5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mirrors

NEWVETTE2

Reaction score
The mirror issue is pathetic. I bought my 2019 Limited with towing mirrors. It has level one group. The window sticker even said it had surround view and power heated towing mirrors. It wasn't until after I purchased when the dealer was going over the truck on delivery that They Said "Oh by the way because it has towing mirrors you lost surround view cam" And Power Heated mirrors no longer power fold like my 2016 Laramie. This is absolute BS. I am so sick of getting out to fold the mirror. On a "LIMITED LEVEL ONE OPTIONED" Truck
Its awesome to have a Ford Or Chevy truck guy watch me get out and fold the stupid mirror after the car wash!!!! THINK ABOUT THAT MOPAR!
I am willing to eat the added cost to put the small mirrors on as long as I get all the functions back, That I ALREADY PAID FOR!!!!!
So PLEASE KEEP THIS GOING.
2019 RAMS ARE GREAT TRUCKS------- TOO BAD FORD AND CHEVY GUYS HAVE TO WATCH US GET OUT AND FOLD OUR MIRRORS
I AGREE WITH YOU, GOING THRU THE SAME BS WITH THE MIRRORS, BUT THEY SAY IT'S NOT THE SALESMAN'S FAULT, THAT WHY YOU GO TO A SALESMAN

BPI

Reaction score
Did anyone ever get the mirror heat turned on? I have a 2019 dealer demo sport that had tow mirrors which I had them take off and put the sport mirrors back on. There's no heat at all and I am trying to get the dealer to make it work since it was listed on the build sheet. If they refuse I am willing to retro fit myself if possible.

kjn86

Reaction score
Did anyone ever get the mirror heat turned on? I have a 2019 dealer demo sport that had tow mirrors which I had them take off and put the sport mirrors back on. There's no heat at all and I am trying to get the dealer to make it work since it was listed on the build sheet. If they refuse I am willing to retro fit myself if possible.

I have been unable to get the heat to work on my new mirrors without using ODBGenie or Tazer. I have not tried to use those as I don't want to pay more than $100 for this. I don't believe it's that important. Your dealer will NOT be able to do it. Many have confirmed this. They can't add codes for things that aren't packages, i.e. since there isn't a "heated mirror" upgrade, they can't do anything with their computers. Most don't know this and some may be willing to try, but I would bet based on the confirmations I have received it will be a waste of time.

If yours had heated tow mirrors before, then the standard mirror should have heat. You can tell because only chrome tow mirrors have heat. I would bet yours were black, which is why heat doesn't work even though the new mirrors can be heated.

BPI

Reaction score
Yes my tow mirrors I have found out were black and non-heated. I live in Canada so I don't mind paying for the OBDGenie as long as someone can guarantee it will actually turn them on. I have emailed the company to ask but am still waiting for a reply. Ridiculous the dealer can do nothing about this. It even lists that they are suppose to be heated on the window sheet as it's a sport model. Truly annoying

kjn86

Reaction score
Yes my tow mirrors I have found out were black and non-heated. I live in Canada so I don't mind paying for the OBDGenie as long as someone can guarantee it will actually turn them on. I have emailed the company to ask but am still waiting for a reply. Ridiculous the dealer can do nothing about this. It even lists that they are suppose to be heated on the window sheet as it's a sport model. Truly annoying

If you hear back let me know please just to confirm. Heard a few guys who did Infotainment replacement got heat when they didn't have it before. Thx.

BPI

Reaction score
Just for an update. I purchased the AlfaOBD app, the OBDLink USB cable and the Z Automotive security bypass module. The security module is right behind the electric park brake panel above your left foot. I plugged in the bypass and found that I had to open the OBDLink app first and connect to the computer. Then I could open the AlfaOBD app and it would allow full access. I was able to change the settings to turn my heated mirrors on and remove the tow mirrors. I unplugged the bypass and plugged back in the OEM module and everything still worked and stayed on my changed settings.
Only issue was I had to use an android phone or tablet so I had to borrow one as the apps are not Apple compatible.

kjn86

Reaction score
Just for an update. I purchased the AlfaOBD app, the OBDLink USB cable and the Z Automotive security bypass module. The security module is right behind the electric park brake panel above your left foot. I plugged in the bypass and found that I had to open the OBDLink app first and connect to the computer. Then I could open the AlfaOBD app and it would allow full access. I was able to change the settings to turn my heated mirrors on and remove the tow mirrors. I unplugged the bypass and plugged back in the OEM module and everything still worked and stayed on my changed settings.
Only issue was I had to use an android phone or tablet so I had to borrow one as the apps are not Apple compatible.

That's great to hear. May have to do that myself. The mirrors heat when the rear window defroster is turned on, right? Do the mirrors go on when you remote start?

Stickerhead

Reaction score
If you look at your window sticker, it says you will lose the 360 camera if you opt for folding row mirrors. That’s why I did not want the tow mirrors. I have a Limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn25

Reaction score
That's great to hear. May have to do that myself. The mirrors heat when the rear window defroster is turned on, right? Do the mirrors go on when you remote start?
So you now have heated and power folding mirrors on a truck that came stock with trailer tow group?
So you now have heated and power folding mirrors on a truck that originally came with tow mirrors?

BPI

Reaction score
My mirrors aren't power folding but the App would allow me to activate the power feature as I recall seeing it when I went through the menu to turn the heat elements on. I also chose for the heated mirrors to turn on with remote start in addition to when the button is pressed inside.
And yes my truck had been a factory installed tow package with manual tow mirrors.

zauggerr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im in a similar situation here. 2019 Limited with tow mirrors, love the look of them. BUT HATE THE FACT THEY DONT HAVE SURROUND VIEW. drives me nuts.

Im about to order a pair of the NON-tow mirrors used on ebay. all i care about is having the surround camera view for my limited..

Would this mirror... 68276511
Work with this this box... 68319955AD

I was going to order the parts below... Just want to confirm they play nice with surround view mirrors..
Window Switch with folding mirror Part # 68262252AC $80.74
Driver Door Module Part # 68319955AD
Passenger Door Module Part # 68319954AD

Also i have alpha OBD etc, is there a DIY on what i need to do to enable the surround camera veiw to work on the 12" screen once everythings intsalled?

Thanks

Spydie

Reaction score
Here's the latest news on getting your tow mirrors to work properly. I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Tradesman. I bought aftermarket tow mirrors off Amazon, black on the back, not chrome. I installed them easily (the long bolt on the inside bolt that was hitting the door jam and needed to be cut off, was already shortened on this version. I guess they learned their lesson). Of course the puddle light and turn signal didn't work. I took it to the dealer and they programmed the LED and LEC code (puddle light and turn signal). But, when I turned them to vertical position, the controls were off 90 degrees (left/right made them go up/down, etc). So I scrounged around on the internet and some place (I forget where) I found there is one more code, LEG, which controls the movement when they go to vertical. Everyone on the forum said that only worked on OEM mirrors, not aftermarket. And nobody, not even the tech at the dealer, knows what triggers the change. Someone suggested mercury switches in the mirrors, but we know that's not correct because the EPA got rid of mercury switches many years ago. Anyway, for those of you that want to try it, the LEG code does work on my aftermarket mirrors. The tech said maybe not all aftermarket mirrors would work, but you have to have all three codes to get these mirrors to work properly. My cost to program was $129 (very expensive in my book for something that took literally 15 minutes maximum.)

Users who are viewing this thread