5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welshlass86

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 2020 1500 Laramie Night Edition, I LOVE IT, like more than anyone should love their car, maybe even more than my husband....ANYWHO

Yesterday, I am minding my beeswax, driving East on I 80 towards Sacramento in rush hours at a steady 85 MPH, when suddenly, I got an error on my dash about the stop/start not being engaged (something like that), everything happened so quickly, next I get a "service electric throttle warning", check engine light and then it take a S**t and dies. I narrowly avoided getting killed as I idled across 5 lanes of traffic trying to get to the hard shoulder with no acceleration. It starts trying to put itself into park (while I am still in motion) then the parking break turned on (I was already stopped at this point). The engine wouldn't turn over, and just rattled like nothing I have ever heard, it smelled like burning gas, and then coolant. Got her towed to the nearest RAM dealership.........

They just called me, total engine replacement.....One issue is it is backfiring...or something, but they said it was one of many issues, and in a nut shell it the engine replacement was the resolution...

Now riddle me this, how is a $70k truck with less than 50k miles on it need a new engine, its not even 3 years old....I have NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT TILL NOW.....

It is still under the limited Powertrain warranty but I am so reluctant to believe they are going to honor that, I have requested a loaner and I want to seek reimbursement for what I am having to pay for this truck while it is undrivable. I have zero experience with RAM and their warranties, but I have heard hellish ones about Chrysler and Dodge......

Has anyone had experience with this/these issues, or using the limited powertrain warranty on an engine replacement....?

I am literally at a loss for words, and I am one quite unhappy customer.....

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unfortunately manufacturing defects still happen. You can deal with it in two ways: "this truck is a POS" and sell it, or, get a brand new engine and add 3 years/50k miles back onto the life of your truck and carry on.

I'd take the latter!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like how people will quote the price of the vehicle as if it has anything to do with whether or not you will have issues.

If you like the truck that much, get the engine replaced, as long as you didn't have any modifications to engine itself, it should be covered no issues under power train warranty. The replacement engine will have its own warranty separate from what you may have left on factory warranty.

Welshlass86

Reaction score
I like how people will quote the price of the vehicle as if it has anything to do with whether or not you will have issues.

If you like the truck that much, get the engine replaced, as long as you didn't have any modifications to engine itself, it should be covered no issues under power train warranty. The replacement engine will have its own warranty separate from what you may have left on factory warranty.
I just have it in my head that if you pay a lot of money for something you expect it to be of good quality, and last longer than 3 years....I am allowed to be frustrated by the situation!

I understand that issues can arise, and I can't say I have had any other issues. However, I have friends that have 2020s and have had NOTHING but problem with them. Mainly electrical though. I am wondering if I should just get the engine replaced and trade it for a new one. Will the record of it needing and getting an engine replacement reduce its value (to me I feel it would increase in value since its got a whole new engine).

Welshlass86

Reaction score
Unfortunately manufacturing defects still happen. You can deal with it in two ways: "this truck is a POS" and sell it, or, get a brand new engine and add 3 years/50k miles back onto the life of your truck and carry on.

I'd take the latter!
That is what I am debating...I don't want to abandon the brand. I love the truck, and this is the only problem I have had other than a few minor things....However, a new one would be nice, and was kind of in the plan......I was considering moving to GMC and getting a Denali but again, I just like the RAMs, I don't want this to ruin it. I have been looking at data for this kind of issue and it really doesn't happen a whole lot, considering how many RAMs have been sold in the last 30 years.

BowDown

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 2020 1500 Laramie Night Edition, I LOVE IT, like more than anyone should love their car, maybe even more than my husband....ANYWHO

Yesterday, I am minding my beeswax, driving East on I 80 towards Sacramento in rush hours at a steady 85 MPH, when suddenly, I got an error on my dash about the stop/start not being engaged (something like that), everything happened so quickly, next I get a "service electric throttle warning", check engine light and then it take a S**t and dies. I narrowly avoided getting killed as I idled across 5 lanes of traffic trying to get to the hard shoulder with no acceleration. It starts trying to put itself into park (while I am still in motion) then the parking break turned on (I was already stopped at this point). The engine wouldn't turn over, and just rattled like nothing I have ever heard, it smelled like burning gas, and then coolant. Got her towed to the nearest RAM dealership.........

They just called me, total engine replacement.....One issue is it is backfiring...or something, but they said it was one of many issues, and in a nut shell it the engine replacement was the resolution...

Now riddle me this, how is a $70k truck with less than 50k miles on it need a new engine, its not even 3 years old....I have NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT TILL NOW.....

It is still under the limited Powertrain warranty but I am so reluctant to believe they are going to honor that, I have requested a loaner and I want to seek reimbursement for what I am having to pay for this truck while it is undrivable. I have zero experience with RAM and their warranties, but I have heard hellish ones about Chrysler and Dodge......

Has anyone had experience with this/these issues, or using the limited powertrain warranty on an engine replacement....?

The amount of the vehicle is irrelevant, If it was a $500 Yugo, I'd be equally as upset.

Now, to your problem, the backfiring suggest a valve spring broke and a valve dropped and the debris traveled back into the intake and trashed the other cylinders.
Things happen, 50k is low mileage for that to happen but it happens, you have a warranty so no bigge, let them put in a new engine and keep on trucking. Now, you may say that "its no big deal to you because its not yours" I have a built LSX at Horse Power Research right now that lived for 8K miles before a error on a cam change caused a spun bearing and the shop isn't standing behind.
I'm spending $10K out of pocket to fix an engine that cost me $20K and if this happens to my truck, I'll get mad then shrug it off because I have the basic 7/75 and the Ziegler 7 year unlimited mileage Max Care warranty

BowDown

Reaction score
I just have it in my head that if you pay a lot of money for something you expect it to be of good quality, and last longer than 3 years....I am allowed to be frustrated by the situation!

I understand that issues can arise, and I can't say I have had any other issues. However, I have friends that have 2020s and have had NOTHING but problem with them. Mainly electrical though. I am wondering if I should just get the engine replaced and trade it for a new one. Will the record of it needing and getting an engine replacement reduce its value (to me I feel it would increase in value since its got a whole new engine).

It should but I expect a 10k cars engine to last as long as a 100K cars engine

Welshlass86

Reaction score
The amount of the vehicle is irrelevant, If it was a $500 Yugo, I'd be equally as upset.

Now, to your problem, the backfiring suggest a valve spring broke and a valve dropped and the debris traveled back into the intake and trashed the other cylinders.
Things happen, 50k is low mileage for that to happen but it happens, you have a warranty so no bigge, let them put in a new engine and keep on trucking. Now, you may say that "its no big deal to you because its not yours" I have a built LSX at Horse Power Research right now that lived for 8K miles before a error on a cam change caused a spun bearing and the shop isn't standing behind.
I'm spending $10K out of pocket to fix an engine that cost me $20K and if this happens to my truck, I'll get mad then shrug it off because I have the basic 7/75 and the Ziegler 7 year unlimited mileage Max Care warranty
Fair enough, I get what you're saying I am just frustrated.

I am sorry about your situation..ugh

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Trade it in for a new one, and are just as likely to get one like your friends that has issuesz or will blow an engine again. You say yours has been relatively problem free. That speaks a lot. Get the new engine put in and continue to enjoy it. Not sure what your previous oil change interval was, but I wouldn't go any farther than 7500 miles between oil changes. I don't care what the owners manual says, or oil manufacturers says 10k+ is a lot of miles on the oil in an extreme environment.

BowDown

Reaction score
Fair enough, I get what you're saying I am just frustrated.

I am sorry about your situation..ugh

Trust me, I understand your frustration and the younger me would be spitting nails but that gets me no where. S happens and I've since learned that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond

Welshlass86

Reaction score
Trade it in for a new one, and are just as likely to get one like your friends that has issuesz or will blow an engine again. You say yours has been relatively problem free. That speaks a lot. Get the new engine put in and continue to enjoy it. Not sure what your previous oil change interval was, but I wouldn't go any farther than 7500 miles between oil changes. I don't care what the owners manual says, or oil manufacturers says 10k+ is a lot of miles on the oil in an extreme environment.
I had the oil (synthetic) changed in august, we drove it from Alabama to Cali, and recently from Cali to Denver and back, so it is probably right at the 7500 mi mark, I don't drive it every day the rest of the time so 3k around about town etc, is probably about right in addition to the long trips. I'll definitely stay on top of that. I usually do it every 3k regardless, but moving etc. got me distracted.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Have a friend with a C7 Vette that has spent well over 100K out of pocket fixing blown engines caused by other people who would t stand behind their work. And he just recently blew the engine again doing the Texas Mile event. This one may have been caused by part fatigue as they are the same rods he has had in the engine the previous three rebuilds. And he's making well over 1000rwhp

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

sorry to hear this
maybe the new engine will perform better.

if it is made by a human it can fail.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had the oil (synthetic) changed in august, we drove it from Alabama to Cali, and recently from Cali to Denver and back, so it is probably right at the 7500 mi mark, I don't drive it every day the rest of the time so 3k around about town etc, is probably about right in addition to the long trips. I'll definitely stay on top of that. I usually do it every 3k regardless, but moving etc. got me distracted.
If you were changing at 3k miles, or about that, I wouldnt think it would be an oil issue. Even with 7000 miles on current change. It's the people who wait until the oil change indicator light comes on before changing that scare me

BowDown

Reaction score

I'm betting its not the oil change. Ask the service writer for pics and an explanation of what happened, I bet you it was a valve spring.
My 2003 Ram 5.7 broke a valve spring at an old 275K miles. It behaved exactly as you describe however the spring broke in a way that the valve didn't drop into the cylinder. The back firing did blow the intake in half and set off a series of codes that you describe.

2016x980 (3).jpeg

48f4876435f540b4bb8803ff5c391125.jpeg

3f60989b5c8a4d109c02abec7ef5504f.jpeg

Those simple little springs can eff up your day. I bet you simply had a bad one

BowDown

Reaction score
Have a friend with a C7 Vette that has spent well over 100K out of pocket fixing blown engines caused by other people who would t stand behind their work. And he just recently blew the engine again doing the Texas Mile event. This one may have been caused by part fatigue as they are the same rods he has had in the engine the previous three rebuilds. And he's making well over 1000rwhp

I dont mess with the Texas mile for that very reason. 1000 hp (boost cars) cars cost a lot when they break. High HP N/A engines will too if you're not listening, I was and didnt tear up too much stuff
339575364_1414605499311972_6651694559265863301_n.jpg

340580655_3501630070069819_253216348452429017_n.jpg

340600004_6299092480159715_5478635235351173645_n.jpg

Turn the crank, new rod and rebuild but its still costing me $$$$$ but luckily I caught it early

BowDown

Reaction score
The problem with the modern HEMI and LSX/LTX too for that matter is the small OD valve spring. These engines are so compact that there's not enough seat area to use a larger spring so they use a stronger spring that's more prone to fatigue. A larger OD spring in a bigger seat would be a much better choice but you'd have a much larger cylinder head

A-TEAM

Reaction score
V6 or hemi? 7500k miles is way too much on a hemi oil change. Mine starts running like **** after 3500k on good oil and my catch can is filled up. I can’t imagine goi g double that.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
like others have said...ANYTHING mechanical can detonate. If I were you...I would be thanking the good lord sweet baby Jesus, that it happened in warranty...and the company is honoring it. Go on a BMW forum, and you'll see $130,000 vehicles falling apart left & right...good luck..

Dewey

Reaction score
V6 or hemi? 7500k miles is way too much on a hemi oil change. Mine starts running like **** after 3500k on good oil and my catch can is filled up. I can’t imagine goi g double that.
Every situation is different. Depends on your driving habits. Been changing the oil at 10,000 mile intervals according to the Oil Life Monitor on my last 3 Hemi’s for the last 10 years and 250,000 miles with ZERO issues. Motors sound just as good at 100,000 miles as they do when new. Probably 90% highway and 10% city miles so that likely helps. I feel like I’m wasting good synthetic oil changing earlier than that.

Sounds like this was a catastrophic failure of a motor part. It happens and doubt oil had anything at all to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/