5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

towing TT with 2wd truck

jthorn75

Reaction score
dont know much on the subject but i bought a 2wd larmie with 3.21 gears last year. i want to RV with the family* i do not have the TT yet* but dont want to buy a new truck which would really make this an expensive plan. I was thinking of adding the LSD and 3.92 gears to up the capicity. my big question is if towing with a 2wd with an RV is a good plan. I would probably lean towards more developed sites so i dont get stuck. would this be a good idea to go head and use the truck or would it be best to wait and get a 4x4 before getting a TT

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don’t have to have a 4x4 to tow a TT. Where planning on towing through mud and snow?

jthorn75

Reaction score
You don’t have to have a 4x4 to tow a TT. Where planning on towing through mud and snow?
not really, i live in texas so i didnt think i would run into rough areas, but i would hate to even get stuck when i was trying to get into the spot i am trying to drop the rig, saying if i had to go off the asphalt to do so

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Towed a travel trailer 13000 miles with my previous 2wd truck with an open differential. Never got stuck. All different kinds of campsites. A month of camping in Texas too. Sand, gravel, dirt, grass. Uphill, downhill. Wet, dry and even some snow. Never got stuck.

The tongue weight of the trailer really improves the rear wheel traction.

On the rear gear ratio, I’d recommend sticking with the 3.21. If you’re traveling with a family you will run out of payload well before you reach your max towing number of ~8000 pounds. That 8000lb trailer and a good weight distributing hitch will easily reduce your available payload by 1000lbs. See the yellow/black sticker on the drivers door jamb and let us know what your max payload is.

jthorn75

Reaction score
Towed a travel trailer 13000 miles with my previous 2wd truck with an open differential. Never got stuck. All different kinds of campsites. A month of camping in Texas too. Sand, gravel, dirt, grass. Uphill, downhill. Wet, dry and even some snow. Never got stuck.

The tongue weight of the trailer really improves the rear wheel traction.

On the rear gear ratio, I’d recommend sticking with the 3.21. If you’re traveling with a family you will run out of payload well before you reach your max towing number of ~8000 pounds. That 8000lb trailer and a good weight distributing hitch will easily reduce your available payload by 1000lbs. See the yellow/black sticker on the drivers door jamb and let us know what your max payload is.
the max payload is 1594

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the max payload is 1594
That seems about average for a Laramie. Remember payload doesn’t just include tongue weight of the trailer but also anything you put in the truck to include passengers and gear.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@jthorn75 do not waste any money upgrading your truck. You have a tow capable RAM.

FOLLOW THIS FORMULA AND ONLY LOOK AT TRAILERS IN THIS RANGE.

GVWR minus Payload equals base weight

GCWR MINUS base weight equals max cargo/passenger/trailer.

Your GVWR is 6900
Your GCWR is 13900
Your payload is 1594
Your base weight is 5306
Your cargo/passenger/trailer is 8594

So...now is where you need to make some calculations.
8594 is the max everything you add to your truck can weigh. So RAM gives an allowance of 470 pounds when they figure max trailer weight at a 10% tongue weight in the charts.

I will assume some numbers. Family of 4...575 pounds...some cargo...250 pounds.

8594 minus 575 minus 250 is 7769

7769 is trailer and tongue. So your magic number is 6900lbs

Since you said you never did this...you want to stay under that number. If you had some experience, you could make the number 7500...but that would not be a fun drive

Now with this number 6900....this is Camper GVWR...DO NOT LET THE SALESMAN sell you a 6900 inside weight trailer...you will be over your rating. You have to focus on GVWR.

And you want to stay under 28 feet...24 to 26 will be the sweet spot.

Make sure you explain 6900 and 28 feet to your wife and salesman.

Cause as soon as the salesman shows her the 32 foot 9000lb camper...you got to get a new truck

jthorn75

Reaction score
@jthorn75 do not waste any money upgrading your truck. You have a tow capable RAM.

FOLLOW THIS FORMULA AND ONLY LOOK AT TRAILERS IN THIS RANGE.

GVWR minus Payload equals base weight

GCWR MINUS base weight equals max cargo/passenger/trailer.

Your GVWR is 6900
Your GCWR is 13900
Your payload is 1594
Your base weight is 5306
Your cargo/passenger/trailer is 8594

So...now is where you need to make some calculations.
8594 is the max everything you add to your truck can weigh. So RAM gives an allowance of 470 pounds when they figure max trailer weight at a 10% tongue weight in the charts.

I will assume some numbers. Family of 4...575 pounds...some cargo...250 pounds.

8594 minus 575 minus 250 is 7769

7769 is trailer and tongue. So your magic number is 6900lbs

Since you said you never did this...you want to stay under that number. If you had some experience, you could make the number 7500...but that would not be a fun drive

Now with this number 6900....this is Camper GVWR...DO NOT LET THE SALESMAN sell you a 6900 inside weight trailer...you will be over your rating. You have to focus on GVWR.

And you want to stay under 28 feet...24 to 26 will be the sweet spot.

Make sure you explain 6900 and 28 feet to your wife and salesman.

Cause as soon as the salesman shows her the 32 foot 9000lb camper...you got to get a new truck
hey thanks for taking the time to explain all of this to me, i have tried to get into it but it is a tall order. with that being said if i went to a 3.92 gear ratio would that give me a chance to go a little heavier? i would just like to create the most head room possible. also kind of upgrades are best to make the truck be able to tow safer, are most guys just doing bags for the rear?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Theoretically...3.92 allows you 3100lbs more GCWR 3.21 is 13900 and 3.92 is 17000.

Me personally, it isn't worth the tradeoffs and money spent. That money could be used for camping.

I also am a firm believer to buy a trailer for the truck. Once you feel the need to get a bigger trailer you will ultimately need a bigger truck.

You can add airbags and all that stuff....but your truck is still only meant to perform a certain task. Again, buying the proper trailer allows more money for camping.

Someone will be along to explain all the help products you can put on...but I spend my money on getting to the outdoors and camping...so I do not know much about the towing mods.

Also...depending on were you camp...a camper in the 24 to 26 foot range makes for more private camp spots.

Heck...i can not even bring myself to upgrade our camper. We have had it so long and it still works.

We went camping...so it is raining
20200829_103707.jpg
I have way more truck than trailer. I do not stress out over where I pack the pillows and I haul all the wood and food I could ever use in a week.

I can tow with my tanks full and not have to stress if I can get stopped coming down a hill.

I can haul the kayaks and the bikes and I can cram all 6 people in the truck. No stress towing is much more fun.

I can also handle inclement weather and can march right up the steepest hill.

Camping is to get rid if the stress...not add to it.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey thanks for taking the time to explain all of this to me, i have tried to get into it but it is a tall order. with that being said if i went to a 3.92 gear ratio would that give me a chance to go a little heavier? i would just like to create the most head room possible. also kind of upgrades are best to make the truck be able to tow safer, are most guys just doing bags for the rear?
The 3.92 gears let you tow more, but they don't increase your payload. You're going to be limited by payload far before you reach your towing limit. Putting bags in the rear doesn't increase the payload, it actually decreases it because you're adding more weight to the truck. So if your payload is 1594, and the bags weigh 50 pounds, your payload now becomes 1544.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Payload capacity is the killer for a half ton truck. As stated by devildodge buy the trailer that fits your truck.

Last edited:

jthorn75

Reaction score
Theoretically...3.92 allows you 3100lbs more GCWR 3.21 is 13900 and 3.92 is 17000.

Me personally, it isn't worth the tradeoffs and money spent. That money could be used for camping.

I also am a firm believer to buy a trailer for the truck. Once you feel the need to get a bigger trailer you will ultimately need a bigger truck.

You can add airbags and all that stuff....but your truck is still only meant to perform a certain task. Again, buying the proper trailer allows more money for camping.

Someone will be along to explain all the help products you can put on...but I spend my money on getting to the outdoors and camping...so I do not know much about the towing mods.

Also...depending on were you camp...a camper in the 24 to 26 foot range makes for more private camp spots.

Heck...i can not even bring myself to upgrade our camper. We have had it so long and it still works.

We went camping...so it is raining
View attachment 66896
I have way more truck than trailer. I do not stress out over where I pack the pillows and I haul all the wood and food I could ever use in a week.

I can tow with my tanks full and not have to stress if I can get stopped coming down a hill.

I can haul the kayaks and the bikes and I can cram all 6 people in the truck. No stress towing is much more fun.

I can also handle inclement weather and can march right up the steepest hill.

Camping is to get rid if the stress...not add to it.
I was also looking at putting a 4 inch lift with 35s on the truck, that was my mine reason for re gearing. I have found some nice trailers in the range you suggested, if I added the lift wheels and tires and gearing That it would end up evening out ( the additional weight added would cancel out the towing capacity gained)

jthorn75

Reaction score
The 3.92 gears let you tow more, but they don't increase your payload. You're going to be limited by payload far before you reach your towing limit. Putting bags in the rear doesn't increase the payload, it actually decreases it because you're adding more weight to the truck. So if your payload is 1594, and the bags weigh 50 pounds, your payload now becomes 1544.
Would adding a lift and bigger wheels and tires take away from the payload due to the extra weight? I am not sure if this is a dumb question lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. The lift and larger tires will take away from your payload and towing capacity.

A 4inch lift really affects the towing dynamic.

You will not like 3.21 gears with 35 inch tires...you probably won't like them with 3.92 either

jthorn75

Reaction score
Yes. The lift and larger tires will take away from your payload and towing capacity.

A 4inch lift really affects the towing dynamic.

You will not like 3.21 gears with 35 inch tires...you probably won't like them with 3.92 either
lol sounds like i need to choose one or the other

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would adding a lift and bigger wheels and tires take away from the payload due to the extra weight? I am not sure if this is a dumb question lol
Basically anything you put in the truck after you take delivery of it reduces your payload. Your payload is ANYTHING that puts weight into the truck above and beyond a full tank of gas and fluids (oils, trans fluid, washer fluid, etc). This can include tools, subwoofers, lift, tires, peripherals, car seats, even trash. Repeat, anything that adds weight.

jthorn75

Reaction score
Basically anything you put in the truck after you take delivery of it reduces your payload. Your payload is ANYTHING that puts weight into the truck above and beyond a full tank of gas and fluids (oils, trans fluid, washer fluid, etc). This can include tools, subwoofers, lift, tires, peripherals, car seats, even trash. Repeat, anything that adds weight.
makes sense, so really sounds like lifting it would really kill the chance to pull an RV

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It doesnt kill the chance. If you are new to towing...it will make for a less enjoyable tow.

Is the area you live in hilly or flat? Highway or back roads?

Your geography has alot more to do with it than capacity sometimes.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, I think you'd be fine with getting either Sumo or Timbren progressive springs (they just replace your bump stops and prevent too much sagging), maybe a small front level if that's the look you're going for, and getting a TT that's going to be under 7k fully loaded like @devildodge said. You'd be surprised you can get some really nice trailers that will still stay below that 7k loaded weight.

jthorn75

Reaction score
i live in texas, i would say its pretty flat for the most part, most highway driving as well to get to the locations, it definatly wont be going to mountain areas. . I I will be buying a hensley hitch for sure to help with sway to keep it safe.

Users who are viewing this thread