5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Off - Press Brake and Push Button To Start

fredrk123

Reaction score
Update, dealer found the shift control module was staying awake on the bus causing the dash lights to stay. Two weeks so far so good. Took they about 14 hours of troubleshooting with FCA tech online with them
i will tell my service center about your post and i hope they know about it already.....

HBNNV

Reaction score
i will tell my service center about your post and i hope they know about it already.....

Update, dealer found the shift control module was staying awake on the bus causing the dash lights to stay. Two weeks so far so good. Took they about 14 hours of troubleshooting with FCA tech online with them
Were your dash lights on constantly or intermittent ? My problem has been isolated to the "press brake / push start" dash indicator coming on intermittently. When it comes on, it stays on, and eventually the battery dies from the draw if I don't happen to catch this issue while it's happening. The only way around this has been to disconnect the negative cable at night so I don't wake up to a dead battery in the morning. The dealership had the truck for 3 full weeks and couldn't replicate the issue (funny, cause I replicated several times a week, for several weeks, waiting for their appointment to get truck to them). Eventually, without replicating exact issue, they said they discovered the Multi-Media Hub staying hot intermittently and drawing down the battery. They replaced the Hub, and gave me a new battery (no-cost battery) and I picked the truck up and had no issues at all for 6 days. On the 7th day, the battery was dead and as I'm writing this, the truck is now back in the shop.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Were your dash lights on constantly or intermittent ? My problem has been isolated to the "press brake / push start" dash indicator coming on intermittently. When it comes on, it stays on, and eventually the battery dies from the draw if I don't happen to catch this issue while it's happening. The only way around this has been to disconnect the negative cable at night so I don't wake up to a dead battery in the morning. The dealership had the truck for 3 full weeks and couldn't replicate the issue (funny, cause I replicated several times a week, for several weeks, waiting for their appointment to get truck to them). Eventually, without replicating exact issue, they said they discovered the Multi-Media Hub staying hot intermittently and drawing down the battery. They replaced the Hub, and gave me a new battery (no-cost battery) and I picked the truck up and had no issues at all for 6 days. On the 7th day, the battery was dead and as I'm writing this, the truck is now back in the shop.
where are you storing your fobs?

HBNNV

Reaction score
where are you storing your fobs?
This is not a fob issue, though that did cross my mind when the issue was initially happening. I discounted it at first as my truck / fob have been kept in the same 'places' since 2019 without issue (basically, the truck is in the driveway and the fob is physically in the home on the other side of the property). To eliminate this from the equation, definitively, prior to bringing it to the dealer the actual first time, as I figured they may bring this up as previous posts on this thread had stated, I gave my wife both fobs to take to work with her (4 miles away, I left doors unlocked for hood release / access to vehicle) and the issue surfaced anyway ... bottom line, I did a lot of research prior to dropping it off to dealership (to help give specifics of issue I was encountering) the very first time (as dealership was back-logged);
- press brake / push start dash indicator illuminates (intermittently), on it's own, and stays lit eventually killing battery
- when I found this conditioning actually happening, I started truck, turned off (both stationary and driving a bit) and light stays on ----- only way to extinguish light, once it lights on it's own, is to disconnect negative battery cable
- further 'playing with it' I discovered when light lit on it's own, if I disconnected battery cable and immediately put cable back on, the light obviously went away with the disconnect, but came back on post reconnect in a little over an hour ... when I disconnect cable overnight as a precaution, the light takes about 24 hours to resurface ...
- most disturbing is if the issue happened and I didn't catch / or know what was happening like in the very beginning, the battery is not only dead from the draw, but when trying to jump or charge the battery, it doesn't work, as you can only charge the battery to 6 volts ... so the draw is doing a serious number on the battery ... the dealership found this out as well when they let it sit for 2 days (weren't spot checking it obviously) and had to replace the battery (no charge to me) ... the battery they replaced was a brand new battery I had put in the truck 4 days prior to dropping the truck off to them initially ...

frustrated .... to say the least ... it's been escalated up the 'food-chain' by both them and myself, but to date, to no avail ...

Last edited:

sardogbvh

Reaction score
This is not a fob issue, though that did cross my mind when the issue was initially happening. I discounted it at first as my truck / fob have been kept in the same 'places' since 2019 without issue (basically, the truck is in the driveway and the fob is physically in the home on the other side of the property). To eliminate this from the equation, definitively, prior to bringing it to the dealer the actual first time, as I figured they may bring this up as previous posts on this thread had stated, I gave my wife both fobs to take to work with her (4 miles away, I left doors unlocked for hood release / access to vehicle) and the issue surfaced anyway ... bottom line, I did a lot of research prior to dropping it off to dealership (to help give specifics of issue I was encountering) the very first time (as dealership was back-logged);
- press brake / push start dash indicator illuminates (intermittently), on it's own, and stays lit eventually killing battery
- when I found this conditioning actually happening, I started truck, turned off (both stationary and driving a bit) and light stays on ----- only way to extinguish light, once it lights on it's own, is to disconnect negative battery cable
- further 'playing with it' I discovered when light lit on it's own, if I disconnected battery cable and immediately put cable back on, the light obviously went away with the disconnect, but came back on post reconnect in a little over an hour ... when I disconnect cable overnight as a precaution, the light takes about 24 hours to resurface ...
- most disturbing is if the issue happened and I didn't catch / or know what was happening like in the very beginning, the battery is not only dead from the draw, but when trying to jump or charge the battery, it doesn't work, as you can only charge the battery to 6 volts ... so the draw is doing a serious number on the battery ... the dealership found this out as well when they let it sit for 2 days (weren't spot checking it obviously) and had to replace the battery (no charge to me) ... the battery they replaced was a brand new battery I had put in the truck 4 days prior to dropping the truck off to them initially ...

frustrated .... to say the least ... it's been escalated up the 'food-chain' by both them and myself, but to date, to no avail ...
Any more info on fixing it? I just found the same problem with mine.....

shannonduck

Reaction score
Anyone have any updates ? I'm still waiting for my 10/10 dealer appointment ...
I am having the same issue. I have 2019 Ram Laramie Longhorn. Truck dead, replaced battery, dead again the next day. I saw at night press break and push start was glowing and won’t turn off

Scion

Reaction score
On mine, I found that it would happen if I didn't close my tailgate firmly. I haven't seen this behavior for at least a few months now, so I'm hoping that was it.

Reaction score
Same issue with mine, 2019 Sport (Canadian model), 80k miles. “Press brake and push button to start” cycles on and off continually. Noticed it a couple of months ago when my OEM battery died suddenly one night. Funny thing though, I’d had the truck almost a year with no issues.

The first time it happened was when I went off-roading. Battery was toast the next day. I chalked it up to needing an AGM battery so I picked up an Optima yellow top. Couple of days later, that battery was dead as well. Now I’m thinking my alternator is bad. I jumped the battery and drove the truck and all seemed well. Had battery and alternator tested at O’reilly and they tested fine. Made an appointment to have it checked out at the dealership and hooked it up to a tender in the meantime. Walked out to check on it one night and noticed the dash cycling on and off and determined that was the draw.

Went on another two day off-roading trip with a friend and figured if it died overnight at least I can get a jump. Slept in the truck at the campsite after a long day of dusty trails and the cycling didn’t happen once when the truck was off. Cool, but weird and unexplainable. Drove home the next day and it was fine, like it had fixed itself. Canceled the appointment.

Hit some off-road trails again a couple of weeks later and I’ll be damned the next day the issue was back. Truck is currently hooked up to life support because if it wasn’t it would surely be dead in the morning. Appointment with the dealership is on 8/31.

I see TONS of posts about this but no solutions, just band-aids. My battery is secure in its compartment, I don’t have any water leaking into my cab behind my rear seats, and the proximity of the fob isn’t the issue as I keep it in the same spot as I have since buying it. Really frustrating because I love this truck, I just want it to work properly. Shouldn’t have to throw it on a tender every night. I’ll be sure to update with whatever I find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rage

Reaction score
Anyone ever find a fix for this My 2021 Ram 1500 dash keeps coming on randomly, the second battery is dead in less than 2 weeks. The dealer has for 2 days just replaced the battery and says they find no issues.

Reaction score
Just dropped the truck off with the dealer. Explained in excruciating detail what the issue is and all I’ve done trying to remedy it. Service manager guessed that if the RF hub is toast it may THINK the key fob is near and wakes the truck up continuously. They want to keep it for the day. Will update as needed.

2fletch

Reaction score
Encountered same issue here. 2023 Longhorn 1500, 4500 miles. Parked it after traveling 100+ miles. Would not start. Battery was fine. Dash stayed on, locked the doors and walked away with key fob and got the 3 honks from the horn (as if the truck was running and warned about the key fob being out of reach). Auto start would lock doors (lock doors, no horn sound or start). Would trigger theft alert and sound horn when open doors from inside. Same issue when using phone app. Goes into dealer this Thursday

Reaction score
Update:

Couple of days ago the tech noted that when he pulled the RF hub, the parasitic draw dropped from 3A to .5A. On the right track, but still too much. The hub looked fine, no signs of water damage, so he kept searching. He asked what were the aftermarket wires that led from my battery to the cab for and I said no idea, I wondered the same…I bought it used and it came like that.

Spoke with the tech this morning. Those two aftermarket wires, each with a 20A fuse inline, led from the +/- battery terminals to the firewall. They went into the cab and ended under the dash. The tech traced them and found that they led nowhere, and the positive wire was wrapped around the radio harness. Not spliced, just wrapped around with electrical tape. He disconnected them and problem fixed. I suspected earlier they may have something to do with it and pulled the fuses from each wire, but it changed nothing. I suppose the direct connection from the battery terminal to the harness was causing electrical interference and giving Uconnect a fit. As for the wires, I’m guessing the previous owner had something hardwired to the battery that he/she wanted to take with them, like a GPS unit seeing as how I have the non nav 8.4. Anyway, the tech said the parasitic draw is down to 129 mA and suspects it will drop to 29 mA once the usb ports power down after a bit. He wants to let it sit for a couple of hours to be sure. I should be able to pick it up today. I’ll check in after a week or so with a thumbs up or thumbs down.

I know this doesn’t help others who are having the same issues because of the uniqueness of the problem I had, but what it does point to is these electronics are stupid sensitive and anything can jack them up.

Reaction score
***update***

All has been fine the past couple of weeks, figured the issue was behind me. Went to Costco tonight, came out later and saw the dash lit up. My shoulders just sank. I wanted to pull a Superman and just impale the truck on some telephone poles. After a week at the dealership and $902.17 in costs, I get two weeks of proper use before it went bad on me. Good old “press brake and push button to start” just cycling on and off. Haven’t done anything in the past couple of weeks other than drive to and from the gym or the grocery store. I give up. Shopping for a new truck this weekend.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That sux. Has anyone checked your headlights or taillights for water?

Reaction score
No, but I’m pretty sure there is no water in my light housings.

***update*** Picked up my son from school, got home and parked the truck…now everything is fine. These trucks are bipolar.

omarimos

Reaction score
I'll be following this thread. Just tonight I noticed that my "press brake and push button" light stayed on for longer than I remember. I turned on truck, and messed with the settings to see if I could find a setting on turning that light off faster (no luck). I turned off the truck, locked it, and headed inside with my keys after I started a timer. Left keys inside, came out, and to my surprise that light was on for over 9.5 minutes. Wondering if it's always done this and never noticed or if this is the beginning of the dead-battery issues you're all describing. I'll report back.

For reference, truck is a 2021 Ram 2500 Laramie diesel, 4x4, no electric running boards, no aftermarket wiring modifications or accessories. Thanks!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
***update***

All has been fine the past couple of weeks, figured the issue was behind me. Went to Costco tonight, came out later and saw the dash lit up. My shoulders just sank. I wanted to pull a Superman and just impale the truck on some telephone poles. After a week at the dealership and $902.17 in costs, I get two weeks of proper use before it went bad on me. Good old “press brake and push button to start” just cycling on and off. Haven’t done anything in the past couple of weeks other than drive to and from the gym or the grocery store. I give up. Shopping for a new truck this weekend.

Yea, I suspect the tech was tired of messing with it. He saw aftermarket wires and said "look! Something I can blame this on! $$$$$$$$ . Next."

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online