5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

towing issues

massram21

Reaction score
That seems like decent weight transfer. What was the change in heights without the weight distribution hooked up?

Did you have LT tires on the Silverado?
about 2 inches and i used firestone destination tires on chevy

massram21

Reaction score
i want to thank everyone for their help ,this is a great forum site

Quint

Reaction score
My only suggestion was going to be the tongue weight, but you seem to have ruled that out.

All that I will say is that my 2021 Ram tows my boat and snowmobiles really well. I easily one-hand it with zero darting. Something is definitely off. Seeing as that you have now tow two different trailers with the same result it is either your specific truck, the hitch, or sway bar.

Good luck.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might want to install a Hellwig Swaybar. The OEM bar gives the rear end a loose but comfortable ride, but not enogh for towing in my opnion. The Hellwig fixed this issue for me.

Might also want to thank about adding some Timbren Suspension Enhancement System to keep the front of the truck planted.

Last edited:

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The one thing hinted at but no clear answer on was whether you took the trailer to a CAT scale to measure actual axle weights. If not, that may offer further clarity as measuring sag can be deceiving given progressive springs, etc. To me it'd be worth the ~$25 to check cuz for sure there is something off.

massram21

Reaction score
My only suggestion was going to be the tongue weight, but you seem to have ruled that out.

All that I will say is that my 2021 Ram tows my boat and snowmobiles really well. I easily one-hand it with zero darting. Something is definitely off. Seeing as that you have now tow two different trailers with the same result it is either your specific truck, the hitch, or sway bar.

Good luck.
same hitch and sway bar i used for 16 years towing with 2004 Silverado 1500 and i just towed the same camper that i had for 16 years to see if it was new trailer causing issue . i put in complaint to Ram and that got right back to me and dealer is going to look at it next week. impressed at how fast Ram responded .truck is a great truck ,great ride , except when i am towing then its a little scary

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Sounds like a classic weight/improper setup hitch issue. What were your axle weights when weighed unhitched, then hitched with your WDH?

Only way to solve this.

I tow a 7600lb trailer with my truck and had to up the hitch angle vs my 2014 Hemi to get the proper transfer with this truck despite the same hitch height. Felt squirmy on first drive, minor tilt adjustment and it drives at 75-80 one handed with wind.

sarangpaul9

Reaction score
Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now. teatv e sadhana

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

Need more information..

What are towing? What is your setup? What have you tried so far?

massram21

Reaction score
Sounds like a classic weight/improper setup hitch issue. What were your axle weights when weighed unhitched, then hitched with your WDH?

Only way to solve this.

I tow a 7600lb trailer with my truck and had to up the hitch angle vs my 2014 Hemi to get the proper transfer with this truck despite the same hitch height. Felt squirmy on first drive, minor tilt adjustment and it drives at 75-80 one handed with wind.
does the 2014 Ram have leaf springs, I have tried adjusting hitch angle and height, and also towed my camper i had sold but had towed for 16 years out last week to see if maybe my 2014 trailer was problem and had same issues, I do not want to have to spend 1000+ dollars and a lot of time under my brand new truck to see if i can fix it when this truck should be able to tow this camper which is 6500 lbs dry less than my 11561 rated tow cap (trailer is 5075 lbs dry and 7500 if max loaded which would never happen .old camper was 7700 lbs loaded

massram21

Reaction score
Need more information..

What are towing? What is your setup? What have you tried so far?
2014 outback 230 trs and my old camper was a 2003 keystone springdale 266 rr . i have reese WDH with friction sway bar bought in 2003 with camper. tried adjusting pitch and height of hitch. checked tongue weight , changed trailer king load range d tires to goodyear endurance load range e .checked and repack bearings on trailer

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2014 outback 230 trs and my old camper was a 2003 keystone springdale 266 rr . i have reese WDH with friction sway bar bought in 2003 with camper. tried adjusting pitch and height of hitch. checked tongue weight , changed trailer king load range d tires to goodyear endurance load range e .checked and repack bearings on trailer

So you changed trailer tires but the culprit is typically tow vehicle tires.

Most Ram tires comes with “SL” load rated that have soft sidewalls. When towing a tall, long trailer these will squish as the wind pushes the camper. You want a minimum of “XL” load range or higher with stiffer sidewalls and inflated close to max pressure.

Its also very important that you are weighing and adjusting with the trailer loaded. Toy haulers have higher variance in tongue weight loaded vs unloaded.

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score

Only way to solve this.

Darn, I wasn't looking forward to hearing this. I haven't towed yet, but was wondering about this compared to my 2015. OK, better go find the tools and get ready... Shouldn't wait till the day of a trip... I'll test it first, first without any WDH, just to get a baseline, then with the WDH old settings and see... I have the after market airbags uninstalled as of yet that I had on the 2015 (thumbs up) and want to see how it does without them also.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
does the 2014 Ram have leaf springs, I have tried adjusting hitch angle and height, and also towed my camper i had sold but had towed for 16 years out last week to see if maybe my 2014 trailer was problem and had same issues, I do not want to have to spend 1000+ dollars and a lot of time under my brand new truck to see if i can fix it when this truck should be able to tow this camper which is 6500 lbs dry less than my 11561 rated tow cap (trailer is 5075 lbs dry and 7500 if max loaded which would never happen .old camper was 7700 lbs loaded

Same mushy coils in the old truck.

Post your truck unhitched axles weights and your hitched axle and trailer weights and I bet I can point you in the right direction. Have solved many white knuckle trailering issues for folks who thought their hitch was setup correctly by many RV dealers, or by themselves with just a few minor tweaks.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
A full side picture of your hitched rig and trailer can help as well. Slightly nose down trailer is much better than nose up….

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought, and only an opinion, but all this WDH adjusting and weight shifting is a good thing, but only up to a point. You are still fighting it to no avail. Has anyone thought about the speed they are towing at? Try slowing down to under 80, or even under 70, and see if it makes a difference. You might find that your towing experience is a whole lot more enjoyable.

TRIBUTE100

Reaction score
We just returned from a camping trip about 60 miles from the house here in Western NC. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed with 5.7L Hemi e-Torque, with 1,800 miles.
It came with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 275/55R20 113T tires, max. pressure 44psi. I use a Fastway Equalizer WDH with 4 way sway control. I previously used a 2001 Chevy 2500HD
8.1L with Load Range E tires, to tow our 7,500 GVW, 33 foot travel trailer. I adjusted the WDH for the new Ram and added Air Lift 1000 HD Helper Air Bags to the rear coil springs. The Ram's drive train and braking worked great, kept the tranny in tow mode. Mostly interstate driving, I noticed the Ram's front end was a little squirrely, but not terrible, driving at 60-65 MPH. Checked the tire pressure monitoring system while driving after tires had heated up, running about 41PSI. I thought I had maxed the tire pressure to 44psi cold, but had not (brain fart). When we got home the front end height was 1/2" high from unloaded height (which is within WDH parameters). I did add one more washer to the WDH to hopefully bring the front end down a little and will be sure to max out the cold tire pressure before our next camping trip. I might considered heavy duty tires if these adjustment don't work, but so far I've been very pleased with my 2021 Ram 1500.

bpwj76

Reaction score
We just returned from a camping trip about 60 miles from the house here in Western NC. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed with 5.7L Hemi e-Torque, with 1,800 miles.
It came with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 275/55R20 113T tires, max. pressure 44psi. I use a Fastway Equalizer WDH with 4 way sway control. I previously used a 2001 Chevy 2500HD
8.1L with Load Range E tires, to tow our 7,500 GVW, 33 foot travel trailer. I adjusted the WDH for the new Ram and added Air Lift 1000 HD Helper Air Bags to the rear coil springs. The Ram's drive train and braking worked great, kept the tranny in tow mode. Mostly interstate driving, I noticed the Ram's front end was a little squirrely, but not terrible, driving at 60-65 MPH. Checked the tire pressure monitoring system while driving after tires had heated up, running about 41PSI. I thought I had maxed the tire pressure to 44psi cold, but had not (brain fart). When we got home the front end height was 1/2" high from unloaded height (which is within WDH parameters). I did add one more washer to the WDH to hopefully bring the front end down a little and will be sure to max out the cold tire pressure before our next camping trip. I might considered heavy duty tires if these adjustment don't work, but so far I've been very pleased with my 2021 Ram 1500.
Yeah, the drivetrain does just fine with my 7100lb TT too. Even though with the 3.21 gears it downshifts to 5th a lot and sometimes even to 4th on the highway. I still have the Dueler H/L Alenza's on my truck too. Air them up to 44 psi and they are still too squishy. Thinking of putting XL's on there as replacements. I am hoping they will be a good compromise between having a little extra towing stability (just needs a little extra) and ride comfort when not towing.

TRIBUTE100

Reaction score
Yeah, the drivetrain does just fine with my 7100lb TT too. Even though with the 3.21 gears it downshifts to 5th a lot and sometimes even to 4th on the highway. I still have the Dueler H/L Alenza's on my truck too. Air them up to 44 psi and they are still too squishy. Thinking of putting XL's on there as replacements. I am hoping they will be a good compromise between having a little extra towing stability (just needs a little extra) and ride comfort when not towing.
I agree bpwj76. I've got the 3.92 rear axle because I'm in the mountains. I'll air those tires up to 44 psi when we go camping again, and see how it does before I replace the tires with XL's. I didn't find anything above the XL's with a load index of 117 - 51 psi max in that size tire and I don't want to go to a different size. I definitely like the ride comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online