5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you get a brand new engine for free under warranty I’d say that’s not a bad deal, just sux. It’s like resetting the odometer to 0 (at least for the engine) after 3 years. I’ve seen $10k and $100k vehicle premature engine failures. It happens.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
V6 or hemi? 7500k miles is way too much on a hemi oil change. Mine starts running like **** after 3500k on good oil and my catch can is filled up. I can’t imagine goi g double that.
I agree.
7500k miles is too much for a hemi no matter how many oil changes. I'm also shocked that your catch can only filled up once for 3500k miles.

7,500 miles for an oil change is normal. Could probably do 10k depending on the engine wear and oil but would only know by sending out the used oil to be checked out.

My catch can doesn't have much in it, but it's a big can. You likely just have a super small can. I have no idea how much mine could really hold but it's more then an oil change at 8k miles even on a GDI engine which collects WAY more crap then a Hemi does.

If your truck runs like crap after 3500 miles on "good oil" you got serious problems. Do you measure how much oil you remove? Are you using the proper weight and full syn oil?

St-na

Reaction score
100% agree with this guy.
I was always changing the oil every 10k on my HEMI's and I personally seen some trucks with 350k miles and their owners did the same.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
V6 or hemi? 7500k miles is way too much on a hemi oil change. Mine starts running like **** after 3500k on good oil and my catch can is filled up. I can’t imagine goi g double that.
If your engine sounds like **** after 3500k it makes sense. That's a whole lot of miles on one change. It if you only meant 3500 miles, you might want to start using better oil.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Not really, depends upon a lot of variables. How long were the trips in that mileage, what climate (hot or cold), dusty environment or not, how humid is the environment, how many WOT accelerations were on that oil change?

You could drive 10,000+ miles letting the engine get and maintain heat and only part throttle driving and have the oil still function like fresh oil. The oil filter is actually more critical than the oil itself, nothing special about the HEMI

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
100% agree with this guy.
I was always changing the oil every 10k on my HEMI's and I personally seen some trucks with 350k miles and their owners did the same.

I have had some 10K changes but I try to stay between 5k and 7K miles. My previous truck had 279K miles on it when I sold it and ran silky smooth, I changed that oil about every 7500-12K miles

St-na

Reaction score
About 6 Years ago I met one guy, who purchased used Laramie with 120k miles (4th gen) and shortly after he had to replace the engine. Was around $5000 replacement at that time. Engine was replaced professionally by dealer and owner was very happy and had no any plans to sale his truck. I believe he had around 36k miles warranty on the new engine.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 2020 1500 Laramie Night Edition, I LOVE IT, like more than anyone should love their car, maybe even more than my husband....ANYWHO

Yesterday, I am minding my beeswax, driving East on I 80 towards Sacramento in rush hours at a steady 85 MPH, when suddenly, I got an error on my dash about the stop/start not being engaged (something like that), everything happened so quickly, next I get a "service electric throttle warning", check engine light and then it take a S**t and dies. I narrowly avoided getting killed as I idled across 5 lanes of traffic trying to get to the hard shoulder with no acceleration. It starts trying to put itself into park (while I am still in motion) then the parking break turned on (I was already stopped at this point). The engine wouldn't turn over, and just rattled like nothing I have ever heard, it smelled like burning gas, and then coolant. Got her towed to the nearest RAM dealership.........

They just called me, total engine replacement.....One issue is it is backfiring...or something, but they said it was one of many issues, and in a nut shell it the engine replacement was the resolution...

Now riddle me this, how is a $70k truck with less than 50k miles on it need a new engine, its not even 3 years old....I have NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT TILL NOW.....

It is still under the limited Powertrain warranty but I am so reluctant to believe they are going to honor that, I have requested a loaner and I want to seek reimbursement for what I am having to pay for this truck while it is undrivable. I have zero experience with RAM and their warranties, but I have heard hellish ones about Chrysler and Dodge......

Has anyone had experience with this/these issues, or using the limited powertrain warranty on an engine replacement....?

I am literally at a loss for words, and I am one quite unhappy customer.....
If it’s any small consolation, a good friend of mine had his F-150 (2.7L EcoBoost) fail catastrophically at 56K. It took Ford more than 10 months under warranty to get it replaced (while he was making payments and insurance). He wasn’t given another vehicle in the interim. Ultimately, he succeeded in getting the payments covered (not insurance, though) for the lost time.

He just got it back, drove it from Michigan to Alabama, and it failed again once he got there, stranding him and his wife. A local dealership was able to patch it up this time, and Ford gave him a 3/36 extended powertrain warranty at this point, so he’s driven it back to Michigan.

He hasn’t decided whether to get rid of it…which tells me he’s blessed with infinitely more patience than me!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it’s any small consolation, a good friend of mine had his F-150 (2.7L EcoBoost) fail catastrophically at 56K. It took Ford more than 10 months under warranty to get it replaced (while he was making payments and insurance). He wasn’t given another vehicle in the interim. Ultimately, he succeeded in getting the payments covered (not insurance, though) for the lost time.

He just got it back, drove it from Michigan to Alabama, and it failed again once he got there, stranding him and his wife. A local dealership was able to patch it up this time, and Ford gave him a 3/36 extended powertrain warranty at this point, so he’s driven it back to Michigan.

He hasn’t decided whether to get rid of it…which tells me he’s blessed with infinitely more patience than me!
If your vehicle is down for that long at dealership, can always work with finance company and insurance and get insurance dropped to storage insurance. It's significantly lower than full coverage. Have done that s few times with my vehicles while i was active duty and on deployments.

BTB123

Reaction score
Lame. Sorry this happened. If it was me I would unload it. Only for the reason that it would be in my head all the time.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I meant 3500, not 3500k lol. Sorry it was a late post. It still tuns fine but I notice fuel milage and performance going down. Fresh full syn and it goes back up. Trucks are expensive, oil isnt, so 3-4k is all I go before dumping it and its dark when I do.

St-na

Reaction score

It's took for the RaM dealer to replace HEMI engine in less than a week. Loaner was provided.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's took for the RaM dealer to replace HEMI engine in less than a week. Loaner was provided.
It will take 2-5 days to get the engine if it has to come from the supplier, another 2-3 days installed.

Welshlass86

Reaction score
It is a Hemi. I haven't had the oil change warning come on so it likely hasn't been 7500 mi. Sticker on my windshield says next change is at 51,000, i am within 2k of that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The issue, is more how long will that warranty claim take....
Either it's approved or not.
A couple days or so, depending on if the dealership is trying to **** you around or not.

Typically they will need to send a report and some pictures and maybe respond back to Ram if it's approved\denied or need more info.

When they called to tell you it needed a "total engine replacement" they should of already checked and submitted the paperwork to Ram.
What did they tell you when they called? Wait and we will get back to you? Or what do you want to do?

Welshlass86

Reaction score
They said they will call me today with more updates, they were getting the claim in yesterday, but it was later in the day so doubt any headway will be made on that until today at the earliest. I was a little worried about the warranty last night after reading if you transport the vehicle outside of the US, it invalidates the warranty. This truck was purchased in VA, shipped to Germany then it was shipped back from Germany with us last summer (hubby is active duty). Thankfully I pulled the warranty and it does say "Vehicles registered to United States government officials or military personnel on assignment outside of the US will continue to be covered" - in regards to if it is taken overseas, so the warranty was never out of warranty....phew

Welshlass86

Reaction score
Either it's approved or not.
A couple days or so, depending on if the dealership is trying to **** you around or not.

Typically they will need to send a report and some pictures and maybe respond back to Ram if it's approved\denied or need more info.

When they called to tell you it needed a "total engine replacement" they should of already checked and submitted the paperwork to Ram.
What did they tell you when they called? Wait and we will get back to you? Or what do you want to do?
They said, because of the issues it would require a total replacement of the engine, I asked them would the powertrain cover it, and he said yes it should, I asked for a loaner, and he said he would have more information tomorrow (today), and will call me at some point with next steps.....

Users who are viewing this thread