5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck showing incorrect outside temperature

RubyRam

Reaction score
Joining the inaccurate temperature club. Brand new 2020 Limited and the outside temp is off 4-5 degs. Every other vehicle I’ve owned has been close or +|- 1 deg. Come on Ram.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Joining the inaccurate temperature club. Brand new 2020 Limited and the outside temp is off 4-5 degs. Every other vehicle I’ve owned has been close or +|- 1 deg. Come on Ram.

I apologize for the frustration, @RubyRam. If you decide to address this with your dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. I would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager so that both you and your dealer have an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just noticed this today on my 6 day old truck. Read 10+ degrees high before slowly reaching normal.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was surprised to see my truck reading >100° today when it is only in the upper-70s. I'm guessing that it's because the truck spent most of the day in the sun, but my previous car had no problem showing the outside temp accurately after sitting in the sun. After a 20 minute drive home it was still reading at 90°.

Anybody else seen this?

View attachment 27792 View attachment 27793

It's because some bone head at FCA decided to move the ambient sensor from a perfect location, shaded, behind the front grille to a terrible location inside the black, heat soaked, sun exposed mirror cap on the drivers door. You'll find that it's great at night, but during the day it'll never be accurate.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It's because some bone head at FCA decided to move the ambient sensor from a perfect location, shaded, behind the front grille to a terrible location inside the black, heat soaked, sun exposed mirror cap on the drivers door. You'll find that it's great at night, but during the day it'll never be accurate.
Mine is never accurate, even garaged. The problem is that it takes very long to get to the correct temperature.

Sometimes up to ten minutes, which basically renders it useless for all intents and purposes.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does ANYONE have the correct temperature reading?

Today It read 23 degrees high when I turned on the truck (77 truck vs 54 actual). After a half hour of driving it got down to 62, still way high.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is consistently 21-23deg F off, no matter the ambient temp or driving condition. I can be 5hrs on the interstate and still be off by as much. I’ve had my entire driver side mirror replaced (and my door panel they broke in doing so) and the sensor itself. Mine appears to be a temp offset issue... but clearly the techs don’t know how to resolve it. Not sure what to do from here, but it’s more than a minor annoyance with the auto-start climate features.

stronbl

Reaction score
I have the same problem too. 2020 Limited purchased in July with 1600 miles - so virtually brand new. Can easily be 10+ degrees off at the start (higher than actual). Eventually, say after 10-15 minutes driving, it gets close but is always 2-4 degrees too high. All our other vehicles are within +/- 1 degree and adjust to the ambient temperature within 1-2 minutes of driving. This technology isn't new and not that hard to get it right. Very surprised Ram has this issue and can't seem to get it fixed.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have the same problem too. 2020 Limited purchased in July with 1600 miles - so virtually brand new. Can easily be 10+ degrees off at the start (higher than actual). Eventually, say after 10-15 minutes driving, it gets close but is always 2-4 degrees too high. All our other vehicles are within +/- 1 degree and adjust to the ambient temperature within 1-2 minutes of driving. This technology isn't new and not that hard to get it right. Very surprised Ram has this issue and can't seem to get it fixed.
They've also been making trucks with leaks, clunks, and brake squeal for almost three years, and they can't figure those out either, so no, not surprised at all... :rolleyes:

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still wondering if anyone has the correct temperature? Or has had it incorrect, but had a successful repair?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, which is why most vehicles temp comes down to actual with a minute or two of driving (because it's behind the front grille in the shade)
Ours, being in the side view mirror housing, stays cooking even when frontal airflow is introduced.
I wonder why they moved it? Grill shudders?

bcarp36

Reaction score
Same issue in my 2020 Big Horn. It's 3 weeks old and temp read fine until last week. Now it's 20-30 degrees above actual temp. Yesterday, on my way to work it read 85, when actual temp was 40. Same today... So frustrating!

I also got the Auto Start/Stop service message yesterday on the way to work. It was gone for the drive home, but really makes me question the electronics/computer on this pickup.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Does ANYONE have the correct temperature reading?

Today It read 23 degrees high when I turned on the truck (77 truck vs 54 actual). After a half hour of driving it got down to 62, still way high.
My EVIC temp is always within a couple degrees of what my phone reports OAT. If it's been sitting in the sun it takes a few minutes to come back down. My Wrangler had it low, behind the grille. It sat between my winch and the radiator so it always read too warm in the summer months.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same issue in my 2020 Big Horn. It's 3 weeks old and temp read fine until last week. Now it's 20-30 degrees above actual temp. Yesterday, on my way to work it read 85, when actual temp was 40. Same today... So frustrating!

I also got the Auto Start/Stop service message yesterday on the way to work. It was gone for the drive home, but really makes me question the electronics/computer on this pickup.

This is my exact experience. Yours and mine seem unique, as most other complaints are only a few degrees off after driving for 10-15mins. Mine is wrong always, and always high by 20-30F.

It’s been an inconvenience with the auto start features, I get cooled seats on when it’s chilly outside. Now I’m realizing how much I watch that sensor to understand rain/ice conditions near freezing, though.

I really want this fixed, but not sure what to try next. I’ve had mine to the dealer twice and it’s still not resolved.

KevinSWPA

Reaction score
I noticed this today too, temp was maybe mid 70's and it said it was 90. Was that way until I drove it through an automated car wash and it started reading correctly.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still wondering if anyone has the correct temperature? Or has had it incorrect, but had a successful repair?
Mine is always within 2 degrees of my outside house temperature. I don't believe I've ever experienced serious hot soak from sitting in the sun, but mine being a Laramie has a chrome upper cover which probably reduces the effects.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042595 miles.

tom318

Reaction score
Joining the club. When parked outside mine is always 15-25deg off. After 15-20min drive it does seem to sort it self out but I now feel the frustration when it wasn’t that warm out and I came into the car with seats cooled and ac blasted, it was 65 out and car was reading 88.

Users who are viewing this thread