5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

towing TT with 2wd truck

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I were you I would be looking at trailers with a GVWR of 7500 or less. Or a trailer that you will not load past 7500 lbs. This way you can have a 750-900 lb tongue weight. This will keep you in the required 10-15% of trailer GVWR.

Now remember that 750-900 tongue weight is without a WDH. So if you are at 750 tongue weight then add WDH (let’s says 100lbs) now you are at 850 lbs. the max tongue weight you can have is 900 lbs based off your 650 lbs of passenger and gear.

Load capacity - 1550
Passengers and gear - 650 (based off your assessment)
Max available Tongue weight - 900 (this can change if your above number increases or decreases)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like @LoNeStAr said, you have to look at the numbers based on how you camp. You will be surprised how quick kids toys and your wife's pillows add up.

I look at GVWR. This way you know the max the trailer will weigh.

With a 1500 you to concentrate on tongue weight. And remember...when loaded for camp...that number is gonna be between 12 to 14 % of gross.
The number they give is dry...usually meaning no propane or batteries as well.

You will be able to go a bit over payload...staying under axle ratings...

You almost need to load your family...put some luggage and coolers in the truck...and go to a CAT scale to find your base weight...you might be surprised how much capacity is taken, just by loading the family and food

jthorn75

Reaction score
Like @LoNeStAr said, you have to look at the numbers based on how you camp. You will be surprised how quick kids toys and your wife's pillows add up.

I look at GVWR. This way you know the max the trailer will weigh.

With a 1500 you to concentrate on tongue weight. And remember...when loaded for camp...that number is gonna be between 12 to 14 % of gross.
The number they give is dry...usually meaning no propane or batteries as well.

You will be able to go a bit over payload...staying under axle ratings...

You almost need to load your family...put some luggage and coolers in the truck...and go to a CAT scale to find your base weight...you might be surprised how much capacity is taken, just by loading the family and food
couldnt you take the food and put it in the trailer, would that take it out of the payload area and put it into the weight of the trailer? or am i not understanding you correctly?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
couldnt you take the food and put it in the trailer, would that take it out of the payload area and put it into the weight of the trailer? or am i not understanding you correctly?

you can add it to the trailer. It will just count towards the trailers payload

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. You want to load the trailer with the majority of your stuff. But...it still affects tongue weight which still affects payload which still affects the limiting factor of a 1500.

Lots of people here towing long heavy trailers. And plenty say it goes like a dream.

But all it takes is one bad weather day...or one dufus on the highway to make you wish you stayed bellow the threshold.

As stated somewhere here and in all the threads I get involved in...here is a real good thought.

Stay in a parameter where your truck is no less than 75% of your trailers weight and length.

So a 1500 truck weighs about 5400 pounds and is about 20 foot long. So best case scenario...a 5400 lb trailer at 20 foot. And a max trailer of 7200 and 26 foot

And then a 2500 weighs about 7100lbs and this is why they are more stable to tow with...and can then tow the longer trailer as well.

Just some thoughts.

If you want to enjoy towing and have an ease of site locating...go 26 foot and about 6500lbs.

If you feel you need the largest trailer you can white knuckle to the campground...look at some of these 9k 34 foot monsters everyone seems to enjoy towing and shoving into a spot.

Too each their own...i just giving common sense approach to a safe and fun trip.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
So again, just to clarify, does the layout of the TT make a significant difference? Just noticing some under 6k lbs TT with an over 700 lb hitch load, and they all have the master bed in the front near the hitch.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With a 1500...you would help the situation with a rear storage set up.

But ultimately I do not think it matters much really.

Where you pack the stuff will. Try to get as much stuff right over the axles.

I like the rear bedroom for the reason to get you further away from the road when set up.

Most newer trailers seem to prefer the bedroom at the front though.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
Overall weight and balance are the main reasons we've landed on the Apex. A separate bunkhouse, decent layout (we like the added kitchen storage and opposing dinette and couch), and good materials and quality. It's a little longer than what I'd like @ ~34'.

• UVW Hitch Weight:672 lb.
  • GVWR:7600 lb.
  • UVW 5975 lb.
  • CCC 1625 lb.
  • Exterior Length:34' 3"
I outlined the factors in my math in another thread (below) but as everyone has said you need to figure out what's going to work for your particular setup by assessing your needs against the options. You're going to have to put in some time looking at the specs on a lot of trailers. I've probably window shopped at least 20 different bunkhouse models at this point and will be checking out a few in person as soon as our local dealers have them in stock.

Like many of you, we are gearing up for camping adventures with a travel trailer as well. This thread has been very helpful, thank you all for contributing!

I've been doing research and put together a simple spreadsheet based on my specific Ram's numbers to see what our options are. I'll be adding some additional assumptions around gear weight (hoses, clothes, supplies, pots/pans, ~15G water, etc.) to help button up my research, but this is what I'm working with.

I think I've spent months looking (virtually) at every single BH option out there... and there are definitely some that I prefer more than what I have listed below, but we're homing in on trailers that a) fall within safe numbers and b) modifiable rear BH floor plan, if necessary, to suit our needs. The Apex is currently top of the list, but we're hoping to see information on the Jay Feather before an impulse buy... :D

Truck:Ram | 1500 | Big Horn | CC | 4x4 | 144.5"WB | 3.0L
Tire:275/65 R18 116T
Tire load rating:2,806
Fully Loaded:2 adults | 2 children | 1 dog
Travel Trailer:TBD
Truck WeightsFactoryScales (Fully loaded)Available Capacity
GAWR Front3,9003,440460
GAWR Rear4,1002,6801,420
GVWR7,2006,1201,080
GCVWR (Pay+Tow)17,134
Max Payload (Door Jamb)1,534
Max Towing (MyRam Website)9,934
Trailer WeightsSolaire 292QBSKApex 300BHSJay Feather 30QB
Hitch Weight845672TBD
UVW5,8935,975TBD
GVWR7,8457,600TBD
Hitch112112112

Last edited:

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I like the rear bedroom for the reason to get you further away from the road when set up.

Most newer trailers seem to prefer the bedroom at the front though.

This. I was so excited when I saw a floorplan on a travel trailer site that had this layout (just had the pic with no description). I spent hours tracking it down and then saw the stats...
I like the layout enough that I spent a few minutes pondering a larger truck... :LOL:

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
You guys going camping or buying a new house:p

I'm staring to wonder myself :LOL::ROFLMAO:

But in all seriousness, we're looking more towards destination living and exploration - set up shop in a region for a short while and go explore. We debated a modern class C (international-based diesel) with a toad but aren't quite there, so a decent amenitied trailer with a capable tow vehicle w/good fuel mileage is where we landed.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm staring to wonder myself :LOL::ROFLMAO:

But in all seriousness, we're looking more towards destination living and exploration - set up shop in a region for a short while and go explore. We debated a modern class C (international-based diesel) with a toad but aren't quite there, so a decent amenitied trailer with a capable tow vehicle w/good fuel mileage is where we landed.
I am currently in somewhat the same situation. We are currently looking for a trailer but our plan is to turn this into a bit more of an extended thing so what to make sure we make the right choice. We know we won’t check off every box but you should be able to check most ;)

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I am currently in somewhat the same situation. We are currently looking for a trailer but our plan is to turn this into a bit more of an extended thing so what to make sure we make the right choice. We know we won’t check off every box but you should be able to check most ;)
Right on. As soon as our local dealers get the Apex in stock, we're on box checked closer to making it happen :)

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
Right on. As soon as our local dealers get the Apex in stock, we're on box checked closer to making it happen :)
Well, 'local' dealer was back ordered until late November at the earliest, which was good because it gave us a bit more time to think through the necessities and we ended up deciding on the smaller floor plan. Currently working on procuring a Freedom Express Ultra Lite 257BHS. We still plan to do destination-style expeditions and I think that'll be ok with the smaller foot print for now, but we'll be working a bit harder on getting our long-term plans moved up to mid-term plans ;)

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, 'local' dealer was back ordered until late November at the earliest, which was good because it gave us a bit more time to think through the necessities and we ended up deciding on the smaller floor plan. Currently working on procuring a Freedom Express Ultra Lite 257BHS. We still plan to do destination-style expeditions and I think that'll be ok with the smaller foot print for now, but we'll be working a bit harder on getting our long-term plans moved up to mid-term plans ;)
So what ultimately pushed you to the freedom express?

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
So what ultimately pushed you to the freedom express?
Once we settled on the floorplan/size/weight, it came down to materials, quality, amenities. For us, the Freedom Express was slightly better in the build/design area, including: slide design, drawer space/layout in the kitchen, design of the dinette, integration of the A/V between spaces, spread-axel design, interior height, AZDEL construction, and modern look/feel. I think it would be 'perfect' if it had the rear access door w/fold up lower bunk, as that was a point of contention for a bit, but I think we can live without it for now. If the outside kitchen design hadn't been updated from the 2020 layout, that plus the rear door might have landed us on another model.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I believe the term for this is "Glamping" right? Glamour + Camping = Glamping
Haha, absolutely! These days, our trusty packs and tent just won't cut it for anything much beyond the yard with 2 little ones in tow. We plan to do some 'real' camping once we're at an ideal destination (trailer location) to do so. :D

Users who are viewing this thread