5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Off - Press Brake and Push Button To Start

DeadBattery

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn has been having dead battery issues and I’m at my wits end. Initially thought it was just a non-OEM battery issue. Recently, I was checking my security cameras (for other reasons) and noticed my truck screens coming on and off while it was sitting off, all night long. If I don’t drive the truck for 24 hours it has to be jumped. I’ve taken it to the dealership 3 times: 1) replaced the battery, 2) flashed the BCM/PCM flash/update, 3) wasn’t reproducible and was told my keys were too close to the vehicle. Before the third visit I had taken a 5+ hour drive and I wonder whether that may have made the problem better.

The first day home I stashed the key fobs in the other side of the house and… nothing, screens stayed off. One day later it has started back up. I have both key fobs in faraday bags in the back of the house. I have tried uninstalling the UConnect app on my phone. No luck. It is driving me crazy, I’m hoping someone out there has found a solution to this problem. I’ve seen other posts saying it may be related to running boards, but I don’t have them on my vehicle.

The instrument panel message pops up every few minutes and stays in for 30-45 seconds, sometimes (not everytime) the radio screen also turns on and says “RAM” then they both quickly shut off. Attached is a picture from a timelapse.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 694A5D28-8D60-4680-888E-7EF541CCFF60.png
    694A5D28-8D60-4680-888E-7EF541CCFF60.png
    673.7 KB · Views: 141

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recently had my original battery replace under warranty, just purchase a faraday box and started to used it 2 days ago. My truck continues to cycle just like yours. Original battery was good for 1.5 years. I am kind of expecting this new battery to do the same. Hoping no less than that. And hoping ram does something about this cause i don't want to purchase a new battery every 1.5 years once truck is out of warranty.
In all my searches i found 2 cases.
For one truck they changed the push start button. There wasn't an update so maybe that fix it
Another the 12" screen was change and something else can't remeber what it was so maybe that fix it as well as there wasn't any update either.
And many here have upgraded battery to an agm or an h8

DeadBattery

Reaction score
I’ve uninstalled UConnect and turned off the wifi hotspot cellular service to the truck to see if this changes anything as well.

It’s not an issue if I drive it every day. Maybe that’s Ram’s master plan to make me drive my truck every day to put on more miles to get to a new truck sooner :p

HBNNV

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn has been having dead battery issues and I’m at my wits end. Initially thought it was just a non-OEM battery issue. Recently, I was checking my security cameras (for other reasons) and noticed my truck screens coming on and off while it was sitting off, all night long. If I don’t drive the truck for 24 hours it has to be jumped. I’ve taken it to the dealership 3 times: 1) replaced the battery, 2) flashed the BCM/PCM flash/update, 3) wasn’t reproducible and was told my keys were too close to the vehicle. Before the third visit I had taken a 5+ hour drive and I wonder whether that may have made the problem better.

The first day home I stashed the key fobs in the other side of the house and… nothing, screens stayed off. One day later it has started back up. I have both key fobs in faraday bags in the back of the house. I have tried uninstalling the UConnect app on my phone. No luck. It is driving me crazy, I’m hoping someone out there has found a solution to this problem. I’ve seen other posts saying it may be related to running boards, but I don’t have them on my vehicle.

The instrument panel message pops up every few minutes and stays in for 30-45 seconds, sometimes (not everytime) the radio screen also turns on and says “RAM” then they both quickly shut off. Attached is a picture from a timelapse.

I am having the same EXACT issue that recently started. I didn't realize it was the dashboard at first, as I had been away on vacation and my truck had sat in the driveway for 3+ weeks, so I initially thought the dead battery was from just sitting.

I was unable to jump it as well, so I bought a new battery and installed. 2 days later my battery was dead and I was unable to jump this one as well, as it only registered 6 volts, so I thought for sure I had a bad battery. I went back to where I bought it and they replaced it after testing and I installed the new one - 2 days later, you guessed it, dead battery - this time I was able to jump start - at this point I was saying what are the chances of having this many batteries be 'bad', so I let the truck run for a bit, checked on voltage, etc., eliminating the alternator, etc., and eventually parked the truck back in the driveway, locked it with key-fob and made sure all looked good (i.e. no lights on, inside or out, etc.) ... all looked good, so I thought I was good to go ...

several hours later I was taking the garbage out to the front of the house for pickup next day and I noticed my truck's interior looked 'lit up' ... as I walked over I checked inside via the mirror and sure as sh**t the dashboard was illuminating the "press brake and push start" screen ... I went inside house, got key, started / stopped engine and the light would not go out ... I tried this several times and same result ... ultimately, as it was nighttime, I just removed the Negatve cable so the battery wouldn't draw anything and waited til morning (that would be 9/26/22) ...

9/26 - I attached negative cable back on battery and truck started right up, i let it run for awhile and turned off, all lights out, looked good ... I noted time and checked it every hour (literally) to see if dash would again be lit ... somewhere between hour 4 & 5 the dashboard showed the same "press brake and push start" lit .... I started / stopped engine, same result (message wouldn't go out) so I detached the cable again and tested it the same exact way today 9/27/22 - same thing = approx 4+ hours and the dashboard lights up ...

my dealer is severely backed up and I am scheduled for 10/10/22 service date (trying to push that up) ... if anything happens before that I'll let you know and anything else I find ... but ... as of now, it doesn't seem to be a " known " issue, yet I've seen several posts on this topic ... the only 'fix' I seen is where someone stated that the BCM (body control module) was replaced and that seemed to fix the issue, but I'm not 100% convinced on that ...

HBNNV

Reaction score

I should add, mine is a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 with about 14k miles only on it ... I haven't seen anything on the control screen, just the dash and only the "press brake and push start" lit ...

DeadBattery

Reaction score
I am having the same EXACT issue that recently started. I didn't realize it was the dashboard at first, as I had been away on vacation and my truck had sat in the driveway for 3+ weeks, so I initially thought the dead battery was from just sitting.

I was unable to jump it as well, so I bought a new battery and installed. 2 days later my battery was dead and I was unable to jump this one as well, as it only registered 6 volts, so I thought for sure I had a bad battery. I went back to where I bought it and they replaced it after testing and I installed the new one - 2 days later, you guessed it, dead battery - this time I was able to jump start - at this point I was saying what are the chances of having this many batteries be 'bad', so I let the truck run for a bit, checked on voltage, etc., eliminating the alternator, etc., and eventually parked the truck back in the driveway, locked it with key-fob and made sure all looked good (i.e. no lights on, inside or out, etc.) ... all looked good, so I thought I was good to go ...

several hours later I was taking the garbage out to the front of the house for pickup next day and I noticed my truck's interior looked 'lit up' ... as I walked over I checked inside via the mirror and sure as sh**t the dashboard was illuminating the "press brake and push start" screen ... I went inside house, got key, started / stopped engine and the light would not go out ... I tried this several times and same result ... ultimately, as it was nighttime, I just removed the Negatve cable so the battery wouldn't draw anything and waited til morning (that would be 9/26/22) ...

9/26 - I attached negative cable back on battery and truck started right up, i let it run for awhile and turned off, all lights out, looked good ... I noted time and checked it every hour (literally) to see if dash would again be lit ... somewhere between hour 4 & 5 the dashboard showed the same "press brake and push start" lit .... I started / stopped engine, same result (message wouldn't go out) so I detached the cable again and tested it the same exact way today 9/27/22 - same thing = approx 4+ hours and the dashboard lights up ...

my dealer is severely backed up and I am scheduled for 10/10/22 service date (trying to push that up) ... if anything happens before that I'll let you know and anything else I find ... but ... as of now, it doesn't seem to be a " known " issue, yet I've seen several posts on this topic ... the only 'fix' I seen is where someone stated that the BCM (body control module) was replaced and that seemed to fix the issue, but I'm not 100% convinced on that ...
Sorry to hear you’ve got the same issue. Starting to think it may just be haunted. I’m taking it to the dealership again in 2 days. I’ll let you know if they come up with anything new that may help you or others.

HBNNV

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you’ve got the same issue. Starting to think it may just be haunted. I’m taking it to the dealership again in 2 days. I’ll let you know if they come up with anything new that may help you or
Sorry to hear you’ve got the same issue. Starting to think it may just be haunted. I’m taking it to the dealership again in 2 days. I’ll let you know if they come up with anything new that may help you or others.
Ok, let me know, as I’m still trying to get my service date moved up … thanks … as an aside, I tested it again today and after reconnecting the negative battery cable ( had disconnected overnight) and starting/ stopping the engine, the lights went out, all seemed good and then a little after the 4-4 1/2 hour mark the press brake / push start lit up all by itself again … not sure why it takes 4-ish hours to surface, but that’s been the tendency for 3 days consecutively now …

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Same issue here. Dead battery two days ago.. swapped in a new H8. While the truck was sitting in my shop I noticed the push to start lighting up. Happens about 20 minutes after the truck is sitting. Key fob in a steel box far away. Cycles about 20 times then back to sleep for another 20 minutes. Rinse and repeat. Slowly killing my new battery.

2020 5.7 DT Bighorn non-etourque.
no power steps no air ride.

scanned the modules and these are my current codes..

Attachments

• 7DA334B3-16AE-424A-91E3-7BD479011F7D.jpeg
    7DA334B3-16AE-424A-91E3-7BD479011F7D.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 99
  • A9420AF4-3AE4-4047-B157-3341B68479C6.jpeg
    A9420AF4-3AE4-4047-B157-3341B68479C6.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 2677B3E6-1A3C-4BDD-BE91-255D7F34B0B6.jpeg
    2677B3E6-1A3C-4BDD-BE91-255D7F34B0B6.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 85
  • D1C23864-4677-460D-A158-11B85CA1253F.jpeg
    D1C23864-4677-460D-A158-11B85CA1253F.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 6A481784-CAB6-4076-AD91-F43849CEDAED.jpeg
    6A481784-CAB6-4076-AD91-F43849CEDAED.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 0CA2D392-CD8A-4369-B460-8077EEB425D6.jpeg
    0CA2D392-CD8A-4369-B460-8077EEB425D6.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 7E84862F-0248-4122-9A0E-D9CBF9B837AF.jpeg
    7E84862F-0248-4122-9A0E-D9CBF9B837AF.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 35A3C3BA-560A-47C3-B912-2F6B8944694A.jpeg
    35A3C3BA-560A-47C3-B912-2F6B8944694A.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 95

terrycorbett

Reaction score

Brand new 2022 Ram Classic. Having a similar issue. Shut down the truck, and the dash cluster stays lit once the car is off and locked. Kills the battery in about 4 hours. It's been back at the dealer for over two weeks with no solution.

Attachments

• 20220916_213841.jpg
    20220916_213841.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 56

HBNNV

Reaction score
Anyone have any updates ? I'm still waiting for my 10/10 dealer appointment ...

HBNNV

Reaction score
I should add, mine is a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 with about 14k miles only on it ... I haven't seen anything on the control screen, just the dash and only the "press brake and push start" lit ...
Did they ever find your issue ? My truck is in the shop now.

HBNNV

Reaction score

Did they ever find your issue ? My truck is in the shop now.

RamBLK15

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited E Torque with air suspension, power running boards, a 12-inch screen, etc. The truck has 35K miles on it and had the OEM battery. Started to get a little sluggish in the morning so I knew as colder weather was approaching a new battery was approaching. As luck would have it, my wife, to the dog to the vet, and it died in the parking lot. I stopped at the auto parts store and grabbed a Die Hard Premium H7 AGM. Popped the old one out and put the new one in. Not everything worked right away, but I know it takes time for the system to reset itself. It was showing a check engine light. I figured that would go away after some time. The volt meter while driving home showed 13.9 volts.

Got home and let it sit. I restarted it, and it started to display the battery warning light, and the volt meter was showing 12.1 volts. Charged up the battery. Still showing 12.2 volts. Went back to the auto parts store. They couldn't figure out how to use their tester on the truck. The tester was showing that it could not connect to the truck via the battery terminals. . The truck was also throwing code P1DF3.

Got it home, pulled the negative cable, and let it sit overnight. Tried it again this morning. Voltage is down to 11.7 even when driving. No change.

It's at the dealers and they will try to sneak it in, but possibly two weeks out just to look at it.

So many people with similar problems.

terrycorbett

Reaction score
Brand new 2022 Ram Classic. Having a similar issue. Shut down the truck, and the dash cluster stays lit once the car is off and locked. Kills the battery in about 4 hours. It's been back at the dealer for over two weeks with no solution.
Update, dealer found the shift control module was staying awake on the bus causing the dash lights to stay. Two weeks so far so good. Took they about 14 hours of troubleshooting with FCA tech online with them

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What part is the shifter control module? Would be nice to know if someone wanted to change it themselves.

fredrk123

Reaction score

I got the same dog gonne issue. 3 dead batteries and I can now tell when battery is about to go because my running boards on drivers side will get a little wonky or work one day by coming halfway up and then down. I also get the usb error on my 12 inch screen . I never leave any lights on in my 2019 laramie truck. I have about 33k miles for a 2019 and some days i'll only drive it twice a week as i have other vehicles to drive i wonder if thats an issue. Also i start nnoticing battery issues when it happens with the radio cracking and of course the 12 inch screen rebooting to correct the usb non supported message.

Users who are viewing this thread