5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Rambunktious

Reaction score
Great pics of the install where the bracket goes in. Helps me for sure in deciding to try a similar type cover. I had Bakflip MX4 on my last Ram, going to try the X4 rollup on this one. I saw one other member on here put it on his truck with the MFT using the brackets. I did not like not being able to see out the back window when the MX4 was folded all the way up.
I'm considering the Bak Revolver X4 as well for my Longhorn with MFT. I like the ease of rollup and security of hardcover without blocking rear window when open. Unfortunately, truck still not delivered. If you get it installed, I'd like to hear your thoughts on fit and ease of installation with Right On Brackets. Thanks!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread has been really helpful. I'm considering a truck with the MFT. Is there a concensus of the best soft and hard tonneau covers to use with the new RightOn brackets?

SWFla1

Reaction score
I'm on my 6th Ram and have used Truxedo LoPro in the past but with my 2020 Laramie with MFT I went with the Truxport and in my opinion it's a big pile of crap. Doesn't seal correctly - I discussed this with Truxedo and asked why they would produce such an inferior product and got shrugged shoulders and crickets. No Truxedo ever again.

rightonbracket

Reaction score
Everyone I am aware who have installed Right On Brackets have had no issues with bed alignment. The Right On Brackets are stronger than OEM if you remove the cross-member on the OEM. Plus, the guys at Right On Brackets are very accessible, members in here, and answer questions pretty promptly on this forum. If you call them or email them, they are immediately responsive. If you run across any issues with their brackets and your tonneau, I am positive they will work with you to figure it out.

No, I am not a paid spokesman for Right On Bracket, nor do I get any benefit from promoting their product. Their product was the solution to my problem, that problem being the same problem you are experiencing now with your MFT and chosen tonneau.

Seriously, if you have questions... PM RightOnBracket in here. He will answer your question.

Thanks for the shoutout! If anyone has any questions, visit us here or each out to us directly!

dkcobbs

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Frustrated enough that I'm done for today but will go back at it tomorrow. Now that I have a plan of attack I will get it done! Greatly appreciate the help.
Not the easiest project I've done but it is possible to install the WeatherTech Alloy Tri-Fold Tonneau using the Right on Brackets per Skater instructions above. Now that it is done, I'm glad I went this route but you may expand your vocabulary before you are done with the install. Thanks for the advice and help - this forum has been very helpful.

BigBen

Reaction score
Got the Right on Brackets and Installed my Extang Xceed Cover this morning. Bracket holes weren't quite lined up as I hoped but it worked with some finesse. I had to set the rails a tiny bit back off the front bulkhead and the lower portion of the rails need to be notched (possibly) to allow middle screw on the side bulkheads to sit flush. In the pics you can see how I have it set. I left it for now but I'm thinking about putting a nut behind the washer so it can be tightened better. Overall not a perfect plug and play, but it works.

If anyone prefers a lower profile tonneau with the MFT, it is possible. As far as I know this cover is similar to the BAKFlip MX4 and Gator FX3 so if you're in the market for anything like that, get yourself the Right on Brackets and problem solved. Thanks to everyone for your contributions here. I read and re-read a lot of your posts. And thanks Pete at Right On. Was worried I wouldn't be able to get some brackets being here in Canada, but Pete made sure I got mine and was Right On time.

I've been looking around for your exact post since I bought my truck and realized the brackets were going to mess with my plans. I was looking to install a BakFlip G2 but after you specifically mentioned the Xceed I looked it up and think I like it better. Now that there has been a little time since you installed it has there been any leakage? Anything you wish you would've done differently? Also, did you put the rails behind the brackets?

Thanks for biting the bullet by taking the risk and I appreciate the information you've provided.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I've been looking around for your exact post since I bought my truck and realized the brackets were going to mess with my plans. I was looking to install a BakFlip G2 but after you specifically mentioned the Xceed I looked it up and think I like it better. Now that there has been a little time since you installed it has there been any leakage? Anything you wish you would've done differently? Also, did you put the rails behind the brackets?

Thanks for biting the bullet by taking the risk and I appreciate the information you've provided.
I looked at the G2 as well but I like the sleek, stealth look of the Xceed. It's like it's not even there. I have yet to see anyone else with that style cover as well and it's been funny to see other people checking it out in traffic.

As far as an update on my install, the only issues I've had with it so far is that the factory bulkhead weather strip they provide doesn't stick well at all on a box with spray in liner. If you align the front of the tonneau well (which I didn't at first) it sits down on it and creates a pretty good seal, but like I said the adhesive doesn't want to stick after some time and you could pull it out if you wanted to. I'd recommend replacing it with a whole different seal, or adding more adhesive (3M?) if you have a spray in liner.

As far as what I'd do differently? Nothing really. It worked out better than I hoped. I was really worried I was tossing money in the trash trying it out but it works. I set the brackets in first, then the tonneau rails. Not behind it. You'd probably warp the hell out of the rails if you tried to do it that way. Just check out the photos I posted of my install for reference. I did end up putting a nut behind the middle bolt on the side bulkhead bracket like I mentioned in my original post. Don't know the size of it off hand but it's just a simple fix so the middle bolt can actually be tightened. I saw another member here (different cover) notch the rail where it meets that bolt/washer, so that's a solution you can do as well. I just prefer not to do that in case I ever want to remove/sell the cover (probably never will).

Glad I was able to help man. I haven't posted pics of my cover installed yet but definitely give us an update if/when you do yours.

BigBen

Reaction score
I looked at the G2 as well but I like the sleek, stealth look of the Xceed. It's like it's not even there. I have yet to see anyone else with that style cover as well and it's been funny to see other people checking it out in traffic.

As far as an update on my install, the only issues I've had with it so far is that the factory bulkhead weather strip they provide doesn't stick well at all on a box with spray in liner. If you align the front of the tonneau well (which I didn't at first) it sits down on it and creates a pretty good seal, but like I said the adhesive doesn't want to stick after some time and you could pull it out if you wanted to. I'd recommend replacing it with a whole different seal, or adding more adhesive (3M?) if you have a spray in liner.

As far as what I'd do differently? Nothing really. It worked out better than I hoped. I was really worried I was tossing money in the trash trying it out but it works. I set the brackets in first, then the tonneau rails. Not behind it. You'd probably warp the hell out of the rails if you tried to do it that way. Just check out the photos I posted of my install for reference. I did end up putting a nut behind the middle bolt on the side bulkhead bracket like I mentioned in my original post. Don't know the size of it off hand but it's just a simple fix so the middle bolt can actually be tightened. I saw another member here (different cover) notch the rail where it meets that bolt/washer, so that's a solution you can do as well. I just prefer not to do that in case I ever want to remove/sell the cover (probably never will).

Glad I was able to help man. I haven't posted pics of my cover installed yet but definitely give us an update if/when you do yours.

Awesome, thanks for the update! Mine was supposed to come with a spray in liner but for whatever reason they didn't do it at the factory so the dealer is doing it soon. Maybe I'll see if they'll leave the spray liner off the top of the bulkhead when they do so I can add the seal without worry.

Is the nut just because the bolt isn't long enough to engage the threaded portion in the bed itself? If it is, do you think I may be better served getting different bolts and possibly switch styles to add more clearance?

Myk5486

Reaction score
I installed a rollup tonneau cover with just wedging the metal corner braces with the rails of the cover in between it. I am not sure someone else has done this but happy to send pictures if desired.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the update! Mine was supposed to come with a spray in liner but for whatever reason they didn't do it at the factory so the dealer is doing it soon. Maybe I'll see if they'll leave the spray liner off the top of the bulkhead when they do so I can add the seal without worry.

Is the nut just because the bolt isn't long enough to engage the threaded portion in the bed itself? If it is, do you think I may be better served getting different bolts and possibly switch styles to add more clearance?
No the nut was just my way of avoiding having to notch the rail. The bolt tightens into the bed itself, just doesn't sit flush with bracket because if you try screwing that middle bolt all the way, you'll hit the rail before you hit the bracket. You'll see what I mean when you go to set the rails on after you install the new brackets. It's really not a big deal at the end of the day. You're just not able to tighten the bolt/washer flush with the bracket, hence why I put a nut behind it so there was contact with the face of the bracket and the washer. Removing the washer might help but I opted to keep it.

I installed a rollup tonneau cover with just wedging the metal corner braces with the rails of the cover in between it. I am not sure someone else has done this but happy to send pictures if desired.
That's really the only covers that work almost all the time with MFT boxes. Most people don't seem to have issues installing them. If that's the style of tonneau you're looking for, chances are it will be no problem at all to install.

Kooch80

Reaction score
Yes, post pictures

Scottysram

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Bak revolver X4? And if so, any tricks for installation?

mrod909

Reaction score
After following this thread and reading all of the recommendations and tips I settled on getting the retrax pro xr. I purchased the right on brackets and I have to admit they were a little difficult to put on. First I had to cut a little bit of the bed liner on each side for the brackets to sit flushed. Then I had to get a friend to yank on them so the holes could match up while I reinstalled the bolts. After all that the brackets were finally secured to the bed. They in fact do look and feel stronger than the OEM brackets and I know they won’t be an issue. I then assembled the canister and rails of the retrax pro xr and had the same friend help me lift it up into the bed. The canister sat perfectly in the back of the bed thanks to the right on brackets. I installed the clamps, made measurements to make sure the rails were parallel, and cut off excess weather stripping. All in all the job took about 2 hours. Thank you guys for the tips, pictures, videos, and everything else to help a fellow Ram owner out! This forum is the best!

Attachments

• 9E4B3715-3FFB-4817-AEC9-FFDB79BAC6E0.jpeg
    9E4B3715-3FFB-4817-AEC9-FFDB79BAC6E0.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 192
  • CD7386DD-E071-4328-AD04-C3DFA2438694.jpeg
    CD7386DD-E071-4328-AD04-C3DFA2438694.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 0FBB51E9-4377-47EE-84C9-C417CA09B84B.jpeg
    0FBB51E9-4377-47EE-84C9-C417CA09B84B.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 9754E759-168C-4852-B2A2-E16BD68E771D.jpeg
    9754E759-168C-4852-B2A2-E16BD68E771D.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 029F3E37-8C58-45F3-A0FB-94D1DBB00532.jpeg
    029F3E37-8C58-45F3-A0FB-94D1DBB00532.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 659304F3-B33D-4DB8-BC9D-46E75A7A721A.jpeg
    659304F3-B33D-4DB8-BC9D-46E75A7A721A.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 46DAD60C-3707-43AE-A159-3A609127EBE5.jpeg
    46DAD60C-3707-43AE-A159-3A609127EBE5.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 188

Rambunktious

Reaction score
Ordered the X4 and the brackets from right on. Will post pics of install after it arrives
I look forward to hearing how it goes. I ordered my Right On brackets this morning to replace the factory brackets and to see how they fit. If the X4 can be installed with the Right On brackets then I will be ordering my X4 as soon as we return from our trip.

sjdavis3

Reaction score
Great Forum. Has anyone tried installing the Undercover Armorflex cover with brackets?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BNeal

Reaction score
Not sure if they changed things for '21, but my truck with Ram Box and MFT did not come with any brackets - from the factory. Here are some pic's at the dealership right after it came off the truck, and then after the BakFlip was installed. I don't see any brackets. I had a BakFlip G2 installed and it fits perfectly. Am I missing something... other than brackets?

NoBrkts.jpg Ram3.jpg BakFlip.jpg Corner.jpg

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if they changed things for '21, but my truck with Ram Box and MFT did not come with any brackets - from the factory. Here are some pic's at the dealership right after it came off the truck, and then after the BakFlip was installed. I don't see any brackets. I had a BakFlip G2 installed and it fits perfectly. Am I missing something... other than brackets?
Right, there are no brackets with the RamBox. The brackets are on non-Rambox trucks with the MFT. Many cover manufacturers still say they are not compatible with the Rambox/MFT combo but all who have posted here say they are fine with the Rambox/MFT.

BNeal

Reaction score
Right, there are no brackets with the RamBox. The brackets are on non-Rambox trucks with the MFT. Many cover manufacturers still say they are not compatible with the Rambox/MFT combo but all who have posted here say they are fine with the Rambox/MFT.
Well, I can only speak for mine, but so far, I have had zero problems. Actually, I love this combination.

And thanks for the clarification on the bracket thing!

Users who are viewing this thread