5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trickle charging. Has anyone else tried this...?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a lot of modules in that path. All I am saying is from experiencing how easy it is to fry something, that I think it’s a bad idea. Like I said, my opinion is my own and people can do whatever they want.
Not telling anyone how to do things and yes, there are lot of modules feeding off from the battery.
In this instance it is a case of connecting straight to the battery terminals with a charger or connecting to it via 30 amp and dual 80 amp fuses.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not telling anyone how to do things and yes, there are lot of modules feeding off from the battery.
In this instance it is a case of connecting straight to the battery terminals with a charger or connecting to it via 30 amp and dual 80 amp fuses.
Which actually maces the whole thing fuse protested. Something goes wrong with the charger, blown fuse. The shop puts a power supply through the OBD port when removing the battery to maintain memory for the radio/entertainment system and ECU. Also, my Comma.AI draws off the OBD for a short while to do uploads.

Grunt51Royalty

Reaction score
I have a take home work vehicle, so I don't get to drive my truck as often as I'd like to. I leave the dash came running since the truck stays outside. I was noticing that the camera shut off (power saving mode) after only 2 days or so. I used to trickle charge my Charger and that worked out since the battery was in the trunk and I always back in the driveway (better camera view).

I was looking for a way to trickle charge my Ram, but I didn't want to run a cord all the way under the hood. Then I had a thought...the 7-way trailer port. I checked and sure enough, the 12v pin stays active even when the truck is off. So I wired a trickle charger into a 7-way trailer connector. It works really well.

I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this before but maybe someone else will find this helpful!
I see you posted this Feb 5 '22, could you give us an update on if it has still been working flawlessly? Or have you had some issues? Thanks.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use solar chargers on generators when the built in goes out. Works great

NJC1684

Reaction score
Used this on my old diesel and ran down through bumper.

Attachments

• AD020264-8F20-469E-9C19-0AEEECB908DC.jpeg
    AD020264-8F20-469E-9C19-0AEEECB908DC.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 11

Code2medic

Reaction score
I have a take home work vehicle, so I don't get to drive my truck as often as I'd like to. I leave the dash came running since the truck stays outside. I was noticing that the camera shut off (power saving mode) after only 2 days or so. I used to trickle charge my Charger and that worked out since the battery was in the trunk and I always back in the driveway (better camera view).

I was looking for a way to trickle charge my Ram, but I didn't want to run a cord all the way under the hood. Then I had a thought...the 7-way trailer port. I checked and sure enough, the 12v pin stays active even when the truck is off. So I wired a trickle charger into a 7-way trailer connector. It works really well.

I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this before but maybe someone else will find this helpful!
I have one of these on my mustang and vette along with ones for 5 motorcycles work like a champ

Users who are viewing this thread