5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trucks with and without Anti-Spin

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK. speedyV educate me please.:geek:. do both not engage the front wheels when slipping?
No, sir. As @JXL118 wrote, the auto 4WD system engages one or both FRONT wheels (depending on how the Ram's system is designed) when one or both of the rear wheels is slipping. It's ironic to call it an auto "4WD" system, since it only engages when one or both of the rear wheels isn't really driving. But that's beside the point. The limited-slip and electronic locking REAR differentials have nothing to do with the front of the truck.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a crying shame that Ram doesn't borrow the Quadra Drive 2 and tracton control methods from the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It truly is a superior system. The rear diff locks on demand and 100% torque can be directed to any wheel. It's as sure footed as a mountain goat.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
I see by your sig you have a sport, does it have antispin or a locking diff? And if not how do you find driving it in winter?

it has the anti-spin. but during winter (3 months a year where i am) if the roads are covered with snow - i put it in 4 high. if the wether is "iffy" 4- auto . - rest of the year 2 wd.

habfan

Reaction score
No. Been through some good rains down here in FL at highway speeds and city driving. Truck feels planted/no issues yet. Maybe the traction control for 19 does a good job? Regardless, I want it lol. Doh on my part for not double checking the window sticker.
Need to contact Dodge/Ram dealership to see what the damage would be. Some 4th Gen threads some dealers claimed they had to replace the axle while others would just simply swap the diff.
So, did you ever call the dealer to see what it’d cost to put the antispin diff on? And how long do the anti spins last before they need to be replaced?

John813

Reaction score
So, did you ever call the dealer to see what it’d cost to put the antispin diff on? And how long do the anti spins last before they need to be replaced?

Not yet. Hoping to get that quote by the weekend.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you considering a 1500 with auto 4wd... remember, it's not an offroad tool, it's a driving aid should road conditions change. That's why the Rebel has a different transfer case... so this doesn't happen...

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the transfer case and everything to do with circumstance and open differentials

So you think a 1500 with Auto 4wd doesn't have a different transfer case? I highly suggest you do a little reading up on auto 4wd drivetrains.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand the transfer case differences. However, "that" scenario in the video has nothing to do with the transfer case. That issue isn't related to the delay caused by the ball clutch that people complain about because they don't understand how to use the system properly. It's simply a truck that was left idling on ice with it in 4 low. You can even see in the video real quick that the traction control is turned off (or is malfunctioning because the ESP light is on in the cluster). As soon as power is applied to that front axle it will lock in and remain locked under load until the load is reduced or the direction of the load is changed (like switching from drive to reverse)

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding the video... Looks like he's trying to highlight the fact that one wheel is stationary on each axle.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True enough... I got sidetracked by someone mentioning Auto 4wd... which in more serious off road situations is useless, regardless of open or lsd. It's a luxury truck item.... if you're serious about offroad, a Limited or loaded Longhorn probably isn't the best option. In my very humble opinion.

Hijack over.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If traction control was working, the spinning wheel would be braked and torque would have transfered to the opposite wheel, right? My Jeep Grand Cherokee can apply 100% torque to any wheel. It's fulltime 4WD.

As far as the transfer case goes, other than the 4 auto clutch, there is no difference in function based on what I read. Both transfer torque to the front axle. Does the Rebel have lockers in the front? We know the rear axle is an E-locker on Off Road Group equiped trucks.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That was a 2013 Outdoorsman and maybe they changed it for 2014 but mine doesn't have Auto 4wd. But I do have LSD.

Man to be stuck in your own driveway.:LOL:

1Raider

Reaction score
Guys this question may have been already covered so excuse me if it has..
With the Off Road group it comes with the E-locker,can you still get the anti spin with the Off Road group?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the Off Road group it comes with the E-locker,can you still get the anti spin with the Off Road group?

I believe it's one or the other

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@202snowman is right; if you opt for the Off Road Group, you'll get the E-Locker.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So you cant get the anti spin diff at all with the ORG?
The feature availability guide (as well as the online configurator) show that the E-Locker comes with the Off Road Group. It's not a selectable option. The feature availability guide also states, "...electronic locking and anti-spin are mutually exclusive" (in case that isn't obvious).

fireron

Reaction score
In the discussion of the anti-spin it should be remembered the traction control system of the truck. I bet the folks with anti-spin could not tell whether that system or the traction control was responsible for getting traction and what percentage each system provided said traction.

The elocker is positive traction while it is engaged and even if it shuts off at a certain speed the traction control system will activate. A clutch activated system is a wearing system similar to brakes but you must take apart the differential to tell when it needs to have the clutches replaced.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can confirm as of this weekend that the traction control is not calibrated well enough to actually transfer power from side to side in any 4wd setting if one or more wheels is on ice and the other is on dry ground... Consider this my first regret with my Ram, no anti spin or elocker on my truck. My Tundra was an open rear diff as well (they don't offer any mechanical limited slip or locker at all on those trucks), but in any 4wd mode, the traction control would clamp down on the spinning wheel and the entire truck would move if only one wheel had traction. It was even calibrated differently for 4Lo so that it could take advantage of the additional wheel torque. With the Ram, gas pedal is throttled down to barely above idle once it senses any wheel slip, not allowing enough wheel spin to be useful when applying the brakes on one side of the truck to shift torque to the other side. It was seriously disappointing. If you turn off the stability control, obviously the traction control goes away with that too, further not helping the situation.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I just put a deposit on a truck here in Pennsylvania today which seems like a great deal. Additional $4000 off because it's a demo with 1600 miles on it, but I'm just realizing it doesn't have an anti-spin differential. Should I cancel it? I'm seriously concerned since I live up a big hill. My wife and I usually laugh at people with FWD cars losing traction in snow storms and not being able to get up the hill. Will this happen to me even with 4WD? I'm very conflicted as they've run my credit already and I'm supposed to pick it up on Saturday! I'm seriously not sure what to do. I just emailed the sales girl and told her of my concerns. Any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread