5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tranny slips when cold

Bob.

Reaction score
You guys ever notice this? I'm sure it's normal as my wife says her jeep does this too. Running under 2 minutes when the 5.7 engine is cold. Maybe 40F outside? I stop at my first stop sign. If I gas it the right way (not too much or too little) the motor revs up then it acts like the tranny is slipping then it drops in gear and your off. I noticed it like 3 times in 3 months. That's the only weirdness I discovered so far with the Ram.
I told my wife, she said her Cherokee does it too. That's why I warm it up she says.... She warms it up cause she wants a toasty cabin lets be honest. LOL

STLPNY

Reaction score
You guys ever notice this? I'm sure it's normal as my wife says her jeep does this too. Running under 2 minutes when the 5.7 engine is cold. Maybe 40F outside? I stop at my first stop sign. If I gas it the right way (not too much or too little) the motor revs up then it acts like the tranny is slipping then it drops in gear and your off. I noticed it like 3 times in 3 months. That's the only weirdness I discovered so far with the Ram.
I told my wife, she said her Cherokee does it too. That's why I warm it up she says.... She warms it up cause she wants a toasty cabin lets be honest. LOL
Mine does that too but even when its warm usually on the first stop and go an ok after that. What i did notice is that the gear position indicator says 2 then drops to 1 and it takes off. Of course it is intermittent and did not do it for the dealership

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Yeah same. When I first leave the driveway and it's cold it feels like **** for the first 100ft or so. Otherwise the shifts are barely noticeable.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok bob, I am worried, is the tyranny ok since s/he slipped? By driveway are you saying 'pavement in front of my house ',by house are you admitting anything?

Bob.

Reaction score
I'm sure it's fine. Just a weird symptom sometimes at my first stop sign. It does it enough to notice maybe twice a month or something. Don't worry. I was curious if others noticed this as well.
My truck is the best truck I ever owned. A whole lot of power and very quiet and smooth going down the road. I really enjoy driving it. My trips are normally under 5 miles one way to work. On the weekends, I purposely drive it on the highway to warm it up. Around town 100% of the time is really bad for these trucks. Condensation builds up in the engine. Water has no place inside the engine ...

Snekpete

Reaction score
This can be fixed by turning off (unchecking) Hill Start Assist in Safety and Driver Assistance settings. On my truck it made starts from a stop MUCH smoother.

Nelo718

Reaction score
Not fine. There’s a thread on here that you guys should follow. My truck has the similar issue. Only difference is that it seems to slip into neutral and the display reads shift to P then desired gear. Others have the same issu and dealerships don’t know how to fix it

Nelo718

Reaction score
Look up transmission falling out of drive on down shifting, blinking displaying shift to P. One of the guys is on the phone process of using the buyback program (lemon law). @RamCares

Bob.

Reaction score
This can be fixed by turning off (unchecking) Hill Start Assist in Safety and Driver Assistance settings. On my truck it made starts from a stop MUCH smoother.
I will look for the setting.thanks

Bob.

Reaction score
Look up transmission falling out of drive on down shifting, blinking displaying shift to P. One of the guys is on the phone process of using the buyback program (lemon law). @RamCares
Yes I was following the thread. Mine is not broken like that. Just a slight surge when cold, sometimes.

Bob.

Reaction score
I found the setting. Your on to it. It hasn't done it since I unchecked the box. Thanks! Computers are so annoying!

Jack.

Reaction score
Hmm.. interesting take, i will try this as well. I did experience the transmission slip twice. Maybe you just found the cause of everything

TheBobs

Reaction score
This fix (turn off Hill Assist) - is it for all powertrains or only the Hemi? I have the EcoDiesel and the trans has started slipping slightly when cold since winter set in. Once I drive a 1/2 mile it goes away. Even if the truck has been driven during the day but sits for a while the shifts will be "soft" until I drive it for a little bit then all is fine again.

I had a 2014 Gen 4 Laramie Longhorn and put 207,000 miles on it and the trans never gave me a hint of trouble - and I towed our 7000 pound travel trailer all over the eastern U.S. with it. There's only 36,000 on my Gen 5 and I'm very surprised the tranny is acting weird when cold. Camping season is just around the corner and I don't relish the idea of the trans kicking the bucket when towing is some rural part of the country.

Bob

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have same problem in my 22 Hemi.
It seemingly has nothing to do with the temperature though.

If it's freezing outside it has the same problem even if it was 90 degrees in the summer.

If I wait a solid 2-3 minutes before moving it's fine. If I give it 60 seconds and pull out of my driveway and onto the road I need to slam the gas almost all the way down, or else it jerks forward and back and doesn't want to move.

If it's 10 degrees outside by the time fluids are in the 40 degrees ( first 0-40mph) it's fine.
If I start my truck in summer the fluids are already hotter then 40 degrees before pulling out and it's the same thing.

I was told by my tuner that "These transmissions shift sloppy cold" and it didn't surprise him when I explained what it was. I almost wonder if it's more of a lubrication problem since it's more of how long I wait vs how hot the fluid is.
If I let the truck 100% cool down during the day it works fine, even if it sits for 8 hours, but overnight same problem in the morning (or whenever I drive it)

Bob.

Reaction score
My 21 Hemi still has that slipping tranny condition when cold. It's 90% better with that switch on and I never flipped it back, but still sometimes if I do a slight rolling stop with the engine ice cold it could mis-shift. Motor rpm comes up as I pull away from the stop sign then the tranny pops into first, Not perfect under cold conditions but better. I never tried punching it to go, just an old man acceleration type rolling stop take off, off the line. Computers.... sigh

Bob.

Reaction score
This fix (turn off Hill Assist) - is it for all powertrains or only the Hemi? I have the EcoDiesel and the trans has started slipping slightly when cold since winter set in. Once I drive a 1/2 mile it goes away. Even if the truck has been driven during the day but sits for a while the shifts will be "soft" until I drive it for a little bit then all is fine again.
I don't know if the condition will improve on the ecodiesel. Perhaps if you have a lot of miles maybe your tranny screen is dirty or low on fluid? I don't know really, just thinking on how non computer cars run.

TheBobs

Reaction score
I don't know if the condition will improve on the ecodiesel. Perhaps if you have a lot of miles maybe your tranny screen is dirty or low on fluid? I don't know really, just thinking on how non computer cars run.

I'll try the Hill Start Assist idea and see if that helps - though the ABS system is what holds the truck in place until enough throttle is applied to move the truck. Don't understand how removing Hill Start Assist would affect the transmission but as you say - with computers in these trucks who knows.

The truck only has 36,000 miles on it so the fluid *should* be fine though there could be some manufacturing debris floating around I suppose. Since others are having the same issue I'm going to keep an eye on these threads for a permanent fix - or maybe @RamCares will pick up on it and relay to engineering...? ;-)

Bob

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll try the Hill Start Assist idea and see if that helps - though the ABS system is what holds the truck in place until enough throttle is applied to move the truck. Don't understand how removing Hill Start Assist would affect the transmission but as you say - with computers in these trucks who knows.

The truck only has 36,000 miles on it so the fluid *should* be fine though there could be some manufacturing debris floating around I suppose. Since others are having the same issue I'm going to keep an eye on these threads for a permanent fix - or maybe @RamCares will pick up on it and relay to engineering...? ;-)

Bob
Hey Bob,

If you'd like some assistance with this, we'd love to see where we can help! We're available via direct messaging!

Callie
Ram Cares

brentg315

Reaction score

Bob
Check this link out, does this sound the same as what you are going through? Mine was behaving similar but the engine light would come on and throw a P0733 code and goes into limp mode. Second time to dealer now and they are replacing the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread