5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

CDP110

Reaction score
Definitely a safety hazard. There will undoubtedly be an accident that will be caused by this issue. It's almost happened to me and a couple of others on here that I know of. Will be a massive liability for them, especially with all of these communications, emails and evidence trail of attempted fixes. @RamCares should really be out ahead of this. Doesn't appear that they are.
If u look up on google shift to park then desired gear. This happens with Ram, Chrysler 300, and Durango. I can’t believe they don’t know what it is. This forum is a document in my eyes. Ram and Chrysler and dodge know about this and they are under Stellantis umbrella.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
If u look up on google shift to park then desired gear. This happens with Ram, Chrysler 300, and Durango. I can’t believe they don’t know what it is. This forum is a document in my eyes. Ram and Chrysler and dodge know about this and they are under Stellantis umbrella.
Agreed. This is forum is definitely a document of record. Keep tagging @RamCares and the other entities in these post.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happens with Jeeps of all types too. That means it's a software problem as they aren't even the same transmission in a lot of cases (though still ZF gearboxes). ZF just sells the gearboxes, it's up to the OEM to write the software to control them. You don't hear of this issue in other vehicles with the same ZF transmissions....

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
I will be receiving a call from the buyback team within the next week. I'm also engaging the lemon law attorney with whom I've spoken. Clearly, Stellantis is struggling with this. @RamCares

Reactions: c3k

CDP110

Reaction score
I will be receiving a call from the buyback team within the next week. I'm also engaging the lemon law attorney with whom I've spoken. Clearly, Stellantis is struggling with this. @RamCares
I can’t believe they can’t figure this out. So mad right now. I’m on the fence with selling mine but then everything is so freakin expensive that I’m gonna lose out on money when I buy new vehicle

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
It is ridiculous, especially since I've uncovered that Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge have all had the same issue with different transmissions. Class Action lawsuit perhaps? @RamCares

R Luzb

Reaction score
This same issue has happened to me one time and has not happened since. It could have been a very dangerous situation when it occurred because I was entering onto what is usually a very busy highway from a stop sign, but fortunately there was no traffic at the time. Since this has never happened before and I was not expecting it, it took me several seconds to react and realize what had happened. As I accelerated away from the stop sign the engine revved up extremely because the transmission kicked out of drive, and I was in the middle of the intersection not moving. I remember the D was flashing on the rotary knob, and after realizing that I was not in drive I shifted back to neutral then drive again and the transmission went back into gear and I was able to proceed. This potentially could have caused a very serious accident had there been any traffic coming.
FCA definitely needs to investigate this issue before someone is seriously injured !!!

Nelo718

Reaction score
This same issue has happened to me one time and has not happened since. It could have been a very dangerous situation when it occurred because I was entering onto what is usually a very busy highway from a stop sign, but fortunately there was no traffic at the time. Since this has never happened before and I was not expecting it, it took me several seconds to react and realize what had happened. As I accelerated away from the stop sign the engine revved up extremely because the transmission kicked out of drive, and I was in the middle of the intersection not moving. I remember the D was flashing on the rotary knob, and after realizing that I was not in drive I shifted back to neutral then drive again and the transmission went back into gear and I was able to proceed. This potentially could have caused a very serious accident had there been any traffic coming.
FCA definitely needs to investigate this issue before someone is seriously injured !

Nelo718

Reaction score
Any updates?
My Ram is at the delearship now. I suspect they’ll come back with the usual can’t duplicate BS.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
The response time is surprisingly fast. The buyback rep has contacted me twice today and I've sent nearly all the documents they require. Just waiting on a buyout letter that the dealership has to procure from the bank. Curious to see what they offer. Although, the emails state that they are pursuing this buyback using the CA Lemon Law statute as the structure. So, hopefully, I won't need to actually sue them. We shall see.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The response time is surprisingly fast. The buyback rep has contacted me twice today and I've sent nearly all the documents they require. Just waiting on a buyout letter that the dealership has to procure from the bank. Curious to see what they offer. Although, the emails state that they are pursuing this buyback using the CA Lemon Law statute as the structure. So, hopefully, I won't need to actually sue them. We shall see.

That's great news. Hopefully the offer will be enough to get you into a new vehicle. If you are going to purchase something else, what are you looking at?

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
That's great news. Hopefully the offer will be enough to get you into a new vehicle. If you are going to purchase something else, what are you looking at?
Still want a 1500. But, I am also looking at a Trail Boss with the 6.2L engine. I've had a Tundra, an F-150 FX4 and a GMC Sierra All Terrain. Even though Chevy is GM, I like the look of it. But, if I can find another RAM like mine, I'll consider that. Long shot would be a Bronco with the extreme off road capability.

Nelo718

Reaction score
OCCDR service rep stated that a software update was made and that it should correct the issue.
Have any of you guys had the software update?
They are also charging me even though the power train warranty should still be active with 53k miles and refused to cover a rental or provide a loaner.. On my way to pick it up @RamCares

Nelo718

Reaction score
Picked up my truck today. Mentioned the Star case and asked service adv if he can look it up. He said not at this time but it’s the techs job to look up. They Supposedly made a software update that corrects a lot of issue based off a bulletin. But said before they continue addressing/replacing parts that the new software have to be running to rule out. Let’s see if it worked.@ramcares

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 26

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Picked up my truck today. Mentioned the Star case and asked service adv if he can look it up. He said not at this time but it’s the techs job to look up. They Supposedly made a software update that corrects a lot of issue based off a bulletin. But said before they continue addressing/replacing parts that the new software have to be running to rule out. Let’s see if it worked.@ramcares
Hopefully, this works for you!

Jack.

Reaction score
This might just be on my end but what octane are you guys running ? The couple time that it had happens to me I was running 87. I switch back to 91 and i can no longer duplicate it.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This might just be on my end but what octane are you guys running ? The couple time that it had happens to me I was running 87. I switch back to 91 and i can no longer duplicate it.
Coincidence. I haven't had it happen in about 8 months and I run nothing but UNL88 or 89 octane fuels.

Users who are viewing this thread