5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer connected and rear parking off issue

dschweers

Reaction score
Truck knows I have s trailer connected because it changed my blindspot information. If I put in reverse to back up, it thinks I'm going to run into an object and puts on the brakes. The object is the trailer.......too much technology and it doesn't talk to each other.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Mine freaks out with just a hitch drawbar installed, even worse with the trailer. Must **** off rear parking sensors anytime i throw a hitch in or am trailering. It stays off through keys cycles until you turn it back on.

Quint

Reaction score
I turned that auto-braking junk off shortly after getting my 2021. It freaked out backing up in my driveway with NOTHING within three car lengths. It also did it when I did an illegal Y-turn in the middle of a country highway. When I went to back up, it his the brakes on me and locked everything up. Of course, some car came blazing over the hill about 1/2 mile away going 65mph. I finally got it into drive and gunned it through the grassy shoulder.

At least when I tow now, which is often, I only have to think about turning off the rear parking sensors so that they don't beep when backing up a trailer. I agree - too much technology but at least we can turn off what we don't like.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck knows I have s trailer connected because it changed my blindspot information. If I put in reverse to back up, it thinks I'm going to run into an object and puts on the brakes. The object is the trailer.......too much technology and it doesn't talk to each other.
Does the trailer have a 4 or 7 pin connector? My truck only disables rear park sensors and brake assist automatically when I hook up a 7 pin connector

dschweers

Reaction score
Does the trailer have a 4 or 7 pin connector? My truck only disables rear park sensors and brake assist automatically when I hook up a 7 pin connector
It would be a 4 pin connector.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It would be a 4 pin connector.
That is why it is not going off automatically.

Only the 7pin(because of the trailer brake signal) does the truck know it has a trailer.

Blind spot may detect it...but the truck still is not recognizing it as a trailer.

If you use the 4pin...or even the 7 pin without brakes...you will have to turn them off your self.

LiveWire

Reaction score
I turned that auto-braking junk off shortly after getting my 2021. It freaked out backing up in my driveway with NOTHING within three car lengths. It also did it when I did an illegal Y-turn in the middle of a country highway. When I went to back up, it his the brakes on me and locked everything up. Of course, some car came blazing over the hill about 1/2 mile away going 65mph. I finally got it into drive and gunned it through the grassy shoulder.

At least when I tow now, which is often, I only have to think about turning off the rear parking sensors so that they don't beep when backing up a trailer. I agree - too much technology but at least we can turn off what we don't like.
I just pulled with my trailer on my 2022 for the first time yesterday. I was freaking out, it kept slamming the breaks backing up. Then realized shutting off the parking sensors fixed it. Seems like since it detects there is a trailer hooked up and shows it on the dash it would automatically account for it.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just pulled with my trailer on my 2022 for the first time yesterday. I was freaking out, it kept slamming the breaks backing up. Then realized shutting off the parking sensors fixed it. Seems like since it detects there is a trailer hooked up and shows it on the dash it would automatically account for it.
Yeah I’m not a fan of that reverse auto brake system, seemed over sensitive so I deactivated it in the settings. If the trailer had a 7 pin connector it should’ve automatically turned off the rear sensors and sadly it doesn’t appear ram has added that feature to the 4 pin connector.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the trailer had a 7 pin connector it should’ve automatically turned off the rear sensors and sadly it doesn’t appear ram has added that feature to the 4 pin connector.
My camper has a 7 pin and it doesn't automatically do anything.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Huh that’s odd, when I hook up a 7 pin the truck shuts off the rear park sensors automatically.
Wonder if it was an update for the newer years, for safety or some such nonsense. Dude who did my orientation at the dealer made sure to point it out a couple times that I would have to turn the rear sensors odd when I hooked up a trailer.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder if it was an update for the newer years, for safety or some such nonsense. Dude who did my orientation at the dealer made sure to point it out a couple times that I would have to turn the rear sensors odd when I hooked up a trailer.
Yeah that makes sense, maybe they did it to reduce the number of computers onboard from the shortages, I wish they went the other direction and activated tow/haul when you hook up a 7 pin.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense, maybe they did it to reduce the number of computers onboard from the shortages, I wish they went the other direction and activated tow/haul when you hook up a 7 pin.
Or at least leave tow/haul on when you stop for gas and shut the truck off. And maintain the trailer configuration.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or at least leave tow/haul on when you stop for gas and shut the truck off. And maintain the trailer configuration.

Yeah that parts annoying to, but at last it’s a physical button and not in some hidden page

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It should automatically turn off rear park sensors, if using 7 pin with a trailer brakes.

It will not with the 4pin. It needs the return pulse from the brakes.

So if you used the 7 pin with trailer brakes...it should shut off...if not your trailer brake wiring may be an issue.

My 2015 Tradesman does this...a newer 1500 absolutely should.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It should automatically turn off rear park sensors, if using 7 pin with a trailer brakes.

It will not with the 4pin. It needs the return pulse from the brakes.

So if you used the 7 pin with trailer brakes...it should shut off...if not your trailer brake wiring may be an issue.

My 2015 Tradesman does this...a newer 1500 absolutely should.
So this prompted me to go looking at the manual, and sure enough it does say:

"The Rear ParkSense system will automatically disable when the system detects that a trailer with trailer brakes has been connected to the Integrated Trailer Brake Module"

So now the question I have is whether there is something wrong with my truck, or if it's something that was left off during the build. Maybe there's a setting somewhere in UConnect that I need to enable, but I'm not seeing anything.

My camper uses the 7 pin connector and has brakes, that the brake controller is recognizing and that I've used manually from the dash controls, so I know that signal is making it to the truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So this prompted me to go looking at the manual, and sure enough it does say:

"The Rear ParkSense system will automatically disable when the system detects that a trailer with trailer brakes has been connected to the Integrated Trailer Brake Module"

So now the question I have is whether there is something wrong with my truck, or if it's something that was left off during the build. Maybe there's a setting somewhere in UConnect that I need to enable, but I'm not seeing anything.

My camper uses the 7 pin connector and has brakes, that the brake controller is recognizing and that I've used manually from the dash controls, so I know that signal is making it to the truck.
I do not have the answer to that. If your truck is applying the trailer brakes and is logging trailer miles. Then the parksense should turn off.

I do not have uconnect but there is no setting on my truck to turn it on or off.

Goos luck

Users who are viewing this thread