5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Finally got my truck back yesterday evening. The "fix" for the transmission had been completed two weeks ago. However, during the repair, a small dent was made in the driver's side door and the dealer took responsibility and repaired it. Of course, this is Los Angeles, and the body shop was backed up. They did give me a rather nice Challenger to drive.

So, now, I will pay close attention to the transmission issue and report back in a few days and/or week or two as to whether or not the repair was successful. The service manager and I read the complete report and, basically, a re-wiring of a couple of the relays between the engine, dash and transmission were implemented on the truck. It seems the Stellantis tech and the regional engineer, along with the dealership mechanic and the STAR people all found this to be the culprit.

If you're experiencing the same thing, I would encourage you to mention this. You can reference Los Anglees CDJR in downtown Los Angeles on Figureoa.

Very happy to have the truck back.

redit0

Reaction score
Replying to this thread so I can keep an eye on this. I have had the same problem but not very often, if it becomes a more frequent occurrence (which it sounds like it might) I want to be able to refer back to this. Thanks to everyone who has updated with what they've found!!

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Replying to this thread so I can keep an eye on this. I have had the same problem but not very often, if it becomes a more frequent occurrence (which it sounds like it might) I want to be able to refer back to this. Thanks to everyone who has updated with what they've found!!
Two days in and it's working as designed. Will continue to drive and update here. Just curious if you did any modifications to your truck? I only added a cold air intake. I've heard that the Pedal Commander or similar products can cause this problem. Doyou have one of the throttle response enhancers installed?

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
This is the repair that the STAR team and the dealership performed on my truck: "Verified customer concern vehicle transmission is shifting into neutral when coming to a stop. No DTCS present at this time, with assistance from Stallantis field technician installed permanent overlay into vehicle - partially removed dash in order to route overlay through cabin and along side engine harness, eliminating all inline connectors for circuits D440 and D441, hardwire from ESM to TCM is now installed into vehicle. Reassembled and performed extensive test drive and vehicle is operating as designed."

Hopefully, this will help.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
I appreciate your help. Hopefully they can find a fix to our problem. Really dont want to give up on my truck. Thanks again John.
Just posted this final report from the dealer on my truck. Maybe this can help you.....
This is the repair that the STAR team and the dealership performed on my truck: "Verified customer concern vehicle transmission is shifting into neutral when coming to a stop. No DTCS present at this time, with assistance from Stallantis field technician installed permanent overlay into vehicle - partially removed dash in order to route overlay through cabin and along side engine harness, eliminating all inline connectors for circuits D440 and D441, hardwire from ESM to TCM is now installed into vehicle. Reassembled and performed extensive test drive and vehicle is operating as designed."

Kicknsnare

Reaction score
Do any of you have the bulletin they're working on publishing? Any paperwork from the repair? FCA now has to fix this for me outside of warranty. Mike never returned any of my 5 calls. I did notice this case ID 11441324 from the NHTSA (https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/RAM/1500/PU%252FCC/2WD). Then I created a report myself, 11443945. Maybe the NHTSA recall investigation can cause a reaction?

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Not aware of any bulletins. Just relaying the info from my paperwork.

Truck has been performing fine since I picked it up last Friday.

TX1500

Reaction score
That is great to hear! I have been following this thread as I am experiencing the same issue on my 2019 limited v8 HEMI with 27800 miles built Oct 2018. Truck began slipping into neutral after having to replace the battery In early November. Dealership had it for 2 weeks at beginning of December and never reproduced or found code. After not doing it since Monday morning this week, it just occurred on way home. Major safety issue.

Before replacing the battery I tried to start the truck and received messages on the screen stating “Service Shifter” and “Service Electronic Stability Control”. Even though the vehicle was in park it then went to “Vehicle Not in Park” message on dash. I tried to turn the shift knob and it just spun freely like a knob on a video game. Replaced battery with yellow top Optima and have not seen those messages again or issue with shift knob spinning. Instead I have been randomly experiencing the transmission going to neutral when rolling to a stop followed by the same “Shift to P then Desired Gear” message.

Purchased BlueDriver ODB2 tool in hopes it might catch a code but no such luck other than B16B7-15 related to Center Stop Lamp Wiring Harness which appears All the time. Any additional info you can provide on your case would be appreciated as I go battle with the service department to take action.

Jazekay

Reaction score
Had this happen once on my 19 rebel 5.7 hemi with 3.92. Vehicle JUST out of warranty. Pray to god it doesn’t happen more frequently!

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone has had this issue while having a throttle response device (like Pedal Commander or similar) attached??? My friend just had this happen after he put on a Pedal Commander. My truck did it within the first month and I had done no modifications to it.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone has had this issue while having a throttle response device (like Pedal Commander or similar) attached??? My friend just had this happen after he put on a Pedal Commander. My truck did it within the first month and I had done no modifications to it.
I was curious about this as well since I was thinking of getting one but if that can cause it I definitely don't want to risk it.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
I was curious about this as well since I was thinking of getting one but if that can cause it I definitely don't want to risk it.
I don't have any proof that it does cause the problem, but I haven't heard from anyone yet as to whether or not they experienced this issue with the Pedal Commander or similar device.

Mon7mod

Reaction score
Just posted this final report from the dealer on my truck. Maybe this can help you.....
Hi
I had the same issue Is there any kind of star online Code or any kind of reference number for this case because I don’t live in usa , i record the process from beginning until it showed shift to park to drive our dealership kept my truck 55 days , in the end they didn’t give me any explanation for what happened with me .
thanks

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Hi
I had the same issue Is there any kind of star online Code or any kind of reference number for this case because I don’t live in usa , i record the process from beginning until it showed shift to park to drive our dealership kept my truck 55 days , in the end they didn’t give me any explanation for what happened with me .
thanks
Best to take it to a dealer and have them contact Stellantis. A STAR case was opened on my truck. There were over 10 engineers and mechanics working on the issue.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Well, it did it again! Two times the transmission slipped tonight - within a ten-minute period. I'm pissed! Have just contacted Mike McDonald at Stellantis and the Service Manager at RAM in LA. Buy back!!

Users who are viewing this thread