5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Envy

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered my '21 Laramie exactly as I wanted it and I absolutely love the truck, but I have always had TRX envy. Every now and then, I do a search of local used TRX inventory and yesterday I found one that's not too far away and it seems to be priced right. It's a 2022, Billet Silver, Advanced Safety Group, Level 2, Red Interior accents, Pano Sunroof, TRX Hood/Exterior Graphics, Mopar Off-Road Running Boards, and the Beadlock Wheels. The only thing it's missing is the BUG. It only has 1,400 miles and it's selling for $94k. MSRP was $98,785. Based on my limited TRX knowledge, this truck seems to be priced right.

If I buy it, I will get the bed Rhino Lined and then swap my Mopar Power Running Boards and BUG tie downs/bed step from my Laramie to the TRX.

What do you guys think?

IMG_20230528_193633.jpg

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's beautiful but I couldn't afford it. If I could, I would. Can't comment on price though. That's over twice what I paid for my Bighorn, but if you can afford it and like it, why not? Especially not knowing what the future holds for the ICE. I can see you whipping that baby out of the garage in 2045 running from the future police in their electric cars. They'll never be able to catch you off road. Just don't forget to store the gas too! :)

BTB123

Reaction score
That thing is sweet. I’ve always loved the TRX. Best looking truck on the road IMO.
But, 94 grand for a truck that is built to off-road when 90 percent of owners dont use it for its intended purpose and hardly ever leave the pavement is a total waste IMO. I can afford it but can’t justify it. You will probably also take a beating on your 21 to boot. I say keep your that sweet truck of yours. My opinion only, of course.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’d already have one if interest rates weren’t so crappy. It’s an awesome toy. I was planning on late 2024 to get into one by throwing down a bunch of cash, but now that the hurricane may go in the ‘25 MY, I don’t know what I’ll do other than wait. I may buy a used ‘24 in ‘25. That was a bunch of babbling to say:

1685366631215.gif

Oh, and good choice on the color.

Edit: may be worth contacting some dealers like Mark Dodge or Koons to see if you can get a large discount on a new one. Dealers in general are hurting for business right now.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: may be worth contacting some dealers like Mark Dodge or Koons to see if you can get a large discount on a new one. Dealers in general are hurting for business right now.
Coming from my experience with TRX shopping recently, I found and bought a new one at MSRP, because the dealers around my area (within approximately a 2 hour radius) will not budge on TRX prices.

The ones in my immediate area (1 hour or less) are selling them even higher. A level 2/safety group/BUG/etc. 2021 Granite Crystal with almost 30k miles and a tiny bit of body damage (the small bit of panel behind the passenger side rear wheel had a huge dent) sold for about $90k recently. They are also selling Lunar editions at more than $17k over sticker, and they sold Havocs for $10-15k over.

I did finally find one a little over 3 hours away at MSRP, but it definitely was hard to find. I also caught it within two days of going on the market, otherwise it would have been sold already.

If you can afford it, I'd say do it as well. Rumors are all over the place for 2024s, but if you are willing to take a chance, you can wait and potentially get $9k-$11k off MSRP on a factory order from some dealers. I didn't want to take the chance on price jumps/even higher demand for a potential "last call" model year and the wait time (some are only waiting 2 months for their 2023s, others are over 6), so I snagged one now.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That thing is sweet. I’ve always loved the TRX. Best looking truck on the road IMO.
But, 94 grand for a truck that is built to off-road when 90 percent of owners dont use it for its intended purpose and hardly ever leave the pavement is a total waste IMO. I can afford it but can’t justify it. You will probably also take a beating on your 21 to boot. I say keep your that sweet truck of yours. My opinion only, of course.

You're pretty much spot on. This is an absolutely stupid purchase for me. I don't do much off-road (although I'll be tempted to do more), I don't need 702 HP, 35" tires, Baja suspension, etc. What it comes down to is, I want a TRX. I've been tossing around the idea of getting a muscle car, so I thought, why not kill two birds with one stone?

I'm not sure how I'm going to do selling my truck. I'll see what the trade in value is, to get an idea.

I’d already have one if interest rates weren’t so crappy. It’s an awesome toy. I was planning on late 2024 to get into one by throwing down a bunch of cash, but now that the hurricane may go in the ‘25 MY, I don’t know what I’ll do other than wait. I may buy a used ‘24 in ‘25. That was a bunch of babbling to say:

View attachment 159821

Oh, and good choice on the color.

The current interest rates would be a deal breaker for me too. I checked new inventory and the prices/availability aren't very good. There are a few low mile TRX's for sale on the west coast...at least the trucks I'd consider.

I haven't driven a TRX, but I'm told that a test dive will make my decision a lot easier.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're pretty much spot on. This is an absolutely stupid purchase for me. I don't do much off-road (although I'll be tempted to do more), I don't need 702 HP, 35" tires, Baja suspension, etc. What it comes down to is, I want a TRX. I've been tossing around the idea of getting a muscle car, so I thought, why not kill two birds with one stone?

I'm not sure how I'm going to do selling my truck. I'll see what the trade in value is, to get an idea.

The current interest rates would be a deal breaker for me too. I checked new inventory and the prices/availability aren't very good. There are a few low mile TRX's for sale on the west coast...at least the one's I'd consider.

I haven't driven a TRX, but I'm told that a test dive will make my decision a lot easier.
That’s exactly why I won’t drive one at the dealer. I might as well just sign over a check once my butt hits the seat.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you are not going to go off-road why don't you just put a supercharger in your 5.7?
The TRX has too much offroad things to be compared to a muscle car for it's price point imo.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty good deal if you're wanting a TRX. I say do it if that's what you really want. Your Laramie is a nice truck, and you say you're completely happy with it. But if that's the case you probably wouldn't be shopping for a TRX. :p

BTB123

Reaction score
I LOVE the TRX. I just can’t justify one. If you really want one and can swing it, go for it. Life only comes around once. Good luck. Send pics of that bad *** if you pull the trigger.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If you are not going to go off-road why don't you just put a supercharger in your 5.7?
The TRX has too much offroad things to be compared to a muscle car for it's price point imo.

I'm not interested in voiding my warranty. I didn't say I don't go off-road, I just don't do much of it...yet. I already have a Porsche, so I need a truck. The TRX fits the bill of a muscle car/truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm not interested in voiding my warranty. I didn't say I don't go off-road, I just don't do much of it...yet. I already have a Porsche, so I need a truck. The TRX fits the bill of a muscle car/truck.
Of course you know that now you're obliged to post a pic of your Porsche.

I'm more partial to Audi. This is my dream car, almost 600 hp/tq awd fun...
1685417584497.png

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Of course you know that now you're obliged to post a pic of your Porsche.

I'm more partial to Audi. This is my dream car, almost 600 hp/tq awd fun...
View attachment 159861

It's just a Macan. I can't get in or out of a 911 or Cayman, so it's either the Macan or Cayenne. I prefer the Macan between the two, especially the GTS. That's the next car.

The day we picked it up.
20230529_210324.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s where I’m getting to. After almost 30 years of modifying vehicles (for myself and part time for ~10 years for a business), I’m getting tired of messing with this stuff myself and destroying resale value and reliability. For on-road use, I’m going to be sticking to special build vehicles in the future (i.e., TRX, Raptor, etc) and minimally modding if there’s something I just can’t bear leaving alone. Off-road use is another story.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's just a Macan. I can't get in or out of a 911 or Cayman, so it's either the Macan or Cayenne. I prefer the Macan between the two, especially the GTS. That's the next car.

The day we picked it up.
View attachment 159862
Nice car. (y) A Porsche is a Porsche. I mean, what good is having a car you can't get in or out of? Keep us posted on what you decide about the TRX.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Idahoktm do you drive a lot each day? Are you 100% sure you are ready to deal with filling up with fuel at the frequency the TRX will require? I wanted to keep the dreaded “mpgs” out of the conversation, but it’s probably worth considering with how volatile energy markets are right now.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Nice car. (y) A Porsche is a Porsche. I mean, what good is having a car you can't get in or out of? Keep us posted on what you decide about the TRX.

Thanks. After 3 back surgeries, it's a little easier, but now that I've had the Macan for a few years I doubt we'll buy anything else.

@Idahoktm do you drive a lot each day? Are you 100% sure you are ready to deal with filling up with fuel at the frequency the TRX will require? I wanted to keep the dreaded “mpgs” out of the conversation, but it’s probably worth considering with how volatile energy markets are right now.
Actually, the poor MPG's of the TRX isn't a big factor for me. Here's how many miles I've driven in 22 months. Granted, I did recover from 3 back surgeries and was off work for a while, but I would have driven maybe 2-3,000 miles more. Using current gas prices, with the Laramie using regular and the TRX using premium, I'll spend about $600 more per year for gas.

20230528_181013.jpg

I really like my Laramie, so for me to make the switch, the TRX will need to blow me away. I'm already impressed with the looks, but the performance. ride, etc. will need to do the rest. If not, I'll just walk away. It's funny, I was agonizing over the same thing 3 years ago when we were car shopping and I said the same thing about the Porsche.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. After 3 back surgeries, it's a little easier, but now that I've had the Macan for a few years I doubt we'll buy anything else.

Actually, the poor MPG's of the TRX isn't a big factor for me. Here's how many miles I've driven in 22 months. Granted, I did recover from 3 back surgeries and was off work for a while, but I would have driven maybe 2-3,000 miles more. Using current gas prices, with the Laramie using regular and the TRX using premium, I'll spend about $600 more per year for gas.

View attachment 159880

I really like my Laramie, so for me to make the switch, the TRX will need to blow me away. I'm already impressed with the looks, but the performance. ride, etc. will need to do the rest. If not, I'll just walk away. It's funny, I was agonizing over the same thing 3 years ago when we were car shopping and I said the same thing about the Porsche.
Good, sounds like you won’t have any regrets. I should’ve jumped on it when interest rates were low, but I held back on buying a TRX because I struggled with the below pic (just an estimate). I’m over it now, though. I have put 28k on my ecodiesel in 1 year and 5 months, and that’s only doing long trips 3 days a week on average.

IMG_0080.jpeg
Edit: updated pic for more accurate results.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpeg
    IMG_0079.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 21

Idahoktm

Reaction score
After talking to the dealer where I bought my Laramie and reading the Ram TRX Purchasing forum, I can get a better price waiting for the 2024's to open up and do a sold order. I would much rather order the truck like I want it, even if I have to wait 8-12 months. I'm in no hurry, I already own a truck that I like very much.

Users who are viewing this thread