5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Envy

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was also thinking I'd never trust a used TRX or Raptor, etc, even - or especially - with low miles.

Was it purchased for YouTube shenanigan's or posing on the Gram?
Did the PO realize they didn't have the funds to run it so there is deferred maintenance?

Unlikely a little old lady only drove it to church.

If TRX orders happen again, that has to be the way to go I'd think.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After talking to the dealer where I bought my Laramie and reading the Ram TRX Purchasing forum, I can get a better price waiting for the 2024's to open up and do a sold order. I would much rather order the truck like I want it, even if I have to wait 8-12 months. I'm in no hurry, I already own a truck that I like very much.
I just broke my own rule and drove a silver used ‘22 trx this morning. The noise makes my giblets tingle. My trade in is fairly high, but interest rates are stupid right now. I can’t stomach it and will revisit next year.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was also thinking I'd never trust a used TRX or Raptor, etc, even - or especially - with low miles.

Was it purchased for YouTube shenanigan's or posing on the Gram?
Did the PO realize they didn't have the funds to run it so there is deferred maintenance?

Unlikely a little old lady only drove it to church.

If TRX orders happen again, that has to be the way to go I'd think.

I asked the salesman to tell me what the story was on that used TRX. It sounded legit, but it still concerns me that they bought the truck back with 700 miles on the odometer. Now it has accumulated another 700 miles worth of test drives. No thanks, I'll just buy a new one.

I just broke my own rule and drove a silver used ‘22 trx this morning. The noise makes my giblets tingle. My trade in is fairly high, but interest rates are stupid right now. I can’t stomach it and will revisit next year.

How did it drive? Obviously, the HC motor made your ED feel like it has ED, :ROFLMAO: but I'm also interested how it rides. I have a test drive set up in a couple of weeks, but it's killing me waiting to drive one. I dropped by a dealer that has 3 TRX's for sale yesterday, but they wouldn't let me drive them. He did start it up, so I could hear it....that motor has a pretty sweet exhaust note and I love the supercharger whine.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I dropped by a dealer that has 3 TRX's for sale yesterday, but they wouldn't let me drive them. He did start it up, so I could hear it....that motor has a pretty sweet exhaust note and I love the supercharger whine.
Why wouldn't they let you drive it? Was it kept indoors?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I asked the salesman to tell me what the story was on that used TRX. It sounded legit, but it still concerns me that they bought the truck back with 700 miles on the odometer. Now it has accumulated another 700 miles worth of test drives. No thanks, I'll just buy a new one.

How did it drive? Obviously, the HC motor made your ED feel like it has ED, :ROFLMAO: but I'm also interested how it rides. I have a test drive set up in a couple of weeks, but it's killing me waiting to drive one. I dropped by a dealer that has 3 TRX's for sale yesterday, but they wouldn't let me drive them. He did start it up, so I could hear it....that motor has a pretty sweet exhaust note and I love the supercharger whine.
If you’re trying to not buy one, don’t put your butt in that seat. That’s really all I’ve got to say about it. It’s an incredible truck.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If you’re trying to not buy one, don’t put your butt in that seat. That’s really all I’ve got to say about it. It’s an incredible truck.

I really want one, so that's good news to me.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, all three were parked on a back lot. They said, nobody wants to buy a brand new, $100k truck that's been demo'd. I get that.
You would think they’d say “let’s drop the price to move them”. Actually, that makes me think of something. There are specific points starting at 45-60 days on the lot that they start paying crazy interest on their floor plan, and the interest increases with time. If you can figure out how long they’ve been on the lot, you might be able to negotiate 10 or 15 grand off when it’s getting close for time for them to send it to auction.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I ran into the same issue in 2021 when I wanted to test drive a TRX at the local dealership and they wouldn't let anyone test drive it. After what happened with the 2017 Rebel I used to own, I won't buy any vehicle I can't test drive. Which is a lot of the reason I haven't ever ordered a vehicle :D. Who wants to wait for months for a truck to get built, only to reject it after driving it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No, all three were parked on a back lot. They said, nobody wants to buy a brand new, $100k truck that's been demo'd. I get that.
I would of said "nobody wants to give you 100k for a truck that can't be driven" LOL.

Can get a base level TRX for less then what my Limited's MSRP was.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
You would think they’d say “let’s drop the price to move them”. Actually, that makes me think of something. There are specific points starting at 45-60 days on the lot that they start paying crazy interest on their floor plan, and the interest increases with time. If you can figure out how long they’ve been on the lot, you might be able to negotiate 10 or 15 grand off when it’s getting close for time for them to send it to auction.

If you look at the Carfax report, you can figure out when it arrived at the dealership. The silver 22 I was looking at has been on their lot for almost 70 days. They've dropped the price a few times.

I would of said "nobody wants to give you 100k for a truck that can't be driven" LOL.

Can get a base level TRX for less then what my Limited's MSRP was.

Yep, I told him I won't order a $100k truck unless I can drive it first.

You could probably get a Level 1 TRX in the $80's from a few dealerships, if you don't mind a fly in/drive home.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I ordered my '21 Laramie exactly as I wanted it and I absolutely love the truck, but I have always had TRX envy. Every now and then, I do a search of local used TRX inventory and yesterday I found one that's not too far away and it seems to be priced right. It's a 2022, Billet Silver, Advanced Safety Group, Level 2, Red Interior accents, Pano Sunroof, TRX Hood/Exterior Graphics, Mopar Off-Road Running Boards, and the Beadlock Wheels. The only thing it's missing is the BUG. It only has 1,400 miles and it's selling for $94k. MSRP was $98,785. Based on my limited TRX knowledge, this truck seems to be priced right.

If I buy it, I will get the bed Rhino Lined and then swap my Mopar Power Running Boards and BUG tie downs/bed step from my Laramie to the TRX.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 159800

I do the same thing - but my Longhorn has many options I love that the TRX doesn't offer. I tow ALOT so the air suspension is huge for me. I love my split tailgate, I wouldn't want to lose the power side steps. Losing the center console space is annoying. Not sure if TRX has adaptive headlights but wouldn't want to lose that either. I hardly hit the go fast pedal in my truck anymore and it is almost paid off. But man 700hp sounds sweet. I'm on a waitlist for a 911 - that should fill in my power needs... but a TRX still is tempting.... luckily they keep the option sheet low on it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure how I missed this thread for the past several days.

Obviously I'm a TRX fan, so take it for what it's worth. IT IS WORTH IT. You don't have to be an off-roader to enjoy the crap out of it - I get a big sh!t-eating grin every time I drive it.

If you're thinking that there will be better deals for the 2024 model year, be cautious. The most reliable sources I've heard from indicate that the 2024 model year will be the last of the Hellcat - and it will only be a few months long. They're converting everything to the Hurricane engine for 2025, and that's currently slated to begin production on January 8, 2024. Yes, a full year before the actual calendar year of 2025. So my guess is that the last Hellcat TRX's will be (1) hard to come by, and (2) marked up heavily by the dealers.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do the same thing - but my Longhorn has many options I love that the TRX doesn't offer. I tow ALOT so the air suspension is huge for me. I love my split tailgate, I wouldn't want to lose the power side steps. Losing the center console space is annoying. Not sure if TRX has adaptive headlights but wouldn't want to lose that either. I hardly hit the go fast pedal in my truck anymore and it is almost paid off. But man 700hp sounds sweet. I'm on a waitlist for a 911 - that should fill in my power needs... but a TRX still is tempting.... luckily they keep the option sheet low on it.
If you hardly hit the "go fast pedal" then a TRX is a waste for you imo.
You can get the power side steps on a TRX, just not from the factory.

I want\wanted to get a TRX but I don't really want to pay for it. Even my Limited was a crazy expensive purchase. I still owe 50k on it. It is the first car\truck I bought that I could actually do a down payment\money leftover from a trade.
I got my Limited for around 64-65.5k if I recall an TRX was around 95k for what I wanted. At the time there were no discounts even at Mark Dodge but now they are doing a few thousands dollars off MSRP (at least when you could order). I would of been looking at around $1300 a month for just the truck payment even at 84 month term. With current rates even higher.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Obviously I'm a TRX fan, so take it for what it's worth. IT IS WORTH IT. You don't have to be an off-roader to enjoy the crap out of it - I get a big sh!t-eating grin every time I drive it.

If you're thinking that there will be better deals for the 2024 model year, be cautious. The most reliable sources I've heard from indicate that the 2024 model year will be the last of the Hellcat - and it will only be a few months long. They're converting everything to the Hurricane engine for 2025, and that's currently slated to begin production on January 8, 2024. Yes, a full year before the actual calendar year of 2025. So my guess is that the last Hellcat TRX's will be (1) hard to come by, and (2) marked up heavily by the dealers.

Fortunately I have a local dealer that has promised me a sweet deal on a 2024 and MD/Granger are also offering big discounts, otherwise you're right. If Ram announces the end of the Hellcat, dealers will start selling for MSRP++. I'm keeping an eye on yours and TripleB's posts concerning the opening for 2024 TRX orders.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Coming from a 2020 Limited with a lot of the options you're talking about, I'll play devil's advocate.
1. The TRX does have the adaptive LED projector headlights. Almost identical to the Longhorns/Limiteds. The only difference I found so far is that they use both upper and lower LEDs for turn signals, rather than just the top strip like Longhorns/Limiteds. Maybe its just me, but the "accent" LED lighting on the TRX headlights seems brighter than that of my 2020 Limited.
2. My Limited's sliding console had some rattle issues to go along with all the moving parts. It was nice occasionally to move around and have a bit more space, but its very easy to get used to the different console. Just my two cents.
3. Power side steps, while don't come factory on a TRX, can be bought/installed at a dealership to keep your warranty. Full functionality, including button in UConnect. The 20% or 25% off accessories coupons that Mopar sometimes hand out can be applied to the steps as well.
4. The air suspension was occasionally handy, you're not wrong. The TRX is better for handling off-roady situations, the air suspension is better for on-road. Personal preference/use cases.

These reasons are one of the ones I went ahead and spent the extra $$$ to get one now. A lot of dealers have 2024 wait lists building and similar situations, but I trusted few of them before the shortages showed a lot of their true colors (huge markups), even less now.

If you hardly hit the "go fast pedal" then a TRX is a waste for you imo.
You can get the power side steps on a TRX, just not from the factory.

I want\wanted to get a TRX but I don't really want to pay for it. Even my Limited was a crazy expensive purchase. I still owe 50k on it. It is the first car\truck I bought that I could actually do a down payment\money leftover from a trade.
I got my Limited for around 64-65.5k if I recall an TRX was around 95k for what I wanted. At the time there were no discounts even at Mark Dodge but now they are doing a few thousands dollars off MSRP (at least when you could order). I would of been looking at around $1300 a month for just the truck payment even at 84 month term. With current rates even higher.
Agreed. This truck was more expensive then my first house (before trade and down payment). Its the most my wife and I have ever spent on a vehicle. If they weren't getting rid of it, so to speak, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger quite yet. My in-laws are now questioning my and my wife's financial smarts (LOL).

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Well crap! I just drove a 2022 Level 2 TRX with 17,000 miles on it and I couldn't be more disappointed. The condition of the body was good, but the interior was hammered. If I had to guess, it looked like the interior had 100,000 miles worth of wear. A 4x6" patch of powder coating was completely worn off, down to the metal, on the power running boards. It had at least 10 drops of oil dripping off of the skid plate (could have been a sloppy oil change). The display was so dim, I could barely read it and I tried every setting to get it brighter. The exhaust was modified because it was obnoxiously loud. The tips were stock, so I'm guessing the muffler was replaced. The power was awesome, but it wasn't enough to overcome the fact that that truck was a piece of junk.

I will not make a decision on a TRX until I get a chance to drive a 2023 in a couple of weeks, but right now I'm 75/25 in favor of keeping my Laramie. When I drove away from the dealership, my wife said, "your truck is sooo much nicer". I was thinking the same thing.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I just drove a clean 2022 TRX with 9,500 miles on it. Holy crap, what a difference! It had a lot more power and torque than the one I drove yesterday. It rode much smoother and it felt tight. It actually startled me when I hammered the gas, getting on the freeway. My wife was startled too...she thought the truck was going to do a wheelie. 😆 They want $83,000 for it, but it is a Level 1 truck. The big negative for me was, it's a Canadian truck and it's been in a front end collision. For those two reasons, I passed on it, but I am now 100% back in the TRX game. :cool:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just drove a clean 2022 TRX with 9,500 miles on it. Holy crap, what a difference! It had a lot more power and torque than the one I drove yesterday. It rode much smoother and it felt tight. It actually startled me when I hammered the gas, getting on the freeway. My wife was startled too...she thought the truck was going to do a wheelie. 😆 They want $83,000 for it, but it is a Level 1 truck. The big negative for me was, it's a Canadian truck and it's been in a front end collision. For those two reasons, I passed on it, but I am now 100% back in the TRX game. :cool:
Yeah, it’ll take your breath away if you’re not ready for it. Watch out for the torque steer too, the TRX pulls a little to the right on WOT - there has been more than one accident because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread