5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks and sorry you are going through this same situation. I may just have to start a specific thread for the Diamondback. Would prefer a Renegade cover, but it's a no go with Ramboxes...and that doesn't even consider the black vs silver rail situation. Hard to imagine why all these trucks didn't ship with the same rails and make the stock Mopar folding cover work with say....the silver rails. Then they only need to make silver rails and customers would be in this situation for upgrades.

Another future upgrade, tailgate LED light bar (Putco blade) I'm looking to put on...similar situation. According to the threads, I'll likely have to put in some spacers to compensate for a non-flush mounting surface. Not just buy the item and put it on. I guess that's part of taking some pride in making it all come together, but still.
That's a pretty common problem with light bars on lots of trucks. Was the same problem on my 18 Silverado. You have some decent cheap options for that though.

barbarossa

Reaction score
What year truck and build do you have? there's different things to be done depending on what exactly you have.
In general dremels type devices do work really well for cutting through metal.
My fault, just saw this for some reason. It's a '21 Limited with MFT. I did the dremel route and while I got close to getting it flush it's not perfect, but it's better than it was. No water leaking in either, so I guess I did something right maybe.

Kooch80

Reaction score
I’m sure I could find it somewhere in the 42 pages but anyone successfully install a Bak Revolver X4S with MFT and no ram boxes. I imagine the right on brackets are needed. Any other modifications?
I did. you have to cut the rails to make it fit. i had no issues with it after cutting rails. i did use the right on brackets

Deekum1627

Reaction score
Successfully installed the Bak Revolver X4s hard rolling tonneau using the right on brackets and some modification. The recessed bolts were not necessary, which is good because the ones I had ordered were way too short.

Note on the right on bracket, the cutout for the painted bolt and washer is snug fitting, if you tighten the bolts behind the cab first it should line up, then tighten the bedside bolts.

Now the good stuff. In order to make this cover fit as intended I made two cuts to the rails to fit around the right on brackets so the rails would be snug to the bedsides. Here’s a before-ish shot (had started the cut):
View attachment 86505
I cut the part of the rail that goes against the bedside about 4/5 ribs down and 10” from the cab end to notch around the bracket. I also cut off the silver tab by the spring that goes against the cab side. This tab sets the depth and would have pushed the cover too far towards the tailgate due to the thickness of the right on bracket. After shot:
View attachment 86506
Here you can see how this fits around the right on bracket now:
View attachment 86511
This part may not have been necessary since I later moved the cover slightly towards the tailgate to snug the seal up against the tailgate. The springs were rubbing against the bolt in the right on bracket as seen here:
View attachment 86507
To fix this I relocated the upper end of the spring towards the tailgate. A recessed bolt would also work. On the driver’s side I moved the spring into the end of the slot for the cover bolts.
View attachment 86509
On the passenger side I drilled a new hole about a half inch over.
View attachment 86510
Bak provides a thicker and thinner strip of foam to seal along the cab side of the bed. You’ll use the thicker one, but in my case there was a little bit of a gap between the side rail and the gasket. Hard to see but there is a little bit of light under my finger:
View attachment 86513
I used some of the thinner gasket attached to the bottom of the rail to fill this in.
View attachment 86514
View attachment 86515
At this point the cover can be installed as normal. Here’s a shot of everything bolted up. I attached the strap clamp on the right on bracket to get it in a better spot. Took some convincing to get it tight on the smooth metal but it’s secure enough for the strap.
View attachment 86516

Too many attachments, will follow up with final pics.

Couple of notes.
- You will have to guesstimate on how far forward/back to install the rails since the tab that goes against the cab end was removed. As mentioned I ended up having to shift it towards the tailgated once I had the cover on. Just make sure both sides are at the same distance front/back so things square up.
- The rail ends were uneven at the tailgate for me. One side was a bit high leaving a gap and the other too low causing the tailgate to hit it. With the rails bolted on a few good pushes in the right direction flexed the bed side enough to line things up nicely.
awesome thank so much for this write up. this is exactly what i wanna do. How is everything hold up over time??

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
I just installed the RetraxPro XR with the RightOn brackets. I used the 35 mm bolts for the front and 75 & 80 mm for the sides. Tightened up the bolts alternating side and front. Had no issues with hole alignment. Bought the Retraxpro from Home Depot because they gave the 10% military discount. I did the install alone but with my wife’s assistance when I had to install the rails on the canister. Went together better than I expected and the alignment was relatively easy.

Over the weekend I installed the window shades and bug and stone deflector. All Weathertech. Install was easy and straight forward. I do hear more wind noise after installing these.

Attachments

• AD568CA0-9B8B-4150-849C-0B4893CF7A87.jpeg
    AD568CA0-9B8B-4150-849C-0B4893CF7A87.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 90526CD5-601C-41FB-913E-7C08EB7081B3.jpeg
    90526CD5-601C-41FB-913E-7C08EB7081B3.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 70
  • B0333913-19DB-4C1C-BF9E-FDA0FB80A162.jpeg
    B0333913-19DB-4C1C-BF9E-FDA0FB80A162.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 67
  • A8960D70-B34B-46D3-81B6-6A963684CCA3.jpeg
    A8960D70-B34B-46D3-81B6-6A963684CCA3.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 6C324CC6-E218-4990-A2C0-74CBA00931E1.jpeg
    6C324CC6-E218-4990-A2C0-74CBA00931E1.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 77428B8A-BA86-472C-8FAC-3BFDC05F7D59.jpeg
    77428B8A-BA86-472C-8FAC-3BFDC05F7D59.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: c3k

zbaddwg

Reaction score
I just installed the RetraxPro XR with the RightOn brackets. I used the 35 mm bolts for the front and 75 & 80 mm for the sides. Tightened up the bolts alternating side and front. Had no issues with hole alignment. Bought the Retraxpro from Home Depot because they gave the 10% military discount. I did the install alone but with my wife’s assistance when I had to install the rails on the canister. Went together better than I expected and the alignment was relatively easy.

Over the weekend I installed the window shades and bug and stone deflector. All Weathertech. Install was easy and straight forward. I do hear more wind noise after installing these.
did you need to modify the RetraxPro XR to install with the righton brackets?

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
did you need to modify the RetraxPro XR to install with the righton brackets?
I did not. I used metric socket flat head screws, 35mm long in the front and 80 mm long on the sides with the exception of 1 hole per side that the 80 wouldn’t fit so I used 75 mm.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. Spending another $400 for the silver rails to work with other covers bumps up the overall price by about 40% just to put a cover on, so about $1,400 for a variety of covers. Then, there is the potential weather striping issue. Unless another option becomes available, I may just go ahead with the Diamondback...it's just a little more. Not a big fan that it is about a 3" rise over the bed though. Liked the sleek look of the flush covers.

Any feedback from Diamondback HD/SE owners with Rambox/MFTs?

I hemmed and hawed fora long time determining what cover I wanted to install on my truck. I have the MFT and 6'-4" bed but no ramboxes. I checked a local shop that sold other covers and none are warranted long enough for my tastes and I was concerned about fading in the Phoenix sun. I ordered the Diamondback HD and delivery is scheduled for early next week. I really like the idea of having a lifetime warranty. I'll repost after I get it installed.

zbaddwg

Reaction score
I did not. I used metric socket flat head screws, 35mm long in the front and 80 mm long on the sides with the exception of 1 hole per side that the 80 wouldn’t fit so I used 75 mm.
assuming the 75mm was around the RO bracket

zbaddwg

Reaction score
I did not. I used metric socket flat head screws, 35mm long in the front and 80 mm long on the sides, with the exception of 1 hole per side that the 80 wouldn’t fit so I used 75 mm.
Do you have pictures of the screw swap out? Was this a requirement your personal choice?

Azsmc

Reaction score
are there any known tonneau covers that work with the trucks that have the MFT without removing the braces? i reached out to Bak and they said the braces would have to be removed to install their product.
I ordered Bak flip MX4 Tonneau that is made specifically for the MFT tailgate. Sku# 448226 I am still waiting on delivery as they say its waiting on QC to finalize before shipping. The original MX4 that requires the Righton brackets is 448227 for the 5’7" tailgate without MFT or rambox’s. I assume the new version will work without removing the factory braces. It may be a couple more weeks before I get it. Ill repost when I do with pics. Just noticed that a few of the vendors are allowing orders with that option.

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
Do you have pictures of the screw swap out? Was this a requirement your personal choice?
I don’t have photos of the screw swap out. If you look up higher on this thread one member posted photos.

Lurts

Reaction score
I ordered Bak flip MX4 Tonneau that is made specifically for the MFT tailgate. Sku# 448226 I am still waiting on delivery as they say its waiting on QC to finalize before shipping. The original MX4 that requires the Righton brackets is 448227 for the 5’7" tailgate without MFT or rambox’s. I assume the new version will work without removing the factory braces. It may be a couple more weeks before I get it. Ill repost when I do with pics. Just noticed that a few of the vendors are allowing orders with that option.
I can’t wait to hear about your experience. Great news that they’ve finally made a cover compatible with MFT!

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Wow that is great news for those that need another option!

Update from me: been a year and it’s pretty good (Sentry CT). You lose some bed space for large items when rolled up. Tough for me because I use the bed a lot. Minimum water entry. I did notice one end is sticking up a few MM, I need to investigate why.

Fillet1

Reaction score
I have a retrax one coming to the house as well as some RO brackets - will report back on the install. Am I correct that I may need bolts for the bracket with”shorter” (thinner) heads for more clearance? Or can I countersink the holes on the bracket? (Or will it fit with the OEM bolts?)

Thumbs5th

Reaction score
"With flash savings this cover will come down to 1021.94+ tax and free shipping this will ship within 5-7 business days" On the 448226

Azsmc

Reaction score
"With flash savings this cover will come down to 1021.94+ tax and free shipping this will ship within 5-7 business days" On the 448226
Thats a pretty good price. When I ordered mine, it was $999.79 plus tax and free shipping. It has gone up to aprox $1110.88 now from Autoaccessoriesgarage.com. I think you have to call them to get a better price. Its back ordered, but should ship in a week or so. I’m anxious to see what they have done to make it work with the MFT and the original brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread