5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jkm312

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your engine shelling out on you, that would be disappointing to say the least. Sounds like the wheels are in motion to replace it.
Glad to hear you were able to sail a dead brick across 5 lanes of traffic on I80 in rush hour, unscathed except for a few dozen nerve endings.
I ridden my Harley's down that road on the way back home in the midwest several times. It's tough enough when everything is working right. Let alone when it's not!

mainjet

Reaction score
They told me on the phone, the new engine will come with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. I asked why it didn’t come with the entire 5 year, 60k that came with the original one, he said he will have to check on it.
That seems fair. While we all would definitely feel like “hey let’s start all over”, the fact is the original warranty says you have 5 years 60,000 mile power train warranty. So their job is to cover you to that point. Your engine took a dump around 3 years 50,000. So they are honoring the warranty for another 2 years unlimited miles.

The chances that you would have another catastrophic failure on a new engine are slim but not impossible. But it’s about as good as anyone could ask for to have a brand new engine. In 2 years you are going to have a 5 year old truck with only about 30k miles. That’s pretty good and I would think it would increase your resale a bit.

Now the question - how are they going to handle the odometer? I’m sure they have to leave it as is. But you need good documentation of the engine replacement and mileage so you can show the next sucker buyer😜

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That seems fair. While we all would definitely feel like “hey let’s start all over”, the fact is the original warranty says you have 5 years 60,000 mile power train warranty. So their job is to cover you to that point. Your engine took a dump around 3 years 50,000. So they are honoring the warranty for another 2 years unlimited miles.

The chances that you would have another catastrophic failure on a new engine are slim but not impossible. But it’s about as good as anyone could ask for to have a brand new engine. In 2 years you are going to have a 5 year old truck with only about 30k miles. That’s pretty good and I would think it would increase your resale a bit.

Now the question - how are they going to handle the odometer? I’m sure they have to leave it as is. But you need good documentation of the engine replacement and mileage so you can show the next sucker buyer😜
There's more to wear and tear in a vehicle from mileage than just the engine. Replacing the engine doesn't reset the odometer. It's still a truck with 80k miles (using your numbers)

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 2020 1500 Laramie Night Edition, I LOVE IT, like more than anyone should love their car, maybe even more than my husband....ANYWHO

Yesterday, I am minding my beeswax, driving East on I 80 towards Sacramento in rush hours at a steady 85 MPH, when suddenly, I got an error on my dash about the stop/start not being engaged (something like that), everything happened so quickly, next I get a "service electric throttle warning", check engine light and then it take a S**t and dies. I narrowly avoided getting killed as I idled across 5 lanes of traffic trying to get to the hard shoulder with no acceleration. It starts trying to put itself into park (while I am still in motion) then the parking break turned on (I was already stopped at this point). The engine wouldn't turn over, and just rattled like nothing I have ever heard, it smelled like burning gas, and then coolant. Got her towed to the nearest RAM dealership.........

They just called me, total engine replacement.....One issue is it is backfiring...or something, but they said it was one of many issues, and in a nut shell it the engine replacement was the resolution...

Now riddle me this, how is a $70k truck with less than 50k miles on it need a new engine, its not even 3 years old....I have NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT TILL NOW.....

It is still under the limited Powertrain warranty but I am so reluctant to believe they are going to honor that, I have requested a loaner and I want to seek reimbursement for what I am having to pay for this truck while it is undrivable. I have zero experience with RAM and their warranties, but I have heard hellish ones about Chrysler and Dodge......

Has anyone had experience with this/these issues, or using the limited powertrain warranty on an engine replacement....?

I am literally at a loss for words, and I am one quite unhappy customer.....

So I noticed that ALL of the 2021 models with eTorque just got recalled because they have faulty engine tunes in the software that causes them to run too rich and sometimes suddenly die while driving. But ironically the 2020 isn't included even though people have had the same issue. Go figure...

mainjet

Reaction score
There's more to wear and tear in a vehicle from mileage than just the engine. Replacing the engine doesn't reset the odometer. It's still a truck with 80k miles (using your numbers)
As I said - "I'm sure they have to leave it as is".

While I am dumb, I'm not stupid and I do realize that miles are accumulating on all parts of the vehicle and not just the engine. But thank you for confirming my suspicions of this fact. These are the types of gems that make forums so good. :p

Now you have me wondering if that's why a truck rusts out sometimes before the engine quits working or why I have to put alternator an in but the truck otherwise seems good.
:unsure:;)

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

While I am dumb, I'm not stupid and I do realize that miles are accumulating on all parts of the vehicle and not just the engine. But thank you for confirming my suspicions of this fact. These are the types of gems that make forums so good. :p

Now you have me wondering if that's why a truck rusts out sometimes before the engine quits working or why I have to put alternator an in but the truck otherwise seems good.

And before you tell me that the truck doesn't have an alternator because the etorque has a generator that takes the place of the alternator. I know...
Most trucks with v8s last longer then the body... My father truck currently has 195k miles running great, but the whole truck is rusting apart. We had to put metal plates to cover holes on the inside of the floor, the gas tank is held up by metal straps and screws because the mounting section on the frame no longer exists, can put your hand inside of the engine compartment because of rust on the sides.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Vehicles rust out due to poor cleaning by owners. You can't just run your car through automatic car washes and expect to get all the places rust starts. Rust starts in those places because dirt/salt get into them when driving and don't wash out easily. I have a 00 Dakota that was used as a daily driver for most of its life, including Midwest winters. No rust issues on it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Only issue is he has the factory racing seats, and I was a very tight fit in them. Definitely wasn't going to be moving around.
That's kind of the idea. You don't want to be moving around in your seat while racing. Which is why racing seats are stupid in a street car.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's kind of the idea. You don't want to be moving around in your seat while racing. Which is why racing seats are stupid in a street car.
This car, it's a good thing they are there. They were okay for a short drive, but definitely wouldn't want to be driving more than 30-45 minutes in them. The owner is a lot smaller than me and he says they are very comfortable for him, while still holding him in the seat

RedFred

Reaction score
Vehicles rust out due to poor cleaning by owners. You can't just run your car through automatic car washes and expect to get all the places rust starts. Rust starts in those places because dirt/salt get into them when driving and don't wash out easily. I have a 00 Dakota that was used as a daily driver for most of its life, including Midwest winters. No rust issues on it.
That's not entirely true. Some cars or trucks are just more prone to rusting depending on the quality of the metals used and the preventive treatments applied by the manufacturer during build. Yes you can help by taking your own preventive measures, but as an example, I have a 2015 Ram with 180k miles on it that gets driven daily in the northeast and it looks pretty good with no rust even from the underside. And it rarely ever gets a good cleaning and I have never washed or rinsed it from underneath. I also have a 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser that I never drive in the snow or rain and constantly have to keep an eye for known frame and underside rust issues.

Majortom

Reaction score
There's a reason all of us are out on truck forums, versus being out on a "love your spouse" forum ;)

My wife has owned a BMW and now and Audi. Great cars until something goes wrong, and something always goes wrong eventually in every car. She throws out how much we paid and I just agree - mostly because I never wanted to own one of those in the first place. Vehicles **** the bed. It's just a part of life.

Glad to hear that they are taking care of you so far. Hearing your story reminded me of Apollo 12, when they were hurtling towards outer space and all of the lights and alarms starting going haywire. Luckily all they had to do was reboot the computer. You're getting a brand new engine. Worse things can happen!
“SCE to AUX”!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before I left the dealership last NOV, we started seeing a few broken valve springs as well causing total failure. It's when you catch it before total failure happens that is nice! .. They still borrow my borescope camera all the time (I still live a couple blocks away from the dealership).

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's not entirely true. Some cars or trucks are just more prone to rusting depending on the quality of the metals used and the preventive treatments applied by the manufacturer during build. Yes you can help by taking your own preventive measures, but as an example, I have a 2015 Ram with 180k miles on it that gets driven daily in the northeast and it looks pretty good with no rust even from the underside. And it rarely ever gets a good cleaning and I have never washed or rinsed it from underneath. I also have a 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser that I never drive in the snow or rain and constantly have to keep an eye for known frame and underside rust issues.
Yes some vehicles are more prone to rust, but care is still more important. I'm in Michigan, and most Rams have rusted rear wheel wells at 5 or 6 years, when not maintained. I still see them at 10 or 12 years old rust free, when taken care of.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 2020 1500 Laramie Night Edition, I LOVE IT, like more than anyone should love their car, maybe even more than my husband....ANYWHO

Yesterday, I am minding my beeswax, driving East on I 80 towards Sacramento in rush hours at a steady 85 MPH, when suddenly, I got an error on my dash about the stop/start not being engaged (something like that), everything happened so quickly, next I get a "service electric throttle warning", check engine light and then it take a S**t and dies. I narrowly avoided getting killed as I idled across 5 lanes of traffic trying to get to the hard shoulder with no acceleration. It starts trying to put itself into park (while I am still in motion) then the parking break turned on (I was already stopped at this point). The engine wouldn't turn over, and just rattled like nothing I have ever heard, it smelled like burning gas, and then coolant. Got her towed to the nearest RAM dealership.........

They just called me, total engine replacement.....One issue is it is backfiring...or something, but they said it was one of many issues, and in a nut shell it the engine replacement was the resolution...

Now riddle me this, how is a $70k truck with less than 50k miles on it need a new engine, its not even 3 years old....I have NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT TILL NOW.....

It is still under the limited Powertrain warranty but I am so reluctant to believe they are going to honor that, I have requested a loaner and I want to seek reimbursement for what I am having to pay for this truck while it is undrivable. I have zero experience with RAM and their warranties, but I have heard hellish ones about Chrysler and Dodge......

Has anyone had experience with this/these issues, or using the limited powertrain warranty on an engine replacement....?

I am literally at a loss for words, and I am one quite unhappy customer.....
Hello,

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. We'd love to hear more about how we can assist. Would you mind sending us a direct message so we can look into this together?

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread