a way to convert to the console. I joined the forum to see if it is possible but there is so much reading about people complaining.

Complaining is part of human nature. 🤷‍♂️ Won't dwell on it.

I had one idea, that a Lokar shifter mounted to a map pocket insert might be connected by cable to a bellcrank on the shift knob shaft and dressed up with some 3D printed covers, to make a professional looking install that wouldn't permanently alter any of the truck's OEM parts. :unsure:

I don't have time to indulge myself in such a project, so I offer the idea free to anyone in the community who wants to undertake. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/