5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

towing TT with 2wd truck

jthorn75

Reaction score
Honestly, I think you'd be fine with getting either Sumo or Timbren progressive springs (they just replace your bump stops and prevent too much sagging), maybe a small front level if that's the look you're going for, and getting a TT that's going to be under 7k fully loaded like @devildodge said. You'd be surprised you can get some really nice trailers that will still stay below that 7k loaded weight.
i have found some that look really good, if i am looking for 7k fully loaded would that usually but around 5500 dry? i think theres some 27ft ones that would work, i needed a bunkhouse model for sure to give some space for the kids.

jthorn75

Reaction score
i have been looking at the keystone 260BH TT or even the 275BH or 280BH model for the slide, but also adds weight

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i Have been looking at sumo’s not just for when pulling a TT that I plan on purchasing but also for when I am carrying heavier loads in the bed.

As for TT’ I have also been looking at the Keystone Bullets just not the bunkhouse because my kids are older. Good luck in your search (y)

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
You'll find numerous threads on this (or similar) topic and they're all helpful. Eventually, they'll all lead you to the same outcome of you needing to do the math for your particular truck, travel trailer, and family needs.

As of yesterday, we're homing in on an Apex 300BHS (https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-ultra-lite/300BHS). We've done our homework (math) and this is where we've landed for our particular needs. YMMV and I recommend you read up on what others have been asking/posting and work through the math and needs for yours.

It will take a little effort to get through the research but you'll ultimately be much more happy in knowing you have a safe setup and/or don't end up in a bind with the wrong truck & trailer combination.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without cargo capacity I wouldnt know for sure but I am going to go based off of assumptions and say yes.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
May I ask what factor assumptions would eliminate this as a possibility? 5 passengers (2 adults/3 children) totaling no more than 450 lbs, and maybe 200 lbs of luggage either in the TT or the bed of the truck.

Attachments

• 15987531314823780146927405876880.jpg
    15987531314823780146927405876880.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 8

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you take a pic of the other sticker? It gives you load capacity

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
So, I have watched a lot of YouTube videos tonight and read many threads on here, and I just can't figure out what dry weight I should be aiming for. I have to have the BH for the 3 kids and I would like a slide out for the space. Outdoor kitchen is nice, but not a requirement.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you pack the trailer to it’s max GVWR of 7700 lbs that would give you a tongue weight of 770 @ 10% of 7700. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of trailer GVWR.

I will assume you have a class IV hitch which will support a max tongue weight of 1000 lbs. there for let’s just say you load the tongue to 770 lbs. that would leave you 784 lbs for passengers and gear. Based on your 650 lb assessment above you would be ok but very close to max capacity.

Now remember this does not calculate any weight for a WDH.

Last edited:

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
And this trailer falls into the ultra light category? I have seen some at 6k lbs, but not the space I would like to have. I guess the search continues. Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone talks about GVWR or max weight of the trailer when loaded. You can find a trailer that has a dry weight of 6500 lbs and GVWR of 8000 lbs but if you only load ito 7000 lbs and run with tanks empty then load trailer with 10% on the tongue then you should be fine even with a WDH

jthorn75

Reaction score
so to make sure, i am looking at adding some new wheels, tires and 3.5 in lift... will all of these numbers effect my payload capcity or just harder to drive based of the change of gravity?

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
What this boils down to is numbers. You need to know the numbers that work for your specific truck. I hope all this helps
I am looking at more brands and models. My question, is it more important to find a TT with less hitch weight for the payload part of things, or the shipping wight or dry weight number? I found this one, but the hitch weight is high.

So, should I be looking for a rear bedroom layout, or rear BH layout?

Users who are viewing this thread