5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bonacroots

Reaction score
I recently bought a travel trailer with a overall length of 32'm 7500 dry weight and 833lb tongue weight. My question is because I just recently sold my truck 6 months ago and now need an new truck is what to get. my old truck was a 1500 big horn. Id love to get a new 1500 because I only tow a few times a year and usually flat ground and with a crewmax 5.7 hemi, 3,92 rear the numbers if i am doing it right seems about right with towing at 11320, payload at 1720 or so and gvcw at 17000 and ram site says max trailer 11320(i dont always trust dealer sites) but when I add the 833lb tongue weight, me, my wife and two small kids i still have 500lbs or so leftover of payload and 3500lbs of tow capacity left. I would definetly be using a weight distribution hitch and even air bags if possible but my question really is, is anyone else towing travel trailers that long with 1/2 tons? When not towing I have to drive around 20-30k miles a year for work with no towing so gas mileage is huge for me but dont want to tow if its not right and should be in a 3/4ton. truck would also be equipped with trailer tow package and most likely offroad package as well

bonacroots

Reaction score
That is a very large trailer. Read some of our towing threads and let me know what you think the answer will be
that is what i am doing as we speak. Found one where a guy is towing same length trailer but 1000lbs heavier with no issue so gonna keep on reading till my lunch break is over

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you pay attention to the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).

Yes you are in the towing capacity but I think you will find that you will probably exceed one or both of the ratings above.

My payload is 1426lbs. Take away the tongue weight would leave me about 600 lbs for people and supplies. If those are just the dry weights then the wet weights will take even more of the payload.

As devildodge mentioned, plenty of threads that have more information that we can provide.

If you want to skirt (or go over) the limits of the truck that is up to you, even if it is just a few times a year. If I was only traveling a short distance I might consider it, but personally I'd either be looking at a smaller trailer that 'fits' the 1500's capabilities or look at 2500s in my budget.

Just my .02

mlcarril

Reaction score
I recently bought a travel trailer with a overall length of 32'm 7500 dry weight and 833lb tongue weight. My question is because I just recently sold my truck 6 months ago and now need an new truck is what to get. my old truck was a 1500 big horn. Id love to get a new 1500 because I only tow a few times a year and usually flat ground and with a crewmax 5.7 hemi, 3,92 rear the numbers if i am doing it right seems about right with towing at 11320, payload at 1720 or so and gvcw at 17000 and ram site says max trailer 11320(i dont always trust dealer sites) but when I add the 833lb tongue weight, me, my wife and two small kids i still have 500lbs or so leftover of payload and 3500lbs of tow capacity left. I would definetly be using a weight distribution hitch and even air bags if possible but my question really is, is anyone else towing travel trailers that long with 1/2 tons? When not towing I have to drive around 20-30k miles a year for work with no towing so gas mileage is huge for me but dont want to tow if its not right and should be in a 3/4ton. truck would also be equipped with trailer tow package and most likely offroad package as well
I currently tow a 25' toy hauler, 30' overall, 7000 lbs dry weight, 800 lb tongue. 5.7 ram rebel 4wd 3.92 gears, tow package. I use the Toyhauler about once a month, so i couldn't justify the 2500 ram. I use a stabilizing hitch, and added rear air bag (which is not really needed for towing, the hitch does a great job with sag.) and a hellwig sway bar (must). I have no issues towing. Even here in Cali, where everywhere involves a grade in one way or another. I agree you need to be mindful of the GVWR and GCWR, but keeping that in mind, I do not feel I am pushing the limit of the vehicle.

Attachments

• 0A52BF94-9255-4C30-9DE2-5A14336B1662_1_105_c.jpeg
    0A52BF94-9255-4C30-9DE2-5A14336B1662_1_105_c.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 51

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 29’ overall TT, 6900# at the scales, 1000# tongue, pretty comfortably. Sometimes with the dirt bike in the bed. I don’t know I’d go much bigger, but think you will be ok, if we’ll-prepared.

I’m in your boat, couldnt live with a 2500 as a daily. Buy the best WDH/anti-sway you can afford, minimize weight added behind the trailer axles, and drive like your kids are in the car.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Is that tongue weight from the manufacturer, or actual tongue weight taken at the scales after the trailer is loaded for camping? 833 pounds sounds awfully low for a trailer that big. Normal tongue weight is usually around 12-13% of actual trailer weight, so let's say you add 1000 pounds to the 7500 pound dry weight once loaded for camping, that gives you a tongue weight of around 1100 pounds. Our 22' travel trailer (28' overall) that weighs 6500 pounds fully loaded has over an 800 pound tongue weight. Just something to keep in mind. Also, the Off Road package adds a good bit of weight to the truck, so you'll lose some payload if you add that option.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To give you an idea my payload is 1426 lbs with all the options I got on my Big Horn (which is most of them).

I sacrificed payload for options as I don't tow much besides a utility or U-Haul trailer any more.

If you are curious how much the options weigh I have attached the option weights sheet that I have for my 2019. I am sure the newer ones are floating around on the internet but I only have the one for my truck.

Attachments

• 2019_DT_Option Weights.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

CaptBeach

Reaction score
Your a tad on the heavy side but you'll be ok. I am towing a 25' TT, dry wt is 6400, tongue wt is 700ish, YOU WILL NEED TO UPGRADE factory tires to E rated...

bonacroots

Reaction score
I tow a 29’ overall TT, 6900# at the scales, 1000# tongue, pretty comfortably. Sometimes with the dirt bike in the bed. I don’t know I’d go much bigger, but think you will be ok, if we’ll-prepared.

I’m in your boat, couldnt live with a 2500 as a daily. Buy the best WDH/anti-sway you can afford, minimize weight added behind the trailer axles, and drive like your kids are in the car.
My kids will be in the car lol. I have a anti sway and air bags would be in car. All the number seem to work so for times I use it i think it’ll be ok

bonacroots

Reaction score
Than
To give you an idea my payload is 1426 lbs with all the options I got on my Big Horn (which is most of them).

I sacrificed payload for options as I don't tow much besides a utility or U-Haul trailer any more.

If you are curious how much the options weigh I have attached the option weights sheet that I have for my 2019. I am sure the newer ones are floating around on the internet but I only have the one for my truck.
Thanks for that sheet that helps. I’m custom ordering mine because dealers love to throw extra pointless **** in there. With all specs I’m at 1720 payload and 11320 tow and 17000 total and almost always tow trailer try and art everything inside once there other then clothes and bikes of course so my total added weight on top never exceeds like 200lbs and kids are tiny so me my wife and kids are like 400lb max. I’m still 350lbs under my payload and 3000 lbs under on towing and 2000lbs under I believe in total gvw. If only ram too would update 2500 interior to be as nice as 1500 but I also drive 30k miles a year for work with no towing and loss is gas mileage would hurt the wallet big time. I know someone said look for new trailer and I have two smaller vintage ones I fixed up but this one is like new and was given to me so can’t pass it up for the kids to experience

bonacroots

Reaction score
Your a tad on the heavy side but you'll be ok. I am towing a 25' TT, dry wt is 6400, tongue wt is 700ish, YOU WILL NEED TO UPGRADE factory tires to E rated...
I never keep factory tires. Always use a e rated fire on all old trucks. Your it far off from mine with 7400lb trailer and 833 tongue so I’m under on all numbers when I crunch it snd will have good heavy duty wdh and air bags installed. Most trailering will be 10miles from my house to campgrounds in soft sand in the ocean and only once or twice with distances to mountains. Biggest trips would be ny-Disney for kids but all flat ground

bonacroots

Reaction score
Is that tongue weight from the manufacturer, or actual tongue weight taken at the scales after the trailer is loaded for camping? 833 pounds sounds awfully low for a trailer that big. Normal tongue weight is usually around 12-13% of actual trailer weight, so let's say you add 1000 pounds to the 7500 pound dry weight once loaded for camping, that gives you a tongue weight of around 1100 pounds. Our 22' travel trailer (28' overall) that weighs 6500 pounds fully loaded has over an 800 pound tongue weight. Just something to keep in mind. Also, the Off Road package adds a good bit of weight to the truck, so you'll lose some payload if you add that option.
That is scale weight. It’s a ultra lite camper

bonacroots

Reaction score
To give an idea on the lite version your 22 you said is 6500 I believe. This 32 is 7400. Not much for 10feet more. I decided against offroad package too just don’t need it. Wdh and airbags and road range e tires is all I need. I’d be paying for a package to say offroad on side which I don’t need. Tongue rating for this trailer too is 11%

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No need to justify it. Seems a bit big for a 1500 but if the numbers work, good luck (y)

Mchurch52

Reaction score
In that case you should be fine as far as weight is concerned. I'd spend some time at the scales getting the WDH all dialed in once you get your truck, that'll make a world of difference in how she tows. My 1500 actaully tows smoother than my 2500 did becuase I got the WDH all dialed in myself at the scales, while with my 2500 I let the dealer set it up (don't trust them to do it right).

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You stated your trailers weight is dry at 7400 and 833 hitch. What is it loaded and scaled?

bonacroots

Reaction score
You stated your trailers weight is dry at 7400 and 833 hitch. What is it loaded and scaled?
no those are dry weights but with truck set up i have wiggle room to go down a little bit. since i posted however i found a 2500 that i may jump on just to double my payload and travel capabilities in case we decide to travel further and into higher elevations.

bonacroots

Reaction score
thank you evreryone for all the comments and suggesstions. Ive towed a lot through the years so logic is telling me go bigger so I have more options on where to go. Found this truck last night and may jump on it. Just have to work dealer on price a little since a few options on it I dont need or want

bonacroots

Reaction score
im picking up truck next weekend with my fathers 2500 diesel in nc and driving it back to ny. On way home will be stopping at scale to get the most accurate numbers I can on trailer so I can purchase vehicle accordlingly but as i stated too in other response most likely will be going to a 2500 just so I dont have to worry about any load at anytime. One im looking at even has the 4.10 rear. dont need it and wont affect payload but going from 1720 to 2800 will make me feel a lot safer with wife and kids in with me

Users who are viewing this thread