5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top Glove Box Light Stays On

RB_2019 RAM

Reaction score
I picked up my truck from the dealership and they told me they adjusted the upper glove box door. I drove the truck back from the dealership and the light did not come on. I noticed this time that the light will turn off when the door is open about 1/2" before fully closing. Before it would turn off with the door open less than 1/8" before fully closing. I think this adjustment has fixed the problem. Now, even if the door moves up slightly, the light will not come on. I need to drive the truck some more to ensure it will not come on again, but I think it is fixed.

RB_2019 RAM

Reaction score
Something else I wanted to add was this time when I took the truck back to the dealership, I met with a service technician to explain the problem with the light coming on in the upper glove box and to show him exactly what it was doing. When I tapped below the upper glove box door, the door moved up slightly and the light came on. The service technician said he had seen this before and the door needed to be adjusted. I am not sure if this helped to get the problem resolved this time, but at least they could see the problem first hand.

Wizard442

Reaction score
I noticed the glove box light on the other night in my 2019 Limited. After messing with it found no switch. I also found the brightness of the light was controlled by the ambient light thumb control. Ask dealer and was told part of ambient lighting. So I have learned just to ignore. Thanks to all . . . good information!

19longthorn

Reaction score
After the local stealership told me they adjusted my upper glove box, I pulled away a happy camper. After 2 blocks the light comes back on. I finally reached out to a friend with alldata access to find disassembly instructions because the stealership would not provide any. I found that the micro switch that was used does not fully engage due to the design/parts used. After adding a couple small ties to push it forward, it works great! Last major issue to fix is poor fuel economy! My last straw may be to take the loss and go back to gm...

Attachments

• 20191219_164800.jpg
    20191219_164800.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 20191219_165644.jpg
    20191219_165644.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 179

GrapeApe

Reaction score
Same issue here - 2019 RAM 1500 Sport - 5th Gen. SO frustrating. Was hoping I could fix myself to avoid dealing with the dealership.

fxdrider

Reaction score
3 days into owning my new-to-me Pre-owned 2019 Bighorn Sport, and I noticed the light in my upper glovebox is also "always on" when I'm driving. It became particularly concerning when I shut off the engine, exited the vehicle, locked the doors, and waited for all the lights to shut off - glovebox light was still on! When I went back to the truck several minutes (maybe 5?) later, it had gone off. I'm thinking the battery saver timed out and shut it off. I guess I'll be bringing in for service...

ClancyO

Reaction score
After the local stealership told me they adjusted my upper glove box, I pulled away a happy camper. After 2 blocks the light comes back on. I finally reached out to a friend with alldata access to find disassembly instructions because the stealership would not provide any. I found that the micro switch that was used does not fully engage due to the design/parts used. After adding a couple small ties to push it forward, it works great! Last major issue to fix is poor fuel economy! My last straw may be to take the loss and go back to gm...

I always assumed it was ambient lighting too, but this disproves that! Any hints in disassembling the door?

fxdrider

Reaction score
I fixed it myself this morning. I was inspired by what 19longthorn did in his previous post.

IMG_3193.JPEG
Took the right side dash vent out. Pryed loose fairly easy with just my fingers.

IMG_3194 (2)_LI.jpg
There's the switch, circled, on the right side of upper glovebox in the rear.

IMG_3195_LI.jpg The switch has two round tabs - one on the bottom and the other on the top (a bit difficult to see here). The tabs are designed to each sit in their own bracket. Here the bottom tab is in place but the top one has been pushed out of its bracket and to the rear by the actuating lever on the glovebox lid. The brackets aren't strong enough to hold the switch body in place. But never fear...zip-tie to the rescue!

IMG_3198.JPEG
Now the white fuzz-covered actuating lever can push against the switch without the the switch body being pushed away. This allows the light to turn off when the glovebox lid is closed.

IMG_3199.JPEG
Just replace the vent unit, and good as new!

kdawg

Reaction score
I fixed it myself this morning. I was inspired by what 19longthorn did in his previous post.

View attachment 72552
Took the right side dash vent out. Pryed loose fairly easy with just my fingers.

View attachment 72553

View attachment 72559 The switch has two round tabs - one on the bottom and the other on the top (a bit difficult to see here). The tabs are designed to each sit in their own bracket. Here the bottom tab is in place but the top one has been pushed out of its bracket and to the rear by the actuating lever on the glovebox lid. The brackets aren't strong enough to hold the switch body in place. But never fear...zip-tie to the rescue!

View attachment 72557
Now the white fuzz-covered actuating lever can push against the switch without the the switch body being pushed away. This allows the light to turn off when the glovebox lid is closed.

View attachment 72558

Thank you for this post. I was having the same issue in my 2022 Laramie. My adapter looks a little different and I wasn't able to get a zip tie to stay still, but just pressing it back into place seemed to help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220520_162402.jpg
    IMG_20220520_162402.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 30

1lowcab

Reaction score

View attachment 72552

View attachment 72553

View attachment 72559 The switch has two round tabs - one on the bottom and the other on the top (a bit difficult to see here). The tabs are designed to each sit in their own bracket. Here the bottom tab is in place but the top one has been pushed out of its bracket and to the rear by the actuating lever on the glovebox lid. The brackets aren't strong enough to hold the switch body in place. But never fear...zip-tie to the rescue!

View attachment 72557

View attachment 72558

Awesome, thanks for the pics!! Mine has drove me crazy and have been wanting to fix it.

kchurley8591

Reaction score

View attachment 72552

View attachment 72553

View attachment 72557

View attachment 72558

So ironically mine is kinda doing the opposite. It will turn the light on but it's sporadic. Sometimes it will turn on the second the glovebox is 1/4" open to fully open. Other times it will literally turn on if I just leave the door open and 10 seconds later the light will turn on without the truck moving, running, or any interaction from me at all.

Turning off works completely fine. Any ideas?

2023 TRX Lunar Edition

Users who are viewing this thread