5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

NJC1684

Reaction score
Hello there.. Care to give a little review on the Access roll up?.. Interested in this cover. How does it do on the Hwy with faster speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running Access covers for years as they're manufactured here in my hometown. You can't hear the cover or anything while cruising down the interstate.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been running Access covers for years as they're manufactured here in my hometown. You can't hear the cover or anything while cruising down the interstate.

Overall impression?..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjetb

Reaction score
We're modifying the truck brackets slightly. Instead of 2.5" wide, we're testing a 2" wide bracket that's 3/8" thick. This will allow a bed cap to be installed as well as a tonneau cover. As soon as we're done running our tests, these will be available. Will post photos and an install video hopefully soon!

If anyone is interested in our truck brackets, you can find them here: https://rightonbracket.com/product/ram-truck-bed-brackets/

Questions and feedback are greatly appreciated. We're a shelving and countertop support bracket company, so the more information for us the better! You can reach me at [email protected]

-Pete
Any update on the 2" X 3/8" brackets?
Thanks!

Last edited:

rightonbracket

Reaction score
We tested our new truck bed brackets and they successful passed out tests. They're 2" wide instead of 2.5". Still 3/8" thick. All the mounting holes are pre-made, so all you do is pop the stock brackets off and install ours! We also have a large hole we drill to fit around the bolt on the long side of the truck bed.

Checkout this product here for details: https://rightonbracket.com/product/ram-truck-bed-brackets/

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We tested our new truck bed brackets and they successful passed out tests. They're 2" wide instead of 2.5". Still 3/8" thick. All the mounting holes are pre-made, so all you do is pop the stock brackets off and install ours! We also have a large hole we drill to fit around the bolt on the long side of the truck bed.

Checkout this product here for details: https://rightonbracket.com/product/ram-truck-bed-brackets/

thanks! Do you think you’d be able to slot the holes so we could adjust them down further? When i test fitted the lomax, it appears that it would work well if i slotted my (countertop) bracket so it was able to clear the rail of the lomax.
Thanks!

Mother

Reaction score
I really didn't like the idea of removing/replacing the brackets, so I went with the Solid Fold 2.0. it went on easy enough. I did notice the front clamps are different from what's shown in the install video and instructions. Just a single plastic piece gets pulled up rather than the metal jaw type they show.

Also, I can definitely see a little daylight at the front corners. I'm pretty sure part of it is actually underneath the factory bed cap. I'll see if I can use some silicone or some weatherstripping to seal it up better.

20200422_180928.jpg
20200422_194243.jpg

Last edited:

stronbl

Reaction score
I really didn't like the idea of removing/replacing the brackets, so I went with the Solid Fold 2.0. it went on easy enough. I did notice the front clamps are different from what's shown in the install video and instructions. Just a single plastic piece gets pulled up rather than the metal jaw type they show.

Also, I can definitely see a little daylight at the front corners. I'm pretty sure part of it is actually underneath the factory bed cap. I'll see if I can use some silicone or some weatherstripping to seal it up better.

View attachment 53690
View attachment 53691
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the pics. As my truck is still at the VIN only stage while the factory remains closed, I have been going back and forth with (a) replace the brackets and get what I want like a Retrax Pro MX or (b) go with something like the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 as well. Lot's of waffling time for me - at least another month's worth, maybe more!

If you could, please report back on how your top seals after it has been on for awhile - a week or so - that would be helpful. Your "daylight" comment gives me some pause too so hopefully there is an easy fix (DIY or the top eventually self seals).

And for those who have gone the replacement bracket path, any issues so far with the operation of the MFT (i.e. warping or binding etc)? Many thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Ohcarlito

Reaction score
I was just thinking...won't the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 work? Or any other top of the side rail type covers? I was at my local truck parts store and had a good look at the extang with one of the sales guys. It looks like the clamps are on rails that can slide inwards. Which means you can clip on to the underside of the bracket. The bracket itself has a lip at the bottom that (I think) the clamp edge can bite into.

Any thoughts?
So I’ve been told from installers that the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 would work if that’s the look you’re going for. I know I personally was looking for a more flushed look and that won’t cover the top holes on the bed.

Mother

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the pics. As my truck is still at the VIN only stage while the factory remains closed, I have been going back and forth with (a) replace the brackets and get what I want like a Retrax Pro MX or (b) go with something like the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 as well. Lot's of waffling time for me - at least another month's worth, maybe more!

If you could, please report back on how your top seals after it has been on for awhile - a week or so - that would be helpful. Your "daylight" comment gives me some pause too so hopefully there is an easy fix (DIY or the top eventually self seals).

And for those who have gone the replacement bracket path, any issues so far with the operation of the MFT (i.e. warping or binding etc)? Many thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Well, no luck in the front seal "relaxing" to fill in those gaps at all. I reached out to Extang on their website chat to see if they had a solution. Their suggestion was to make a slice in each seal at the point of the transition between the side caps and the front rail. I can understand how that might work, but I'm a little leery of cutting the seal on my brand new $875 tonneau. I'm still thinking of trying the weatherstrip route. I know many other covers use an adhesive backed piece installed on the front rail. I think that would do the trick if I used a piece that sat at about the same height as the side caps.

NJC1684

Reaction score
Well, no luck in the front seal "relaxing" to fill in those gaps at all. I reached out to Extang on their website chat to see if they had a solution. Their suggestion was to make a slice in each seal at the point of the transition between the side caps and the front rail. I can understand how that might work, but I'm a little leery of cutting the seal on my brand new $875 tonneau. I'm still thinking of trying the weatherstrip route. I know many other covers use an adhesive backed piece installed on the front rail. I think that would do the trick if I used a piece that sat at about the same height as the side caps.
An Access Cover seal is like $15.

Mother

Reaction score
An Access Cover seal is like $15.

I'm not clear on just what you meant with your comment... I don't see where Access has seals listed separately if you were suggesting I try one of theirs for the front rail. I'll likely just pick up some universal adhesive backed weatherstripping. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

ermizo

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread and the team at right on brackets, I have upgraded the MFT brackets from stock to form fitting brackets to allow for bed accessories that were previously out of reach. Thanks for the tips, time to shop for a new tonneau cover and possibly a bed divider.
Also plan to look for some button head socket cap bolts to further improve the profile of the brackets. Currently re-installed the original bolts from the stock brackets. Too bad RAM couldn't have thought of this in the first place.
right-on bracket.jpg

Last edited:

rightonbracket

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread and the team at right on brackets, I have upgraded the MFT brackets from stock to form fitting brackets to allow for bed accessories that were previously out of reach. Thanks for the tips, time to shop for a new tonneau cover and possibly a bed divider.
Also plan to look for some button head socket cap bolts to further improve the profile of the brackets. Currently re-installed the original bolts from the stock brackets. Too bad RAM couldn't have thought of this in the first place.
View attachment 55037

Glad we could help!

rightonbracket

Reaction score
I wanted to give everyone in this thread an update on our replacement brackets. We just sent out the 100th pair this morning! We've only received a few returns when a specific Tonneau cover didn't work. I get a lot of questions if a specific tonneau cover will work with our brackets and since we don't have a truck on hand, we're not sure. However with only a few returns, it seems like they're working!

If you receive our brackets and they don't work with your tonneau cover, just send them back for a full refund!

All of our bracket's are now 2" wide. Some of the install photos on our website are a 2.5" wide bracket. This now allows a bed cap to be installed as well. Here's a link to the brackets on our website:

If you have any questions, shoot me an Email: [email protected]

BeachBum

Reaction score
Glad we could help!
View attachment 55037
I also had the Idea of a different screw in order to gain some additional clearance. Was actually looking for a countersinking head type screw with a Torx Head requiring countersinking Pete's bracket holes. This would gain you a little over 1/2" overall side clearance allowing more recessed type hard covers to work. I measured the factory bolts to be a M9 x1.25 thread and 2 different lengths needed one of which was pretty long, maybe 4-5 inches.....cant remember now as its been a while. Anyway that thread seems to be obsolete except for some short hex bolts or basic allen head. Never saw any cap type. Should you have better luck, please let us know.

STR

Reaction score
Has anybody tried to install the Bakflip MX4 with the updated RightonBrackets? I had the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 on another truck, but wanted the flush mount this time.

Users who are viewing this thread