5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

towing issues

massram21

Reaction score
i have a 2021 ram quad cab with 6.4 bed and with 5.7 etourqe and 392 axle ,. i have 1500 miles on it ,.I towed a outback 230 RS with 550 hitch wioeght and 7500 gvwr and i had to hold wheel with 2 hands ,felt like truck would just shift over 2 or 3 inches on any road surface on highway at 60 mph ,would not dare go faster. The trailer did not seem to be swaying but truck would just shift . My 2004 silverado rated for 8800 lbs did not do this,this truck is rated for 11561 lbs. what would be recommended
to make this truck tow safely ,not happy

massram21

Reaction score
I have adjusted Reese weight distribution hitch and have sway bar ,only helped a little

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I'm not much of a tow master by any stretch, but did you actually check the tongue weight? If it's too nose heavy it could raise your front end up, making steering a B. Thats my only thought...

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

massram21

Reaction score
I'm not much of a tow master by any stretch, but did you actually check the tongue weight? If it's too nose heavy it could raise your front end up, making steering a B. Thats my only thought...

750 lbs loaded

massram21

Reaction score
is it stock truck or lifted / leveled / etc?
stock ,only 1500 miles ,went to dealer and they say no one has had these issues, wanted to know if air bag s worked and what stlye they recommended but they said wd hitch is all i should need, which is not good enough thats why i asked them ,no help there

massram21

Reaction score
yes i weighed it with scale that is made for that ,trailer is 550 dry
i am going to try filling rear water tank up next time i go out to see if that helps but this truck should not have any problems with this size camper

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Stock tires I assume? Sounds like you have the air suspension, what pressure do you run them at? That might be a dumb question, I dont know if they're adjustable or not...

massram21

Reaction score

Stock tires I assume? Sounds like you have the air suspension, what pressure do you run them at? That might be a dumb question, I dont know if they're adjustable or not...

i have coil springs , want to know if air bags in springs or the ones on side of springs like air lift 5000 work, i will also try inflating truck tires up to max to see if that helps,

massram21

Reaction score
i have coil springs , want to know if air bags in springs or the ones on side of springs like air lift 5000 work, i will also try inflating truck tires up to max to see if that helps,
I have also changed the trailer king load range d tires to goodyear endurance load range e on trailer ,dont know if that might be a factor

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may be of no help, but I'll toss it out there. I put 18" Falken WildPeaks on my Grand Cherokee Summit (replacing the 20" stock wheels and tires.)

I've noticed that same shifting that you describe when hitting bumps or potholes. Feel like someone quickly lifted the back of the Jeep and pushed it over to the side. Even happened when towing a 6x12 cargo trailer I'd converted into a small camper.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These trucks with the XL rated tires on them will squirm, especially when towing in windy conditions or other large vehicles are passing you.
I had a Husky Centerline and never had an issue other than the truck just squirming on the tires.

You did all the measurements according to how the WDH should be set up? How much weight does it transfer off the rear axle of the truck?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 16 foot double-axle Riesser trailer and a compact tractor (with front loader and flail mower) for a total weight of just under 6900 pounds with my Quad Cab and factory tires. I've not experienced what the OP is experiencing.

Besides truck tire pressure, I wonder what the trailer tire pressure was?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530404 miles.

massram21

Reaction score
I tow a 16 foot double-axle Riesser trailer and a compact tractor (with front loader and flail mower) for a total weight of just under 6900 pounds with my Quad Cab and factory tires. I've not experienced what the OP is experiencing.

Besides truck tire pressure, I wonder what the trailer tire pressure was?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530404 miles.
80 psi new goodyear endurance tires

massram21

Reaction score
These trucks with the XL rated tires on them will squirm, especially when towing in windy conditions or other large vehicles are passing you.
I had a Husky Centerline and never had an issue other than the truck just squirming on the tires.

You did all the measurements according to how the WDH should be set up? How much weight does it transfer off the rear axle of the truck?
don't know that, rear dropped 3/4 inch and front stayed same after hooking up

bucolic

Reaction score
i am going to try filling rear water tank up next time i go out to see if that helps but this truck should not have any problems with this size camper
Too much weight in the rear will lessen the tongue weight causing more sway issues. Something seems off on your hitch setup. What model Reese hitch do you have? Is the sway control one of those add ons or piston types or is it friction bars?

My camper with just a weight-distribution hitch chain style towed just as you described. The truck felt like it was shifting side to side and the wind pushed it terribly. White knuckle and not fun at all. I inquired about the add-on sway controls and everyone with experience said they were junk. Had to unhook in the rain and to back up. I bought an Equilizer brand hitch with 4 point sway control and you forget the camper is back there on flat stretches. A bit noisy going at slow speeds but other than that pretty amazing. Solid and pulls like a dream straight and true. I pulled it 8000 miles in a month last year from Upstate NY to Monterey CA and back with no issues other than the 26-gallon tank making you stop for gas multiple times a day.

Setup was crucial on the Equalizer hitch and small changes made big differences. Just a couple of washers to change the ball angle was too much of a change let alone lowering the brackets or ball a notch. I added more tension on the bars by raising the L brackets one hole and the rear tires just spun. Ended up removing or adding one washer to dial it in and was hard to believe that a small adjustment made a big difference.

Let me know the exact model hitch you have. Just weird it didn't have issues on your previous truck but this one could require a whole different setup.

Hitch I got:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
don't know that, rear dropped 3/4 inch and front stayed same after hooking up
That seems like decent weight transfer. What was the change in heights without the weight distribution hooked up?

Did you have LT tires on the Silverado?

massram21

Reaction score
Too much weight in the rear will lessen the tongue weight causing more sway issues. Something seems off on your hitch setup. What model Reese hitch do you have? Is the sway control one of those add ons or piston types or is it friction bars?

My camper with just a weight-distribution hitch chain style towed just as you described. The truck felt like it was shifting side to side and the wind pushed it terribly. White knuckle and not fun at all. I inquired about the add-on sway controls and everyone with experience said they were junk. Had to unhook in the rain and to back up. I bought an Equilizer brand hitch with 4 point sway control and you forget the camper is back there on flat stretches. A bit noisy going at slow speeds but other than that pretty amazing. Solid and pulls like a dream straight and true. I pulled it 8000 miles in a month last year from Upstate NY to Monterey CA and back with no issues other than the 26-gallon tank making you stop for gas multiple times a day.

Setup was crucial on the Equalizer hitch and small changes made big differences. Just a couple of washers to change the ball angle was too much of a change let alone lowering the brackets or ball a notch. I added more tension on the bars by raising the L brackets one hole and the rear tires just spun. Ended up removing or adding one washer to dial it in and was hard to believe that a small adjustment made a big difference.

Let me know the exact model hitch you have. Just weird it didn't have issues on your previous truck but this one could require a whole different setup.

Hitch I got:
reese hitch with friction sway bar , I have tried adjusting aangle of ball for more pressure on bars and i raised ball up . I also on Sunday towed the camper i owned for 16 years before buying new Ram and 2014 outback and it had the same side shift problem , i was able to tow the Springdale rated 7700 lbs loaded at 70 with one hand easily with 2004 Silverado ,ram has much more towing power than 5.3 chevy but it feels a bit unsafe to drive , dont like sudden shifts in the lane.

Users who are viewing this thread