5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top Glove Box Light Stays On

Mikeleckner

Reaction score
I just picked up my 19 ram Laramie today around noon, now that it is dark I noticed the top glove box LED is on and it won't shut off, I can see it through the 1/4" gap on the bottom. Super annoying. Am I missing something here, or has anyone else had this happen?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I believe systems like this use a pressure switch so when the door closes it makes contact and therefore turns the light off. Could be as simple as the switch being misaligned, orrrrr as difficult as the computer not wanting to do what it’s told....

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine stays on too. I believe it suppose to be on at night with all the other inside the cabin floor and door lights. You can turn these off with the scroll switch on the left of the steering wheel.

Mikeleckner

Reaction score
Mine stays on too. I believe it suppose to be on at night with all the other inside the cabin floor and door lights. You can turn these off with the scroll switch on the left of the steering wheel.
I will try that out this evening and see if that does anything.

Mikeleckner

Reaction score
The scroll switch does not effect the glove box light. Wonder if I should take it in and compare to other trucks on the lot?

Dietz5285

Reaction score
Is there a switch that you could push in to see if it works?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up my 19 ram Laramie today around noon, now that it is dark I noticed the top glove box LED is on and it won't shut off, I can see it through the 1/4" gap on the bottom. Super annoying. Am I missing something here, or has anyone else had this happen?
That would bother me too... I like the night time cabin to be dark, minimizing interior visual distractions so I can see outside where the driver’s focus needs to be. I will be interested to hear what you find out regarding whether it is “normal” (if undesirable) and whether it can be turned off, adjusted in UConnect, or set to react to a pressure switch.

Rayzram

Reaction score
Mine does not stay on regardless of headlights on, doors open, etc. It seems to be a stand-alone light that functions only by opening and closing the door. I cannot shut mine off by turning off interior lights, but having said that mine is not stuck on either. I can turn the scroll switch and shut off all interior lights, open-top compartment and light come on, shut the door and goes off.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does not stay on regardless of headlights on, doors open, etc. It seems to be a stand-alone light that functions only by opening and closing the door. I cannot shut mine off by turning off interior lights, but having said that mine is not stuck on either. I can turn the scroll switch and shut off all interior lights, open-top compartment and light come on, shut the door and goes off.
Any idea where the switch is on the upper door?

Mikeleckner

Reaction score
Any idea where the switch is on the upper door?
The switch is in an inaccessible spot that you can't see or reach. That was the first thing I tried. After hearing that rayzrams light doesn't stay on then I'm definitely taking this bad boy in to get fixed. It's super annoying when that light is shining bright on a BRAND NEW vehicle.

Agitated

Reaction score
It is definitely part of the ambient lighting and cannot be turned off separately. It also has nothing to do with the upper “glove box” door being open or shut. There is no contact switch to turn it off or on. It is just like the ambient lighting on the doors and footwells. I like it. Sorry you dont but the only way to disable it is to disco that specific light.

Mikeleckner

Reaction score
It is definitely part of the ambient lighting and cannot be turned off separately. It also has nothing to do with the upper “glove box” door being open or shut. There is no contact switch to turn it off or on. It is just like the ambient lighting on the doors and footwells. I like it. Sorry you dont but the only way to disable it is to disco that specific light.

I am still going to look into it a little further since there are a few people that say theirs goes off. Worst case I will put a small piece of electrical tape over it instead of disconnect.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Im starting to think some people on this thread are getting confused with the problem, the light on the INSIDE of the glove box should absolutely turn off. I took a look at mine last night and just about half an inch before the upper glove box is closed the light turns off. The light turning on and off should in no way be affected by your interior light settings. As for the ambient lighting above the glove box door that is normally on and can be controlled with the roller switch to the left of the steering wheel.

Mikeleckner

Reaction score
Im starting to think some people on this thread are getting confused with the problem, the light on the INSIDE of the glove box should absolutely turn off. I took a look at mine last night and just about half an inch before the upper glove box is closed the light turns off. The light turning on and off should in no way be affected by your interior light settings. As for the ambient lighting above the glove box door that is normally on and can be controlled with the roller switch to the left of the steering wheel.
Thank you. I felt like this was the case. Does your upper glove box also have a 1/4" gap on the bottom when closed? I just feel like the box was assembled wrong and for some reason it bothers me because I love everything else they did with the truck.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
No mine lines up perfectly, the gap would explain why the switch might not be making contact. Have any pictures?

Mikeleckner

Reaction score
No mine lines up perfectly, the gap would explain why the switch might not be making contact. Have any pictures?
One of these I had the ambient lights on. It doesn't matter the scenario, the light stays on. Even when I force the cover to seat where it should.

Attachments

• 20180820_211649[1].jpg
    20180820_211649[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 288
  • 20180820_211701[1].jpg
    20180820_211701[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 272
  • 20180820_211818[1].jpg
    20180820_211818[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 263
  • 20180820_211840[1].jpg
    20180820_211840[1].jpg