5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow/haul mode always when towing?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for reference.
Tow haul mode doesn't disable Aero mode.
It also doesn't change steering whatsoever.

If you are close to max payload it is possible the air suspension did not allow the change in level because it did not think it could keep a safe level at the mode you requested, but has nothing to do with the tow haul button.
Anytime you reach 2000lb or close to it the truck disables air suspension to keep it from overheating the compressor and protect the system.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might be wasting a bit of fuel, but it won't hurt the truck.

That’s what I had thought originally, thanks for the confirmation.

I do live in a very hilly, windy area. I should turn off TH when I hit the highway I guess, really. I just prefer how the truck behaves for the most part - more fun to drive. Work pays for my fuel for now so it hasn’t been a concern, but I’m about to move from the field to working from home so that might change. 😆 I’ll only get to use the company card for fuel on those annual trips to HQ 5 hours away then, but it sure beats having to fly.

I’ll double check, but I could’ve swore someone shared a photo from the manual on another thread saying it’s suggested to use for hauling anything 300lbs or more & explained his weight & what he carries already exceeds that. Figured I was close enough with what I usually have including bodies, tonneau, rack, etc.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use tow/haul mode every single time I hook onto a trailer. Main reason is to keep the MDS system off. Shock loading the valvetrain is bad. Shockloading it with a big load on it is just asking for trouble. I had a 5.7 in a Challenger that had the recall for broken timing chains due to the MDS system and people putting their pedal to the floor a lot. Same concept happens when towing a large trailer on the highway, my truck will use every gear from 3 to 7 and it's important to keep the MDS junk turned off.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use tow/haul mode every single time I hook onto a trailer. Main reason is to keep the MDS system off. Shock loading the valvetrain is bad. Shockloading it with a big load on it is just asking for trouble. I had a 5.7 in a Challenger that had the recall for broken timing chains due to the MDS system and people putting their pedal to the floor a lot. Same concept happens when towing a large trailer on the highway, my truck will use every gear from 3 to 7 and it's important to keep the MDS junk turned off.
Can also just set the gear selector. It doesn't engage if it is set.

The RPM range is improved with Tow mode on though.

Quint

Reaction score
To the OP and others, one important caution that has not yet been mentioned in the conversation is that you should not use Tow Mode in slippery conditions, mainly talking snow here but potentially rain as well. It's in the manual, but generally you don't want the engine braking causing your rear wheels to lose traction.
1682013319473.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
To the OP and others, one important caution that has not yet been mentioned in the conversation is that you should not use Tow Mode in slippery conditions, mainly talking snow here but potentially rain as well. It's in the manual, but generally you don't want the engine braking causing your rear wheels to lose traction.
View attachment 156974
I don't agree with this.
Having your truck in a lower gear driving on snow can be better for traction then a high gear\low rpm but that is personal preference.

If someone manages to swing their truck around on rain because they have tow\haul mode they suck and shouldn't be allowed to have a license.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Limited slip differential does the same thing. It'll make the rear end try to pass the front end on ice or compacted snow. Why no safety warning there?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Should get a warning on all 2wd trucks too, warning may lose traction while moving. 2wd is more dangerous then using toe haul mode in the snow and 2wd is fine unless you are clueless.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't agree with this.
Having your truck in a lower gear driving on snow can be better for traction then a high gear\low rpm but that is personal preference.

If someone manages to swing their truck around on rain because they have tow\haul mode they suck and shouldn't be allowed to have a license.
A point you might have missed is that it might also downshift when you lift off, and that could easily lose rear traction. And unlike the old manual transmissions, you can't just step on the clutch to let the wheels catch up. Most likely to happen on ice, but possible on wet surfaces. Maybe shouldn't be towing on ice anyway, but is what it is.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A point you might have missed is that it might also downshift when you lift off, and that could easily lose rear traction. And unlike the old manual transmissions, you can't just step on the clutch to let the wheels catch up. Most likely to happen on ice, but possible on wet surfaces. Maybe shouldn't be towing on ice anyway, but is what it is.
What are you even talking about?
Tow mode keeps you in a higher gear longer and will not downshift like without it on.
You are basically describing what it is without tow mode.

And you're talking about towing on ice? This has nothing to do with towing, you can use the button when towing nothing and the picture Quint posted just says to not use it during icey or slippery conditions.

If your rear tires slipped while towing because of tow\haul mode wtf would happen? Nothing because your rear wheels are in the middle of yourself at that point with wheels in front and behind still holding traction. Yes if you out your pedal to the metal and spin your rear tires no matter what mode you are in sure you will swing around in 2wd and crash, but that's not what we are talking about (I think)

You got me confused.

Quint

Reaction score
Tow mode keeps you in a higher gear longer and will not downshift like without it on.

And you're talking about towing on ice? This has nothing to do with towing, you can use the button when towing nothing and the picture Quint posted just says to not use it during icey or slippery conditions.

If your rear tires slipped while towing because of tow\haul mode wtf would happen? Nothing because your rear wheels are in the middle of yourself at that point with wheels in front and behind still holding traction. Yes if you out your pedal to the metal and spin your rear tires no matter what mode you are in sure you will swing around in 2wd and crash, but that's not what we are talking about (I think)

You got me confused.
I don't know the theories that are working in your head, but I only know about RAM's warning because it happened to me. Winter of 2021/22 I was towing my loaded two-place snowmobile trailer during a snowstorm. I came around a curve on the highway to see a car half on the shoulder and half in my lane. I let off the gas and it downshifted on me a few seconds later. It sent my rear wheels sliding and it started to jack knife. I was able to regain control and move over but I learned a good lesson. It wouldn't have downshifted that hard if Tow Mode was off. It's the change in torque to the wheels that can cause you to lose traction. In effect it's like hitting the rear brakes.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't know the theories that are working in your head, but I only know about RAM's warning because it happened to me. Winter of 2021/22 I was towing my loaded two-place snowmobile trailer during a snowstorm. I came around a curve on the highway to see a car half on the shoulder and half in my lane. I let off the gas and it downshifted on me a few seconds later. It sent my rear wheels sliding and it started to jack knife. I was able to regain control and move over but I learned a good lesson. It wouldn't have downshifted that hard if Tow Mode was off. It's the change in torque to the wheels that can cause you to lose traction. In effect it's like hitting the rear brakes.
Sounds like it wheel hopped

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like you weren't using proper tires for the snow.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You got me confused.

It sounds like you've turned it around backwards in your mind. I'd suggest you start at the beginning of the thread and read what's been explained about it, and what the manual says about it. Anything I'm likely to write now has already been done.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It sounds like you've turned it around backwards in your mind. I'd suggest you start at the beginning of the thread and read what's been explained about it, and what the manual says about it. Anything I'm likely to write now has already been done.
Nope.
You are mix matching the 2 conversations in this thread.
OP was about using tow\haul when towing, someone else posted a picture on the manual about not using it during icy or wet conditions.

Tow Haul will not make you lose traction unless you were already bound to lose it.
Grade braking will not engage on it's own unless yo hit the break and will continue until you lightly tap the accelerator and then it will upshift to whatever gear it wanted to be in.

Your rear wheels are not going to spin your truck around while towing without hitting the accelerator peddle.

JetMech

Reaction score
The big thing Tow/Haul mode also does is when you are slowing down, it will downshift to a lower gear, and will downshift even lower the harder you brake. It will then hold that lower gear, even when coasting. It won't upshift again until you press on the accelerator. Highly recommend you use tow haul mode for that reason in those conditions.

You will of course not have MDS in operation in tow/haul mode, which will slightly lower your mpg when on level easy throttle, as will the transmission taking longer to shift up, to aid a bit with acceleration.

But it's not like you can't toggle the switch off/on whenever you like. If you are going up or down a steep hill, switch it on, if you are cruising on a flat road, switch it off if you want the MDS to turn on.

Just keep an eye on the tranny temps. The manual actually recommends you go into tow/haul mode on mountain roads even without towing in order to help keep trans temps cooler.

The big thing Tow/Haul mode also does is when you are slowing down, it will downshift to a lower gear, and will downshift even lower the harder you brake. It will then hold that lower gear, even when coasting. It won't upshift again until you press on the accelerator. Highly recommend you use tow haul mode for that reason in those conditions.

You will of course not have MDS in operation in tow/haul mode, which will slightly lower your mpg when on level easy throttle, as will the transmission taking longer to shift up, to aid a bit with acceleration.

But it's not like you can't toggle the switch off/on whenever you like. If you are going up or down a steep hill, switch it on, if you are cruising on a flat road, switch it off if you want the MDS to turn on.

Just keep an eye on the tranny temps. The manual actually recommends you go into tow/haul mode on mountain roads even without towing in order to help keep trans temps cooler.
I also have the 5.7 (no E Torq) with a 3.92 and with it in tow/ haul, the MDS does work a few times. It will also hit 8th gear occasionally on level ground. This is with it towing a 5000lb boat.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tow Mode is a go-to for me always, on any tow vehicle, when towing and even sometimes when not solely for gettin-er-stopped features, more so than the gettin-er-goin features.

In addition to the TV service brakes and trailer brakes, I'll gladly welcome additional engine braking when the transmission kicks down a gear or 2 when slowing down. If I had a diesel exhaust brake or a magic wand, I'd use them too. All help in the physics department is welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread