5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck showing incorrect outside temperature

Keith NJ

Reaction score
Well, I'm joining the club. I remote started my truck in today's crispy 19F, hoping to have a nicely warmed up seat and steering wheel when I get in. Unfortunately, the truck "thought" it was... 50F outside! That's what my Uconnect was displaying and of course the seat and wheel heater did not kick in. Truck was parked in the sun and the black mirror cover was warm-ish to touch... I guess that's what confused the sensor. What a terrible design flaw and a useless feature. Geez. :-(
Same thing happening to me. sucks you pay 70k for a truck and a thing doesn't work right

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Well here's a first for me. My truck didn't want to display a temp at all! Weather app said it was -34C with a real feel of -49C.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine had ramped up to about 55-60F off in the last few days, and today my right side turn signals went out. I’m sure hoping the two items are related. Bringing it in for the 4th attempt to fix this tomorrow.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My advice is this is one issue you should write off as un fixable. Maybe the next model.

As long as I’m under warranty I’ll continue on this quest. What started as a minor inconvenience on my vehicle has now resulted in a CEL which also prohibits my use of Remote Start.

Since I’m also encountering turn signal failures and parking sensor irregularities, I’d really like to understand what the root cause of the electrical issues actually is. Since it sounds were in the minority, I have some hope this can be resolved once the fault is determined.

I’ll let you know what I learn when I get the truck back.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a recap and follow-up, my sensor has been off by 20-25F for quite a while, and recently spiked up to 60F+ off of actual. I’ve had multiple new sensors and wiring installed I’ve the pst 9 months without long-term improvement.

Thankfully, I also had some other electrical issues pop up in the past week, which pointed the dealer towards the BCM as my issue. They replaced the BCM yesterday, and all of my sensor issues appear resolved. Hopefully this will remain for the long-term, but for the time being it appears I am good to go!

Nearly a month in, and my issues are still gone. If you’re fighting this issue, have your dealer consider the BCM as a next option if the sensor replacement doesn’t resolve your problem.

Last edited:

shild

Reaction score
Getting on the bus today. 2019 Powerwagon and mine reads 15f high which is a major issue as I drive on snow, rain, freezing rain roads all the time and use the temp to guesstimate road surface temps.

SilasB

Reaction score
Noticed today that temp was reading 10 degree under air temp after start up. About 15 mins later it was reading 10 degrees over air temp.

2021 Laramie that's about to hit 1,000 miles.

Something to keep an eye on.

William1034

Reaction score
The guys who designed the thermostats, and A/C temp controls must have been as high as kites. I have to set the A/C to 67 too cool things off, in the winter 71 will cook your balls off. I can’t tell what they were thinking.

e55amg2

Reaction score
I must be the odd man out here. Mine is always within +/-2 degrees of ambient (once moving). That's as accurate as any other vehicle I've owned or driven. The only time it's off is when I've been parked in the sun on a jobsite all day (within a minute or two of driving it's back to near ambient or ambient. Or, if I wash the truck, it reads below a 10-15 degrees until I drive for 2 minutes or so.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never had a more inaccurate outside thermometer in any vehicle than in my 2020 Limited. Placing the sensor inside a mirror housing was such a moronic decision.
Just put it where everyone else does. It may be way off when you first get in the truck, but as soon as you start driving it adjusts.
Having it encased in a side view mirror takes forever to adjust, especially if the sun has been shining on it.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I have never had a more inaccurate outside thermometer in any vehicle than in my 2020 Limited. Placing the sensor inside a mirror housing was such a moronic decision.
Just put it where everyone else does. It may be way off when you first get in the truck, but as soon as you start driving it adjusts.
Having it encased in a side view mirror takes forever to adjust, especially if the sun has been shining on it.
When they had a meeting with the design engineers on this truck they must have said " how can we fix things that aren't broke ...."

Reactions: Buz
U

User_3336

which is . . . .?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is usually high on initial start up especially in the summer time, once moving it goes down to within 5 degrees. That said the temperature on a blacktop roadway or parking lot is naturally going to be higher then the surrounding area.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
which is . . . .?
I don't know where other car manufacturers put their outside temp gauges. Maybe in the front grill area or under a wheel well?
But wherever they are usually located isn't inside a plastic case that takes forever to adjust, especially when the sun shines on the plastic case and heats the inside up.
Most cars adjust within a minute or two of driving. Mine does not when the sun shines on the driver side view mirror.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Yup, it’s almost always way off.
After sitting in the sun, mine is way high but generally within "three miles" and a few minutes matches up either exactly or within a degree or so from the bank temp I drive by every day...three miles from home... It seems to match my old 2015 relationally to the bank. Same for my Renegade daily driver.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I don't know where other car manufacturers put their outside temp gauges. Maybe in the front grill area or under a wheel well?
But wherever they are usually located isn't inside a plastic case that takes forever to adjust, especially when the sun shines on the plastic case and heats the inside up.
Most cars adjust within a minute or two of driving. Mine does not when the sun shines on the driver side view mirror.
Agree fully. The RAM implementation is pretty idiotic. Mine would take forever to adjust.

In winter time where I would've liked the seats warmed up w/ remote start, they would never do this since inside the garage it would be ~ 10-15 deg warmer, defeating the purpose. Even pulling the vehicle out, it would not be up to temp until several miles and easily >10 min of driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online