5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

jcarcueva

Reaction score
Out of curiosity...what do the retrax go for? I'm up in Canada and it's pretty pricey up here.

Mandtz

Reaction score
I bought mine from a local dealer because I wasn't 100% sure it would fit and they were selling it installed.
They charged me USD $1899.00 installed. If I had a kid still at home to give me a hand , knew how easy it was to install, and knew it would fit I may have just searched for the cheapest online price.

jcarcueva

Reaction score
I was just thinking...won't the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 work? Or any other top of the side rail type covers? I was at my local truck parts store and had a good look at the extang with one of the sales guys. It looks like the clamps are on rails that can slide inwards. Which means you can clip on to the underside of the bracket. The bracket itself has a lip at the bottom that (I think) the clamp edge can bite into.

Any thoughts?

scope1

Reaction score
I bought mine from a local dealer because I wasn't 100% sure it would fit and they were selling it installed.
They charged me USD $1899.00 installed. If I had a kid still at home to give me a hand , knew how easy it was to install, and knew it would fit I may have just searched for the cheapest online price.
That is a very good price for the top and installation especially since they needed to fiddle with the brackets. Hopefully the new brackets work. It is certainly worth a try. Once I get the truck this weekend I will try to make them up at a local steel mill and install them myself. The last one I had I installed on my Tundra with my wife and it turned out perfect. My first retrax I had installed from a local dealer, charged me $250 which loosened twice until I finally removed it and reinstalled it with my wife. That Retrax Pro MX is hard to beat. In my opinion it's the best roll top cover out there.

rightonbracket

Reaction score
If you need to replace your stock truck bed brackets to install a tonneau cover, we have an option. We designed the brackets on this thread and now have replacements ready to ship. Check them out:

1576131772028.png

Our truck bed brackets are just a simple right angle steel bracket without a reinforcement bar. The steel is 3/8" thick and made in our shop here in the states. Just as strong as the stock brackets! Mounting holes are 1/2" wide so you're able to use the stock mounting hardware from your original truck brackets. They're also buffed smooth and powder coated black for a beautiful finish.

Let us know if you need a pair!

Last edited:

1JK

Reaction score
Try Gator brand. I got a hard, folding, locking cover. Awesome quality and fit

I purchased the RetraxPro MX for RamBox with BUG and MF gate for 1599 delivered. Installed it myself, a little fit-up required, no problems as my 2020 LTD didn't have any braces. Just installed it but my observations are these:
The drain system will need to be modified to work correctly,
The seal along the sides will likely leak,
There is a gap between the MF gate and the top which will leak.
the RamBoxs cannot open 100% as they push against the seals but they open far enough.

Having said that, once adjusted, the top seems to operate smoothly, and it's supposed to loosen up with use. It looks nice, and it has enough clearance for the bed divider. It is good quality as far a materials of construction go. There are limited options at this time for the RamBox / MF Gate setup, (that I found). I've had ARE and Undercover tops, both of which worked well however had to be removed in order to carry anything taller than a couple of feet, and wont work with RamBox / MF Gate. This Roll up style does use up some space on the cab end but doesn't require removal to carry taller cargo.

I'll use it and make some seal modifications as I go. Overall I think it will work out fine. The photos attached show the described points. the top bracket cant be moved back any further in order to make a better seal along the MF gate because it is already contacting the MF gate. Possibly it could be trimmed however the large gaps at the sides are still open.
edit: I also tried to lower the tie down rails but this was as far as they seemed to go. I may remove them and slot the holes so it cn be lowered more. after seeing other pics (however not with RamBox), it seems the lid sits lower than I can get mine.
Screenshot_20191221-192123_QuickPic.jpg Screenshot_20191221-192051_QuickPic.jpg Screenshot_20191221-191950_QuickPic.jpg Screenshot_20191221-191926_QuickPic.jpg 20191221_192315.jpg

Last edited:

scope1

Reaction score
Finally got my Retrax ProXR installed on my 2020 Ram 1500 5'7 bed without rambox and with Multi function tailgate.. The brackets that were made by rightonbracket.com were spot on. They fit like a glove. I installed the Retrax Pro XR with my wife which took about an hour plus a little bit of bickering. The retrax cover fit perfect with good sealing front and rear. The tailgate doors open and close nicely. I couldn't be happier with the brackets and I feel that the 20191124_113731.jpg 20191220_113954.jpg 20191227_152228.jpg 20191228_091244.jpg 20191228_090814.jpg 20191124_113731.jpg 20191220_113954.jpg 20191227_152228.jpg 20191228_091244.jpg 20191228_090814.jpg y are stronger and will last just as long as the originals.

Attachments

• 20191124_113744.jpg
    20191124_113744.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 253

threebees74

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these brackets will allow the install of the Undercover Armor, or the BakFlip MX4? I'm just wondering if you will be able to fit the side rails without the brackets interfering. I know you all are having success with the Retrax, but I was wondering if the flip versions would work as well.

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
Same question. Just ordered one with MFT and like the MX4 for compatibility with dirt bikes

cnote

Reaction score
Would removing the factory braces and installing the aftermarket brackets from rightonbrackets possibly void your warranty if there are any bed issues?

scope1

Reaction score
Maybe, but if a problem arises just remove the cover and switch out the braces. I couldn't imagine what could possibly go wrong. right on brackets seem stronger than the originals.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Went to install mine and it pushes the rails 1/4" together where the brackets are, so my BakFlip G2 will not fit. Anybody have this issue or find a way to overcome it?

dfclimber

Reaction score
Adrianp89 - what was "it" that pushed the rails inward? The rightonbrackets or the factory bolts (or both). Would changing the bolts to something more flush or countersunk work?

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Adrianp89 - what was "it" that pushed the rails inward? The rightonbrackets or the factory bolts (or both). Would changing the bolts to something more flush or countersunk work?

it was the brackets. I removed the painted bolts and then had to be very precise to get the cover to fit. There is absolutely zero room for error. This is with BakFlip G2. In the end the brackets and cover are on though.

dfclimber

Reaction score
If you took a pic during your install- posting it would be great to add to the knowledge base. I wonder if additional info could be learned to improve rightonbrackets or other mods to make more covers work (better/ easier) . Keep us updated.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
If you took a pic during your install- posting it would be great to add to the knowledge base. I wonder if additional info could be learned to improve rightonbrackets or other mods to make more covers work (better/ easier) . Keep us updated.

I don't have anything useful. I actually had to drill out the connector points for the physical cover. I think if the RightonBrackets cut out a notch maybe a .5" or so, this would allow the rails to sit where they should.

Users who are viewing this thread