5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover advice

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed some weather stripping along the tailgate gaps. Didn’t hurt but didn’t help that much. First time it rained here in weeks and sent to check everything and this is the crap I find.....all coming from the cab side. The Lomax rails are installed as low as I could get them and still leaks like crazy.

Attachments

• 459C0FFF-42BC-42D3-AEC6-14688200EADA.jpeg
    459C0FFF-42BC-42D3-AEC6-14688200EADA.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 87
  • BD2D4661-2498-4F35-A918-B4BD7DAA7D01.jpeg
    BD2D4661-2498-4F35-A918-B4BD7DAA7D01.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 89

SP1772

Reaction score
Here are a few more pics! I should also mention - you do have to pull the release cord and pop open the end of the cover to close the tailgate, since the rubber gasket sits over the top of the tailgate. (As illustrated in Pic #3) I don't mind it at all, but then again I don't have to open my tailgate all that often.
View attachment 25540 View attachment 25541 View attachment 25542 View attachment 25543
I’m assuming no water getting in, right? I’m torn between this and the extang trifecta signature.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have owners been ok with the Mopar one? My son is wanting a tri-fold and theres so many differing kinds, he just needs a basic lockable one that doesn’t let volumes of water in (he knows they aren’t really secure).

Last edited by a moderator:

jkm312

Reaction score
Have owners been ok with the Mopar one? My son is wanting a tri-fold and rtheres so many differing kinds, he just needs a basic lockable one that doesn’t let volumes of water in (he knows they aren’t really secure).
I purchased the Lomax from Truck Alterations in Waynesville NC. Your neck of the woods somewhat. I've been thru some serious, serious all day rains a couple of times out on the highway and mine just gets a FEW drops in the tailgate area. Nothing to get excited about. It's about as secure as you can get for a bed cover. I knew I didn't want another soft cover. They are well built, easy to install and fit right. IF you have a drop in liner, then you will have to trim the upper outside corners of the liner just a wisker to allow for the tab. It weights about 60LBs, a minute or less and you can take the cover completely out of the bed and out of the way. I'm glad I listened to all the recommendations in this forum and purchased one. Need more information PM me if you want.

The main website is Agricovers. An Iowa based company, in my neck of the woods.

brotharon

Reaction score
30192 30193
BakFlip MX4. Had the top panels sprayed with the same bedliner as I had done in the bed of the truck. Super rugged tops, this is my second one on as many trucks. My first one kept out feet of snow in upstate New York. Another fun thing about them is that they are strong enough to stand on. People who commented that you lose visibility out of the rear window with the top folded all the way are correct, but if you only occasionally need the whole bed it is not a big deal at all.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the Lomax from Truck Alterations in Waynesville NC. Your neck of the woods somewhat. I've been thru some serious, serious all day rains a couple of times out on the highway and mine just gets a FEW drops in the tailgate area. Nothing to get excited about. It's about as secure as you can get for a bed cover. I knew I didn't want another soft cover. They are well built, easy to install and fit right. IF you have a drop in liner, then you will have to trim the upper outside corners of the liner just a wisker to allow for the tab. It weights about 60LBs, a minute or less and you can take the cover completely out of the bed and out of the way. I'm glad I listened to all the recommendations in this forum and purchased one. Need more information PM me if you want.

The main website is Agricovers. An Iowa based company, in my neck of the woods.

I can’t seem to get mine to stop leaking over the wheel wells.

jkm312

Reaction score
I can’t seem to get mine to stop leaking over the wheel wells.
When I installed the rails I used a torpedo level off the top of the bed rail to get the height of the support rails even with the bed of the truck. You might consider lowering the support rails just a tiny bit to "tighten" the seal between the bottom of the cover and truck bed rail. Does the seal on the cover have any noticeable flat spots in the area where it is leaking. Are the three panels of the cover laying flat along the bed rails. Are the bed rail covers smooth. If the front is dry, try dropping the rails next to the tailgate a little, but not so much as to interfere with the operation of the tailgate. I had to play with mine a little to find the sweet spot so I can drop the tailgate with the key fob. THAT little feature is one of my favorites that I never realized how handy it is.

timtlu

Reaction score
Have owners been ok with the Mopar one? My son is wanting a tri-fold and theres so many differing kinds, he just needs a basic lockable one that doesn’t let volumes of water in (he knows they aren’t really secure).
Haven't had rain yet with Mopar hard trifold, but I'm happy with it so far. Super easy to install, defacto locks with tailgate up (no wiggle/ ability to shimmy it open), can open and close tailgate with it on and closed fully, very simple and quick to install/uninstall, sits flush to cab with clips and cushion when fully retracted.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Haven't had rain yet with Mopar hard trifold, but I'm happy with it so far. Super easy to install, defacto locks with tailgate up (no wiggle/ ability to shimmy it open), can open and close tailgate with it on and closed fully, very simple and quick to install/uninstall, sits flush to cab with clips and cushion when fully retracted.
View attachment 30199
Thanks. You installed it yourself then?

timtlu

Reaction score
Thanks. You installed it yourself then?
Oh for sure. Literally could not be easier. Three clamps on either side to put rails/cleats (whatever you call them) in. Hand place a drainage tube at either side towards cab. Two screws on either clasp to retract to. One sealant strip along bed width at the cab. From there it literally just sits down and self clamps in. All you have to do is adjust the placement so that the weather fins hit correctly at the tailgate. Half hour job or less with no expertise at all.

Only ran into one issue. The bed ships with two little parts baggies. One for the hardware to install the clips to clip into when folded all the way, one for the hardware to install the cover to the rails/cleats (bolts/washers/springs/turn knob nut). Somehow I got two of the first, none of the latter. Called the support phone number on the manual and they said they would ship out the right part baggie number, no questions asked. Two days later got that bag, plus an entire package of all mounting parts/accesseries. 6 more clasps, more weather lining, tubes, etc. Really good customer service there.

timtlu

Reaction score
Thanks. The local dealer quoted 2.5 hours..
That's absolutely ridiculous. I can take pictures of manual and send to you if you want to check it out before hand. Hell I can even mail you one since I now have 2 lol.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I installed the rails I used a torpedo level off the top of the bed rail to get the height of the support rails even with the bed of the truck. You might consider lowering the support rails just a tiny bit to "tighten" the seal between the bottom of the cover and truck bed rail. Does the seal on the cover have any noticeable flat spots in the area where it is leaking. Are the three panels of the cover laying flat along the bed rails. Are the bed rail covers smooth. If the front is dry, try dropping the rails next to the tailgate a little, but not so much as to interfere with the operation of the tailgate. I had to play with mine a little to find the sweet spot so I can drop the tailgate with the key fob. THAT little feature is one of my favorites that I never realized how handy it is.

I have adjusted the rails as low as they could go without them digging into the plastic bedside covers. The bed rails are wavy now and warped I’m guessing due to the heat. The tailgate is tight but does still open with the key fob. I just don’t understand. This is my second one too because the first one I got was the old style so I returned it. Both leaked.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
That's absolutely ridiculous. I can take pictures of manual and send to you if you want to check it out before hand. Hell I can even mail you one since I now have 2 lol.
Thanks, if I decide to get one I will pm you.

jkm312

Reaction score
I have adjusted the rails as low as they could go without them digging into the plastic bedside covers. The bed rails are wavy now and warped I’m guessing due to the heat. The tailgate is tight but does still open with the key fob. I just don’t understand. This is my second one too because the first one I got was the old style so I returned it. Both leaked.
My best guess the problem is where the bed rails are wavy and warped in the heat as you say.

I would ask tech support at Agri covers if they have any idea what can be done about the bed rail covers.

I'm stumped. Wish I had an answer for you.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My best guess the problem is where the bed rails are wavy and warped in the heat as you say.

I would ask tech support at Agri covers if they have any idea what can be done about the bed rail covers.

I'm stumped. Wish I had an answer for you.

This is how it’s warped but you can see the seals are following it well.

Attachments

• 6543760A-E74C-46CD-8629-D964F5CA7DDC.jpeg
    6543760A-E74C-46CD-8629-D964F5CA7DDC.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 2AFD524C-9AE4-4A4D-9C68-DAABEB6B744E.jpeg
    2AFD524C-9AE4-4A4D-9C68-DAABEB6B744E.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 53

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
View attachment 30199
Just got my hard tri-fold sent to the dealership for under $800. MOPAR has a website with dealer-specific coupons that they must honor https://www.mopar.com/en-us/savings/coupons/dealer-coupons.html?dealerCode=43664
Installing myself, as well. Hope I don’t get water intrusion!

When you say no rain do you mean it has not yet rained or no water has entered the bed due to rain?

brotharon

Reaction score
Just got my hard tri-fold sent to the dealership for under $800. MOPAR has a website with dealer-specific coupons that they must honor https://www.mopar.com/en-us/savings/coupons/dealer-coupons.html?dealerCode=43664
The Mopar one looks exactly like the BakFlip MX4 to me. I paid $700 installed with bedliner sprayed on the panels of my BakFlip MX4, maybe the Mopar one is something else, just going off of appearance. I also know that individual mileage may vary and prices arent the same everywhere. I also hope you do not get water intrusion!

timtlu

Reaction score

When you say no rain do you mean it has not yet rained or no water has entered the bed due to rain?
It hasn't rained yet. Have some in the forecast tomorrow and Friday (of course, I just washed my truck for the first time in 3 weeks last night). I'll keep updated.

Users who are viewing this thread