5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck showing incorrect outside temperature

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brought mine back in last week, and for a 3rd time they replaced the ambient temperature sensor. And for a 3rd time, my temp is off by 20-25F. How many times do we need to replace the same component to understand it’s not the cause?

So at this point this issue has caused my truck to be in 3x. They’ve replaced the complete driver side mirror, complete driver side door panel (since they broke it when replacing the mirror, and individual sensor two other times.

Does anyone know if there’s a method to input a manual calibration offset? The sensor is clearly working, it’s drifting along with actual air temp, just 20-25F high. If I could input a 22F negative offset, everything would be fine.

To be clear, mine never reaches accurate temp regardless of where it’s parked or how long it’s driven.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Mine never did / never does either. In my case they replaced the radio 2 times. Dealers are throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks on these issues, even after 2 1/2 years of these vehicles being on the road. Pathetic.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brought mine back in last week, and for a 3rd time they replaced the ambient temperature sensor. And for a 3rd time, my temp is off by 20-25F. How many times do we need to replace the same component to understand it’s not the cause?

So at this point this issue has caused my truck to be in 3x. They’ve replaced the complete driver side mirror, complete driver side door panel (since they broke it when replacing the mirror, and individual sensor two other times.

Does anyone know if there’s a method to input a manual calibration offset? The sensor is clearly working, it’s drifting along with actual air temp, just 20-25F high. If I could input a 22F negative offset, everything would be fine.

To be clear, mine never reaches accurate temp regardless of where it’s parked or how long it’s driven.
Three sensors in a row producing the same results? Doubtful. There probably is a set point in NVM that is already corrupted producing the incorrect value. Or there could be a communications error in the system. If this is beyond the technicians skill level, time for an escalation.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044703 miles.

RubyRam

Reaction score

I feel better now, mine is only off 2-3 degs.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Three sensors in a row producing the same results? Doubtful. There probably is a set point in NVM that is already corrupted producing the incorrect value. Or there could be a communications error in the system. If this is beyond the technicians skill level, time for an escalation.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044703 miles.

How do I go about escalating?

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Lemon law it due to incorrect temperature display. That would be impressive haha.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do I go about escalating?
The tech. could open a STAR case, or they have a number to call for field assistance.

Best regards,
Dusty

stronbl

Reaction score

Is your temperature off by 20-25 degrees at all times? The reason I ask is mine is off on sunny days when the sun hits directly on the driver's side mirror. Usually off at most by 10 - 12 degrees. But at night or on cloudy days it's surprisingly close to temperature from other sources (like within 1 degree or spot on), i.e. watch, other vehicles we own, etc. Seems like it is the location on the driver's side mirror that is my issue. Good luck.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is your temperature off by 20-25 degrees at all times? The reason I ask is mine is off on sunny days when the sun hits directly on the driver's side mirror. Usually off at most by 10 - 12 degrees. But at night or on cloudy days it's surprisingly close to temperature from other sources (like within 1 degree or spot on), i.e. watch, other vehicles we own, etc. Seems like it is the location on the driver's side mirror that is my issue. Good luck.

Mine is within that same 20-25F error at all times. I park in a garage so my direct sunlight exposures while not driving are pretty minimal. Seems my drift is usually pretty small, just there is a consistent offset.

ramchaser

Reaction score
There is a known star case for this. They replace the sensor in the mirror. The star case is attached.

Attachments

• Ambient Air temp star case.pdf
    376 KB · Views: 49

y7eah

Reaction score
It's worth noting that the ambient sensor part number changed in 2021. The old one is made in China and has a plastic stub that sticks out of the mirror with a small wire lead on it. The new one is made in Japan and the whole stub appears to be metal and likely the sensor. I just installed and will update if it is more accurate. I was seeing temps 5-10 degrees off in the winter and have a 19 Laramie.

2019 Part: 68138681ae
2021 Part: 68457701aa

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
In my opinion it is only a guess a mate anyway. Depends on if the sun is hitting that side or not. Yes it should be closer to a real temp gauge but it would not be something it would obsess about. I find that it fluctuates when driving anyway.

good luck I hope you get it fixed.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Thanks to the TSB I got from here my dealer ordered a new sensor for me, I'll let you know if there is any improvement.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Got the new sensor installed Monday, it's just as INACCURATE as the old one. On to the next unsolvable issue.......

jchickman

Reaction score
I’ve only had my used 2019 for about 2 weeks and have noticed 20-30 degree over reporting as well. I hope Ram comes up with a solution since it’s already caused inconvenience with the remote start features.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was off by 40F yesterday, which was enough to finally flag a CEL.

I’m not sure how the system knew there was a sensor issue, however... as it’s been off by around 25F for nearly a year. Maybe it finally figured out I’m using seat heat and window defrost too much when it’s “70F” out?
11e851284059ef6d431ae93849ec8d9d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread