5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Off - Press Brake and Push Button To Start

Jackie G

Reaction score
Were your dash lights on constantly or intermittent ? My problem has been isolated to the "press brake / push start" dash indicator coming on intermittently. When it comes on, it stays on, and eventually the battery dies from the draw if I don't happen to catch this issue while it's happening. The only way around this has been to disconnect the negative cable at night so I don't wake up to a dead battery in the morning. The dealership had the truck for 3 full weeks and couldn't replicate the issue (funny, cause I replicated several times a week, for several weeks, waiting for their appointment to get truck to them). Eventually, without replicating exact issue, they said they discovered the Multi-Media Hub staying hot intermittently and drawing down the battery. They replaced the Hub, and gave me a new battery (no-cost battery) and I picked the truck up and had no issues at all for 6 days. On the 7th day, the battery was dead and as I'm writing this, the truck is now back in the shop.
Hi just having the same issues with 23 Ram classic we disconnected the negative for 24hrs and some how our Sirius radio and unconnect is completely gone, but the problem with the push brake + has disappeared, wondering do you have Sirius radio or unconnect ? Maybe this Sirius Guardian is causing the problem as it has a remote start feature, just a thought try deleting Sirius Guardian see if that solves the issue. We are waiting now to see if this issue comes back before reprogramming Sirius back on

mechanic2old

Reaction score
Hi just having the same issues with 23 Ram classic we disconnected the negative for 24hrs and some how our Sirius radio and unconnect is completely gone, but the problem with the push brake + has disappeared, wondering do you have Sirius radio or unconnect ? Maybe this Sirius Guardian is causing the problem as it has a remote start feature, just a thought try deleting Sirius Guardian see if that solves the issue. We are waiting now to see if this issue comes back before reprogramming Sirius back on
Have same issue with 2020 3500. The push brake light and sometimes the radio will come on and then go off, dealer said it is RF hub module. They are on back order till November. I was able to pull fuse #51 for the RF hub module so my battery won’t die.

Reaction score
No, but I’m pretty sure there is no water in my light housings.

***update*** Picked up my son from school, got home and parked the truck…now everything is fine. These trucks are bipolar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One month later, issue has resurfaced. Went outside to turn on Halloween lights and noticed the cycling. Hooked up the tender to avoid dead battery. Not sure I want to spend another $1k for the dealership to have a look then tell me they “fixed it.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn has been having dead battery issues and I’m at my wits end. Initially thought it was just a non-OEM battery issue. Recently, I was checking my security cameras (for other reasons) and noticed my truck screens coming on and off while it was sitting off, all night long. If I don’t drive the truck for 24 hours it has to be jumped. I’ve taken it to the dealership 3 times: 1) replaced the battery, 2) flashed the BCM/PCM flash/update, 3) wasn’t reproducible and was told my keys were too close to the vehicle. Before the third visit I had taken a 5+ hour drive and I wonder whether that may have made the problem better.

The first day home I stashed the key fobs in the other side of the house and… nothing, screens stayed off. One day later it has started back up. I have both key fobs in faraday bags in the back of the house. I have tried uninstalling the UConnect app on my phone. No luck. It is driving me crazy, I’m hoping someone out there has found a solution to this problem. I’ve seen other posts saying it may be related to running boards, but I don’t have them on my vehicle.

The instrument panel message pops up every few minutes and stays in for 30-45 seconds, sometimes (not everytime) the radio screen also turns on and says “RAM” then they both quickly shut off. Attached is a picture from a timelapse.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Mine just started today, push brake to start notification staying on. I was out and bout and noticed my side mirrors weren't heating up, they have the little symbol on them for heating up. So I went into settlng to try and see if I could turn them on. I wound up changing some other setting on, like ease to get out, and mirrors down on reverse, things I didn't even know my truck had. Anyway I am wondering if any of that caused it? Has anyone else had this problem appear after adjusting the settings? So annoying, my truck is 2019 Ram Laramee, 5.7 etorque, electric running boards, pano roof, harmon kardon, etc pretty much loaded for a Laramee. It went to the shop 12 times in the first 2 years, 2019-2020, its actially been good since then. Past 3 years. I guess I'll have to bring the ****er in, sounds like another issue alot of people have with these things. I was just starting to like this truck again. Now, I think its time to get rid of the pos.

edited to add: I just took the ram for a drive to charge the battery since the press brake to start has been on all night. I parked in a parking lot after driving for awhile, and while Idling I went in and changed settings again, because I noticed when I parked the running boards automatically came down when I put it into park? Which it never used to do. It used to lower them when the door is opened. So I switched the setting to stored. ALSO, when I arrived home I noticed that the boards stayed up this time. And it looked like the push brake to start might stay on. So I pushed some buttons, I pushed the off button on the stereo, which caused the actual start button to illuminate, then I cycled that thru from off, to acc, to run, then back to off. It was then that my push brake to start notification went off, now I don't know if it went off because I was sitting in the truck that long? Or
if all those buttons I pushed caused it to go off. Or if changing the settings on the running boards did it? Or none of that did the trick and the truck is just being psychotic! When I opened the door to get out I almost fell because I slid out of the truck seat expecting the boards to be there. And when I closed the door the push brake to start came on again. I stood there for a min and it went back off. So, the light is off right now and isn't currently draing the battery. finger 🤞🏽 crossed.

Last edited:

Grimmey

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue! 2020 Ram 1500 will keep showing press brake to start while the truck is locked and the keys are not near. Battery has died twice in the last couple of weeks. Notice the other night while I was working outside and could see my dash lighting up over and over. The next morning the battery was dead. Any update on how to fix the issue?

Kunseldad

Reaction score
Just picked up my first Ram yesterday. 24 Rebel 1500. 6 hours later I noticed the "Press brake etc ..." was staying on constantly. I got it to go out after a random series of engine on/off's but this morning it will not go out and now it will barely turn over. At 86 miles on the Odo I'll be carrying around my jump pack till I get to the dealer. Not too impressed. The dealer had to be jumping this thing daily. I'll update any findings

Kunseldad

Reaction score
Just picked up my first Ram yesterday. 24 Rebel 1500. 6 hours later I noticed the "Press brake etc ..." was staying on constantly. I got it to go out after a random series of engine on/off's but this morning it will not go out and now it will barely turn over. At 86 miles on the Odo I'll be carrying around my jump pack till I get to the dealer. Not too impressed. The dealer had to be jumping this thing daily. I'll update any findings
Now a few hrs later it’s completely dead and can’t be jumped. Karma for leaving GM.

2020_Ram_Limited

Reaction score
Same issue here. Saw the message and thought it would time out with key fob in the house. Dead battery. Been having trouble with side steps on both sides for a week or 2. 2nd owner. After reading many threads this morning I am seriously wondering if I made a bad investment. I had a 2014 before this with no issues. Pretty sure I have cracked headers as well.

paddywacker

Reaction score
I just picked up a new 2024 Ram Limited a little over two weeks ago (e-torque, air suspension, no running boards). Door stamp shows it's a 11/23 build. Last week I went out and it was dead, took it back to the dealership (they've been great so far) and they replaced the battery. We figured it was just a bad battery with the cold snap. This morning I go out to start it again and it's dead. Jumped it and took it back to the dealership so they can dig in.

I haven't noticed if it's been turning on and showing the "press brake" message. Given all the electrical issues they should hand out portable jump starters with these trucks; I picked one up after the first time and it saved me today.

Pretty ****ty having to deal with this 16 days after buying it.

Edit/Update - Dealership left a message and said it's running perfectly fine ...

Last edited:

2020_Ram_Limited

Reaction score
Better part of a day on the charger then run for 30 minutes charged me back up. Every issue I was having disappeared. I may have overcharged the battery a bit as it was at 13.9 on acc and 14.9 running. All systems worked great and side steps moved in and out well. Over 4 hours of driving with 4 park/starts voltage dropped to 12.9 and 14.0 respectively. More driving tomorrow and will monitor voltages closely. It is the OEM battery is likely weak, will likely replace with an H8 this weekend. It looks as if a weak, low voltage battery puts it into a death spiral when the electronics get confused and does not allow the truck to go to sleep.

Kunseldad

Reaction score
Got my few day old ‘24 back from the dealer. They basically blamed it on me, said I wasn’t waiting long enough for the press brake light to go out. They charged the battery then most likely never looked at it again. Two days since its return, total of 150 miles on the odometer and that press brake light comes on and off endlessly. Resting around 12.1, running around 13.1v.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Greetings, @FirstimeRAM, @theblet, @mechanic2old, @Jackie G, and others

Our team would like to invite any users who are personally experiencing battery draining concerns to reach out to us via private message with your VIN and mileage. We would like to take a deeper look here. Thank you and hope to reconnect with some of you shortly!

Hannah
Ram Cares

Mack11

Reaction score
Got my few day old ‘24 back from the dealer. They basically blamed it on me, said I wasn’t waiting long enough for the press brake light to go out. They charged the battery then most likely never looked at it again. Two days since its return, total of 150 miles on the odometer and that press brake light comes on and off endlessly. Resting around 12.1, running around 13.1v.
I've had my 2021 Laramie 5.7 e-torgue crew cab almost 3 years now and my battery has died overnight several times since. Dealer replaced battery once and radio module once which have not fixed the issue. Finally noticed that the "stop start" dash light randomly stays on after I turn the truck off and eventually kills the battery. The light fails to shut itself down and it does not matter how far away the key fob is. My options are leave it on and the battery dies or start the truck to clear it. Roadside will not tow it in its dead state. They will only jump it each time. Dealer has not been able to get get a code or duplicate this at their service department. Ram will not replace approve anything else at this point. They suspect that something at my home is interfering with the RF signal, (LED lighting, security cameras, WIFI devices). I have turned my devices off around my home and it still happens. It has happened away from home also. Seems to me that there may be an issue with the RF hub? I have been monitoring these forums for close to 3 years now and have not seen that anyone has figured this out. Considering getting rid of it and going with a different make.

clark2649

Reaction score
Greetings, @FirstimeRAM, @theblet, @mechanic2old, @Jackie G, and others

Our team would like to invite any users who are personally experiencing battery draining concerns to reach out to us via private message with your VIN and mileage. We would like to take a deeper look here. Thank you and hope to reconnect with some of you shortly!

Hannah

Ram Cares
Sending information as you stated for this issue. 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. Currently at Hall CDRJ in Virginia beach. There off an on since Jan 2024. VIN: 1C6SRFJT6KN809137

Would appreciate any help
V/R Shawn Clark
757 472 0242

Users who are viewing this thread