5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing 35’ Travel Trailer with 3.6L 1500

187penguin

Reaction score
Towed this setup about 200 miles. Left it in “tow” mode and set cruise control to where it comfortably held about 2200 rpms and didn’t need to search for gears going over every little hump, which was about 65mph. The auto sway control is super cool. There was a very stiff crosswind for some of the drive and it would sometimes kick in. I have to re-program myself to not try to correct for it…. I used to tow a skid steer behind a 2005 Ram practically daily for years and I have some old habits from that.
Gas mileage dropped by more than half, from around 22-23mpg highways to 10. Other than that, it worked a treat. I was really impressed. I made a little infographic with 2 scale tickets and some notes.
Also, The dealer has not been able to get me in to install a Ram trailer brake controller, So I am using a Bluetooth Curt echo controller in the meantime. It’s really slick, and I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants a universal plug and play brake controller.

Attachments

• 5154978A-2298-4250-893C-736B5F63032A.jpeg
    5154978A-2298-4250-893C-736B5F63032A.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Towed this setup about 200 miles. Left it in “tow” mode and set cruise control to where it comfortably held about 2200 rpms and didn’t need to search for gears going over every little hump, which was about 65mph. The auto sway control is super cool. There was a very stiff crosswind for some of the drive and it would sometimes kick in. I have to re-program myself to not try to correct for it…. I used to tow a skid steer behind a 2005 Ram practically daily for years and I have some old habits from that.
Gas mileage dropped by more than half, from around 22-23mpg highways to 10. Other than that, it worked a treat. I was really impressed. I made a little infographic with 2 scale tickets and some notes.
Also, The dealer has not been able to get me in to install a Ram trailer brake controller, So I am using a Bluetooth Curt echo controller in the meantime. It’s really slick, and I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants a universal plug and play brake controller.
Wow that’s really impressive! Sounds like the v6 performed pretty good with all that weight back there. Just curious what is the auto sway control you are referring to?

trouserpants

Reaction score
The weight distribution setup ADDED 440 pounds to the rear axle? I've never used one of those but that's not what I was expecting. I thought those things pushed weight back on the trailer axle and also on the front axle while taking weight off of the rear axle.

Regardless, that's some impressive towing with the V6.

pcar

Reaction score
The weight distribution setup ADDED 440 pounds to the rear axle? I've never used one of those but that's not what I was expecting. I thought those things pushed weight back on the trailer axle and also on the front axle while taking weight off of the rear axle.

yeah something seems off. I've never come across weight distribution setups reacting like this ever.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

yeah something seems off. I've never come across weight distribution setups reacting like this ever.
He says trailer unhitched in the first CAT scale.

Guessing that means not connected to truck.

As you can see the trailer axles lose weight in the other CAT slip.

The weight the rear axle gained is because he then has it hooked to the truck.

My guess based on the info he provided.

Which is why it seems the weight distribution added to the rear and took away from the trailer.

But he remarks it worked as designed getting weight to the front.

Or I am wrong too...lol

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Which is why it seems the weight distribution added to the rear and took away from the trailer.

Or I am wrong too...lol

Agreed. It’s the unhooking of the trailer in #1 that makes the weight slips confusing

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That GCWR on the 3.6 with 3.55 is quite impressive at 12,900, isn’t the 5.7 with 3.21 gears only 1000 pounds higher?? Seems like ram underrated the 3.21 5.7 but I guess that a J2807 question.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That GCWR on the 3.6 with 3.55 is quite impressive at 12,900, isn’t the 5.7 with 3.21 gears only 1000 pounds higher?? Seems like ram underrated the 3.21 5.7 but I guess that a J2807 question.
5.7L Durango w/ 3.09 gears is 13,100 lbs

So a 3.21 Ram has 4% higher gear with a 6% higher GCWR

Seems on par to me, I wouldn’t consider it underrated.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5.7L Durango w/ 3.09 gears is 13,100 lbs

So a 3.21 Ram has 4% higher gear with a 6% higher GCWR

Seems on par to me, I wouldn’t consider it underrated.
Wow that’s pretty impressive for a unibody platform, I always thought they struggled more at towing but that might be old thinking. Is that a 4x4 durango? I’m guessing it’s the same 8HP75 transmission in the durango.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that’s pretty impressive for a unibody platform, I always thought they struggled more at towing but that might be old thinking. Is that a 4x4 durango? I’m guessing it’s the same 8HP75 transmission in the durango.

Yes 4x4 it has a 7,100 lbs GVWR.

Durango still uses the old 8HP70, (same gear ratios as the 8HP75)

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes 4x4 it has a 7,100 lbs GVWR.

Durango still uses the old 8HP70, (same gear ratios as the 8HP75)
Ah ok cool, the ratios is what I was wondering about. That 75 vs 70 is the maximum torque input rating, 750nm vs 700 isn’t much of a difference. Even the 850RE behind the 3.6 motors has a good 500nm rating.

187penguin

Reaction score
Wow that’s really impressive! Sounds like the v6 performed pretty good with all that weight back there. Just curious what is the auto sway control you are referring to?
Hey! Sorry for the late response. The auto sway control will use several motion sensors on the truck to detect trailer sway and will lightly and immediately apply braking to either the right or left side to cancel out the sway before it can propagate into anything severe. Really cool stuff!

Last edited:

187penguin

Reaction score

Or I am wrong too...lol
This is correct. The first ticket has the trailer completely disconnected with it’s jackstand completely on the trailer scale, and the truck’s curb weight is shown by combining the steering and drive axle weights. The second ticket is with the trailer connected and the distribution hitch fully engaged.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey! Sorry for the late response. The auto sway control will use several motion sensors on the truck to detect trailer sway and will lightly and immediately apply braking to either the front right and left rear or vis versa to cancel out the sway before it can propagate into anything severe. Really cool stuff!
Oh wow that’s awesome! I didn’t even know Ram had that feature lol

187penguin

Reaction score
Oh wow that’s awesome! I didn’t even know Ram had that feature lol
Yep! If a vehicle has traction control, it basically piggybacks on that system and adds a lot of safety to towing. This video has a good basic explanation during the first 3 minutes of how our Ram’s trailer sway control works.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep! If a vehicle has traction control, it basically piggybacks on that system and adds a lot of safety to towing. This video has a good basic explanation during the first 3 minutes of how our Ram’s trailer sway control works.
I've heard certain WDH's interfere with these systems, any input on that?

NRitland2

Reaction score
Very impressive.
Very impressive set up. We just upgraded to a 29' Keystone Bullet 250bhs. We haven't taken it out yet. What is the size of the Curt W/D? 800/8000? 1000/10000? How do you like the Keystone? We are going from a 2017 Toyota Tacoma and a 20' rPod.. so big changes

Users who are viewing this thread