5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer sway with air ride

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since November 2014 I've had a '15, '16, and '19 Longhorn, all equipped with the 5.7, 4-corner air, and 3:92s. I tow a 24' ATC car hauler carrying a '67 Coronet R/T Hemi car, so the whole travelling road show towed weight is 7216#, give or take a few pounds depending on how much fuel is in the car's tank. The tongue weight is 1350#.
With each new truck I've seen the 'built in' anti-sway program as well as the fine-tuning of the air ride firmware improve significantly.
For the '15, and part way through the '16 I had a Reese 10,000# Pro Series, no anti-sway add-on as I don't want to be drilling into the aluminum tongue of the trailer. The Ram's anti-sway worked very well, but given I live 55 miles east of the base of the Rocky Mountains and have been hitting more car shows/show 'n shines on the west coast, I decided to change hitches.
I went with a Blue Ox and frankly, the reduction in the already minimal sway I've previously experienced through the Rockies and across the Canadian prairies is very noticeable.
My '21 Longhorn 10th Anniversary is due to land at my dealer's in mid-February, so I'm quite interested to see what improvements Mother MOPAR RAM will have now.
I think that so often we see people who don't have a lot of towing experience getting fed a line of BS from whomever they're dealing with, solely chasing the almighty buck. Typically these so-called solutions these characters come up with are only looking at one portion or another of the towing situation. Experience from towing drag race car trailers all over North America for the last 50 years has shown me that you have to consider each of the sections to be just part of the whole, in other words ensure that you're buying the right pieces and that they all work together, as a system so to speak. Don't ever hesitate to take a friend along, one who has towing setup experience.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Did you get your new ‘21 Longhorn yet? How does it compare to the ‘19 Longhorn?

MLB12

Reaction score
Did you get your new ‘21 Longhorn yet? How does it compare to the ‘19 Longhorn?
I actually picked up the '21 this past Thursday morning. It's only got 173 Km(~107 miles), but it feels way tighter than my '19 did when it was new. When I say tighter, I don't mean not broken in yet tighter, but just quite a bit more solid. This is my 4th 1500 w/4 corner air, and it seems that with each successive year the air ride gets fine tuned better.

The 10th Anniversary is quite plush really, for lack of a better term, and I'm glad I paid the extra cost for it. One of the best parts is the fact that the multifunction tailgate comes along with the package. But now I need to figure out how to modify my BedRug to work with the split gate sections. That and the corner bracket conundrum when trying to fit my BAK Revolver X-4. I've been reading some of the responses to my post earlier in the week about installing the X-4 with the MFT corner brackets, and I don't think that there's going to be any issue.
I'm anxious for Spring to get here so that I can get the '67 loaded into my car hauler to go for a 'long drive in the country' to see how it handles the towing aspect.

Thanks for checking in-I'll do some updates as the time goes by.

MLittle

Reaction score
D

Severe sway pulling toyhauler

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

D
Dslowell
· Registered
Joined 12 days ago
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 4 days ago
I have a 2019 1500 with air ride that starts swaying severely above 60mph.

I have taken it to the dealer multiple times and they have checked everything and say there is no problem with the truck, it is my loading causing issues.

I have tried loading all configurations, dropping, raising ball, aft, forward. Even at 8500, lightly loaded it still does it.

I have weight distribution and sway bars, and have towed this trailer with my 2014 1500 for over 20k miles now, at much higher weights. It still currently tows this trailer now without issues.

Am I the only one having a towing issue?

Any help would be appreciated, Dodge has not been helpful.

Thanks

D

Severe sway pulling toyhauler

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

D
Dslowell
· Registered
Joined 12 days ago
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 4 days ago
I have a 2019 1500 with air ride that starts swaying severely above 60mph.

I have taken it to the dealer multiple times and they have checked everything and say there is no problem with the truck, it is my loading causing issues.

I have tried loading all configurations, dropping, raising ball, aft, forward. Even at 8500, lightly loaded it still does it.

I have weight distribution and sway bars, and have towed this trailer with my 2014 1500 for over 20k miles now, at much higher weights. It still currently tows this trailer now without issues.

Am I the only one having a towing issue?

Any help would be appreciated, Dodge has not been helpful.

Thanks
Did you ever find a resolution, I'm currently having the same problem with a 4500lb camper with Anderson WDH. I also pull a boat of similar weight and length and have no issues with the boat.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you ever find a resolution, I'm currently having the same problem with a 4500lb camper with Anderson WDH. I also pull a boat of similar weight and length and have no issues with the boat.

1) Do you have 20” wheels with SL load rated tires or the 22” wheels with XL load rated tires?

1A) what tire pressure?

2) are you setting up the WDH with the suspension in “tire jack mode” ?

3) what is the load rating on the trailer tires? What psi are they set to?

My 31 foot, 7,000 lb GVWR camper pulls fantastic with the air suspension. So it’s all in your setup.

366D65A3-3CE1-4BC0-B4B1-E1E2BD15FA20.jpeg

MLittle

Reaction score
I have 22" XL with 32 PSI (came from factory that way), I set the air to "normal" ride height and then placed in "jack mode." I followed Anderson's Youtube video instructions and it still sways over 60 MPH. The truck sits with the rear higher than the front when the TT is attached.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 22" XL with 32 PSI (came from factory that way), I set the air to "normal" ride height and then placed in "jack mode." I followed Anderson's Youtube video instructions and it still sways over 60 MPH. The truck sits with the rear higher than the front when the TT is attached.

Try 48 psi in your truck tires and drop to Aero.

What load range & psi are the trailer tires?

davefuze

Reaction score
Some things I noticed when setting up the weight distribution on air suspension vs coils.

I couldn’t use my previous settings on the WD hitch at all. Needed to start from scratch on the WD setup. I would recommend you do the same, from scratch.

The air suspension caused the truck to ride 2+ inches higher at the rear axle (probably more at the ball) with WD setup and engaged. Therefore I needed to drop the ball a lot, to the lowest setting on the shank I have. The trailer is still slightly nose high if I’m at normal ride height, so I now tow in aero mode which gets the trailer 1/4” nose low, rather than buying a longer drop shank.

If I had to guess I’d say maybe your trailer is nose high and that might be the cause of your problem. Again I would start with the WD setup from scratch.

Might help if you could post some pictures of both trucks hooked up to the trailer with measurements and describe the changes you did to your hitch setup.
Don't believe AERO Mode works in TOW/HAUL Mode, now does it?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think that's correct. I previously tested and confirmed that Tow/Haul disables Aero mode, Eco mode (MDS), and stop/start in addition to changing shift points.

That video is a 4th Gen.

I can confirm on the 5th Gen that Tow/Haul mode does not disengage Aero Mode and raise to Normal height.

I only tow my TT in Aero Mode and used Tow/Haul without the suspension raising itself

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That video is a 4th Gen.

I can confirm on the 5th Gen that Tow/Haul mode does not disengage Aero Mode and raise to Normal height.

I only tow my TT in Aero Mode and used Tow/Haul without the suspension raising itself
What video? I’m talking about my own 5th gen!

I can confirm with certainty that my 2019 5th-gen will raise from Aero to Normal immediately upon engaging Tow/Haul.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What video? I’m talking about my own 5th gen!

I can confirm with certainty that my 2019 5th-gen will raise from Aero to Normal immediately upon engaging Tow/Haul.

That link took me to a video that was clearly a 4th Gen interior.

I without a doubt tow my TT using Aero Mode as my WDH is setup for that height, along with Tow/Haul Mode. I’m actually moving the camper to storage tomorrow so I can take video of it then

How much tongue weight did you have? I’m about 800 lbs

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That link took me to a video that was clearly a 4th Gen interior.

I without a doubt tow my TT using Aero Mode as my WDH is setup for that height, along with Tow/Haul Mode. I’m actually moving the camper to storage tomorrow so I can take video of it then

How much tongue weight did you have? I’m about 800 lbs
Actually, the link takes you to my response to the video.

In my case, I tested this unloaded and using the automatic Normal-to-Aero mode at highway speed. When running along in Aero this way, toggling Tow/Haul bumps the truck up to Normal.

Maybe you’re manually setting your truck to run in Aero mode? I wouldn’t be surprised if this overrides the behavior I experienced.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, the link takes you to my response to the video.

In my case, I tested this unloaded and using the automatic Normal-to-Aero mode at highway speed. When running along in Aero this way, toggling Tow/Haul bumps the truck up to Normal.

Maybe you’re manually setting your truck to run in Aero mode? I wouldn’t be surprised if this overrides the behavior I experienced.

I see the response now, I went straight to the video assuming that.

Ahh that could be it, I do not utilize the Automatic Aero Height feature. I manually adjust my height as needed.

db252

Reaction score
Yeah mine stays in aero mode also with tow haul on when I tow my trailer. Shut the truck off and then start again later it stays in that mode regardless of speed.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you set the suspension to aero it will stay in aero, even if tow/haul is switched on.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking.

I tested mine again this morning (set to automatically go into Aero mode at highway speed). I got up to cruising speed, the truck dropped from Normal to Aero, and then I turned on Tow/Haul. The truck immediately raised to Normal. I shut off Tow/Haul. The truck dropped back to Aero.

Pretty cool to understand the difference between "automatic" mode and "forced" Aero mode.

MLittle

Reaction score
ok Thanks everyone. It seems maybe I just have something else going on with my truck.

I could post some pics if I could ever get my truck back from the dealer.

I did try dropping ball to lowest, and up one as well from where I had it on the 14. Neither made a huge change. I also put on scales and checked my tongue weight, as well as front and rear weights (platform scales). I tried jacking up bars to load the front. All these things offer improvement but there is a weird pushing at the rear that seems to go into the steering and give a weird feeling of lack of control. It even activates the traction control. The service department has towed with different trucks on the lot. All will sway, especially with crappy Alaska roads and a little wind, but this is more like the truck is swimming.

I will say the air ride does suck up those frost heaves nicely, but the rear end pushing is un-nerving.

I originally thought this was an Air suspension problem, but if no one else is having issues, it must be my truck, my trailer, or these wallowy Duelers.

Thanks for advice

D
I came to this post looking for an answer for my 2020 Limited with air suspension. I'm experiencing the exact same issue towing a travel trailer that only weighs 4800 lbs. I have an Anderson sway bar and my trailer sways horribly. In reality I shouldn't even need a sway bar at this weight but I obviously have a problem. Let me know if you find an answer to the issue.

bucolic

Reaction score
I came to this post looking for an answer for my 2020 Limited with air suspension. I'm experiencing the exact same issue towing a travel trailer that only weighs 4800 lbs. I have an Anderson sway bar and my trailer sways horribly. In reality I shouldn't even need a sway bar at this weight but I obviously have a problem. Let me know if you find an answer to the issue.

I just towed my 26' trailer in my sig that weighs just about what yours does with my 2021 limited with air suspension and it was flawless. I towed this last year with my 2019 Laramie without air but traded to the limited for the 33-gallon tank and 3.92 gears mainly but will say the air suspension on this is pretty amazing towing. On flat stretches, I forget the trailer is even back there. I am quite impressed with the difference the air suspension made. Smooth and stable.

So if you are getting sway that is the complete opposite of my experience so I would first check the basics. I am not saying these are your issues but start with the basics and eliminate them as causes:

1. Make sure the rear of the trailer is not overloaded. This is a dangerous condition and can cause excessive swaying that cannot be recovered from. The tongue weight should be about 15% of the total trailer weight.

2. I am not familiar with the Anderson hitch and use an Equilizer brand hitch and sway control which is a different system but if those are not set up correctly you will have excessive sway. In setting mine up at one point I had too much weight on the bars and this resulted in the back of the truck being too high. Tires spun easily on acceleration and the trailer was all over the place. I only drove it about 5 miles like that and turned around and watched the setup videos again and corrected my mistake. Once dialed in it is rock solid. I would review your manufactures setup instructions.

Do not depend on the dealer setting it up correctly if they installed it. They did not install mine correctly and at the campground this weekend my neighbor was asking how I got my bars off without pounding on them as he would raise his trailer all the way up and still not be able to disengage the bars without hammering them off the ledges. The dealer set his up. He got them on with the tool supplied but couldn't get them off. When he hooked up to leave I could see his were set up all wrong as the bars were about 4" higher by the trailer than the hitch when according to the manufacturer they should be level when properly setup.

3. Incorrect trailer tire pressure can cause sway also.

Also, I towed mine a couple of times without sway control and it is absolutely needed. It's not the weight it's the sail the camper creates. A 5000 lb trailer with a car on it probably wouldn't need sway control but these campers do as just a strong wind can blow them around creating a handful when towing.

Users who are viewing this thread