5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

BeachBum

Reaction score
Hey Adrian, I am considering the BakFlip MX4. After reading your install info have a couple of questions if you could answer for me. In the end, were all 6 bolts in place on the Right On Brackets. If the brackets were designed with Countersunk Flathead Torx type screws would the install have been easier eliminating the issues you had? This would create at least 1/4" of clearance on each side or 1/2" total. This also brings the rear seal 1/4" closer at the front of the bed wall.

Thanks George

Last edited:

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Hey Adrian, I am considering the BakFlip MX4. After reading your install info have a couple of questions if you could answer for me. In the end, were all 6 bolts in place on the Right On Brackets. If the brackets were designed with Countersunk Flathead Torx type screws would the install have been easier eliminating the issues you had? This would create at least 1/4" of clearance on each side or 1/2" total. This also brings the rear seal 1/4" closer at the front of the bed wall.

Thanks George

I'm watching this myself.

I have the Gator Hybrid right now. Wasn't the one I REALLY WANT - but it works in the interim until Bak (MX4) or Extang (encore) come out with a viable option. Personally, I prefer the MX4, as it is a little lower profile.

These brackets look good - but the rail for the Bak MX4 still has to sit/mount FLUSH with/to the bed rail - so I would think ANYTHING that pushed it away from the rail (including, potentially, these brackets), would make it more difficult to install, as the hold-down bolts (or elevator bolts as they call them) have to fit in a slot on the rail.

Hey Pete - take a look at this install video

2020 Ram Truck 1500 BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover | BAKFlip

And see if you think the rails for the cover would clear the brackets without creating an issue (like say, a LEAK - or cause the cover to distort or not seal correctly to the rail).

As George suggests - something a little flusher with the surface of the bracket(s), might make it easier for them to work wth covers that use a rail based mounting system.

Rick

JWieseckel

Reaction score
it was the brackets. I removed the painted bolts and then had to be very precise to get the cover to fit. There is absolutely zero room for error. This is with BakFlip G2. In the end the brackets and cover are on though.
How did you account for the thickness of the brackets? Did you have to modify the cover rails? or use gaskets to account for thickness of brackets?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
How did you account for the thickness of the brackets? Did you have to modify the cover rails? or use gaskets to account for thickness of brackets?

Yeah - I see this as an issue too.

There are a number of covers that use CLAMPS to the bed lip (like the Gator Hybrid and Extang Solid Fold 2.0) - but the lay OVER the top of the bed cap - instead of FLUSH (like the ones with the rails do).

Pretty sure from the looks of things - that the brackets are going to interfere with the rails being mounted - even if they're only deflected the 3/8" of the bracket thickness - plus, whatever the HARDWARE is - which looks to be another 3/8 to 5/8 - so we're looking at something that comes off the bed rail 1/2" or better.

Rick

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the Truxedo Pro X15 with the right on bracket?

stronbl

Reaction score
New to the forum - great info so thanks ... I'm waiting on my truck a 2020 1500 Limited with MFT, no Ram box. With the factory shut down for a while, plenty of time to search the internet for a tonneau cover that works with MFT - no Ram box with OEM braces (sounds like I will have to check out RightOn braces though). I went to the Extang site and checked out the Solid Fold 2.0 It says it WILL NOT fit MFT and no Ram box. Is this true? I thought there were some on the forum that had installed Extang Solid Fold 2.0 with MFT and no Ram box without any problems ... please enlighten me. Thanks.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
New to the forum - great info so thanks ... I'm waiting on my truck a 2020 1500 Limited with MFT, no Ram box. With the factory shut down for a while, plenty of time to search the internet for a tonneau cover that works with MFT - no Ram box with OEM braces (sounds like I will have to check out RightOn braces though). I went to the Extang site and checked out the Solid Fold 2.0 It says it WILL NOT fit MFT and no Ram box. Is this true? I thought there were some on the forum that had installed Extang Solid Fold 2.0 with MFT and no Ram box without any problems ... please enlighten me. Thanks.

Call Extang - I believe the last conversation I had with them - they said the 2.0 WOULD WORK - that was a couple of weeks ago.

They:
A - May not have updated the website

or

B - Shipped a few and found they actually didn't fit correctly.

Rick

dfclimber

Reaction score
I got tired of waiting and lost interest in trying to get and fit brackets. Went with gator hybrid and its 99.99% dry and simple to install, fold and even completely remove (if needed). Fits my needs for now.

rightonbracket

Reaction score
We're modifying the truck brackets slightly. Instead of 2.5" wide, we're testing a 2" wide bracket that's 3/8" thick. This will allow a bed cap to be installed as well as a tonneau cover. As soon as we're done running our tests, these will be available. Will post photos and an install video hopefully soon!

If anyone is interested in our truck brackets, you can find them here: https://rightonbracket.com/product/ram-truck-bed-brackets/

Questions and feedback are greatly appreciated. We're a shelving and countertop support bracket company, so the more information for us the better! You can reach me at [email protected]

-Pete

1JK

Reaction score
I purchased the RetraxPro MX for RamBox with BUG and MF gate for 1599 delivered. Installed it myself, a little fit-up required, no problems as my 2020 LTD didn't have any braces. Just installed it but my observations are these:
The drain system will need to be modified to work correctly,
The seal along the sides will likely leak,
There is a gap between the MF gate and the top which will leak.
the RamBoxs cannot open 100% as they push against the seals but they open far enough.

Having said that, once adjusted, the top seems to operate smoothly, and it's supposed to loosen up with use. It looks nice, and it has enough clearance for the bed divider. It is good quality as far a materials of construction go. There are limited options at this time for the RamBox / MF Gate setup, (that I found). I've had ARE and Undercover tops, both of which worked well however had to be removed in order to carry anything taller than a couple of feet, and wont work with RamBox / MF Gate. This Roll up style does use up some space on the cab end but doesn't require removal to carry taller cargo.

I'll use it and make some seal modifications as I go. Overall I think it will work out fine. The photos attached show the described points. the top bracket cant be moved back any further in order to make a better seal along the MF gate because it is already contacting the MF gate. Possibly it could be trimmed however the large gaps at the sides are still open.
edit: I also tried to lower the tie down rails but this was as far as they seemed to go. I may remove them and slot the holes so it cn be lowered more. after seeing other pics (however not with RamBox), it seems the lid sits lower than I can get mine.
View attachment 42262 View attachment 42263 View attachment 42264 View attachment 42265 View attachment 42266
Try Gator brand. I got a hard, folding, locking cover. Awesome quality and fit
looks like a nice cover but doesn't appear it works with RamBox

1JK

Reaction score
I purchased the RetraxPro MX for RamBox with BUG and MF gate for 1599 delivered. Installed it myself, a little fit-up required, no problems as my 2020 LTD didn't have any braces. Just installed it but my observations are these:
The drain system will need to be modified to work correctly,
The seal along the sides will likely leak,
There is a gap between the MF gate and the top which will leak.
the RamBoxs cannot open 100% as they push against the seals but they open far enough.

Having said that, once adjusted, the top seems to operate smoothly, and it's supposed to loosen up with use. It looks nice, and it has enough clearance for the bed divider. It is good quality as far a materials of construction go. There are limited options at this time for the RamBox / MF Gate setup, (that I found). I've had ARE and Undercover tops, both of which worked well however had to be removed in order to carry anything taller than a couple of feet, and wont work with RamBox / MF Gate. This Roll up style does use up some space on the cab end but doesn't require removal to carry taller cargo.

I'll use it and make some seal modifications as I go. Overall I think it will work out fine. The photos attached show the described points. the top bracket cant be moved back any further in order to make a better seal along the MF gate because it is already contacting the MF gate. Possibly it could be trimmed however the large gaps at the sides are still open.
edit: I also tried to lower the tie down rails but this was as far as they seemed to go. I may remove them and slot the holes so it cn be lowered more. after seeing other pics (however not with RamBox), it seems the lid sits lower than I can get mine.
View attachment 42262 View attachment 42263 View attachment 42264 View attachment 42265 View attachment 42266
As a follow up. So far this has been a very functional cover with very little leakage. the seals have relaxed and provide a better fit than when first installed. I would rate it a Buy if you are looking for a cover that fits MFT and RamBox.

stronbl

Reaction score
Call Extang - I believe the last conversation I had with them - they said the 2.0 WOULD WORK - that was a couple of weeks ago.

They:
A - May not have updated the website

or

B - Shipped a few and found they actually didn't fit correctly.

Rick
Just a quick update ...
I did contact Extang and they did confirm the Solid Fold 2.0 tonneau WILL fit a 2019-2020 Ram with MFT and no Ram box as long as the proper bed length is selected. They have also updated their website showing the fit. Other 3rd party websites that sell the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 may not have updated their sites yet.

So far in my searching the Diamondback SE and the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 have manufacturer's confirmation they will fit with MFT and without Rambox with OEM brackets. Appears to be potentially many more tonneau cover options though if you go with the alternative brackets from RightOn.

stronbl

Reaction score
We're modifying the truck brackets slightly. Instead of 2.5" wide, we're testing a 2" wide bracket that's 3/8" thick. This will allow a bed cap to be installed as well as a tonneau cover. As soon as we're done running our tests, these will be available. Will post photos and an install video hopefully soon!

If anyone is interested in our truck brackets, you can find them here: https://rightonbracket.com/product/ram-truck-bed-brackets/

Questions and feedback are greatly appreciated. We're a shelving and countertop support bracket company, so the more information for us the better! You can reach me at [email protected]

-Pete
Thanks for doing all this work and sharing the information. Would the original 2 1/2" brackets still be available or will the 2" ones replace them, assuming they can handle the stress/load of the MFT when opened vertically? Looking forward to your assessment and video. Thanks!

rightonbracket

Reaction score
Thanks for doing all this work and sharing the information. Would the original 2 1/2" brackets still be available or will the 2" ones replace them, assuming they can handle the stress/load of the MFT when opened vertically? Looking forward to your assessment and video. Thanks!

We'll make whatever you need! These are pretty easy for us to create, as it's just a right angle bracket with special holes.

Thanks!

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We'll make whatever you need! These are pretty easy for us to create, as it's just a right angle bracket with special holes.

Thanks!

If you create a 2" with the .5" coming off the top (so recess is .5 from the top of the rail), that may allow use for more tonneaus. I think the lomax is close with the counter top style brackets...

rightonbracket

Reaction score
If you create a 2" with the .5" coming off the top (so recess is .5 from the top of the rail), that may allow use for more tonneaus. I think the lomax is close with the counter top style brackets...

We've actually starting working this. We want to create a bracket that can also help truck bed caps fit as well. Stay tuned!

rightonbracket

Reaction score

They will be available soon! Stay tuned!

marcwt

Reaction score
Looks great! Do you know if the retrax pro mx cover will still allow for a rack to be installed?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't read the entire thread but I've got an Access "original" roll-up cover ACI-14289.

Hello there.. Care to give a little review on the Access roll up?.. Interested in this cover. How does it do on the Hwy with faster speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread