5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover advice

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
The Mopar one looks exactly like the BakFlip MX4 to me. I paid $700 installed with bedliner sprayed on the panels of my BakFlip MX4, maybe the Mopar one is something else, just going off of appearance. I also know that individual mileage may vary and prices arent the same everywhere. I also hope you do not get water intrusion!
I’m obsessed with matching brands, so that was a price I was willing to pay. Saved 15% over retail price. They wanted $300 to install, yeah right. It was a huge leap for me to get aftermarket side steps lol. Installed them myself, too.

You got the cover sprayed with bedliner material? Haven’t thought to do that. Purpose is to keep from scratching interior or exterior?

brotharon

Reaction score
I’m obsessed with matching brands, so that was a price I was willing to pay. Saved 15% over retail price. They wanted $300 to install, yeah right. It was a huge leap for me to get aftermarket side steps lol. Installed them myself, too.

You got the cover sprayed with bedliner material? Haven’t thought to do that. Purpose is to keep from scratching interior or exterior?
Yeah, I got the outside of it sprayed. I had one in the past and had it pick up some scratches and dents from...the same thing the bed picks up scratches and dents from. Coolers being set on it, me walking on it to clean the roof of the truck, ya know. Anyway, I figured it couldnt hurt, and I think it looks good because the bedliner color matches the plastic on the tops of the side rails of the bed. Maybe it will do nothing, but maybe it will keep some annoying hail from denting up my bedcover...only time will tell :D

BTW, I have the Mopar side steps, dealer installed before I got the truck, I dont like them at all, there is a 45 foot gap between the side of the body and the start of the step. I could fly a 747 between my truck body and the step. Maybe I will look at modding the bracket to fit the truck better.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Yeah, I got the outside of it sprayed. I had one in the past and had it pick up some scratches and dents from...the same thing the bed picks up scratches and dents from. Coolers being set on it, me walking on it to clean the roof of the truck, ya know. Anyway, I figured it couldnt hurt, and I think it looks good because the bedliner color matches the plastic on the tops of the side rails of the bed. Maybe it will do nothing, but maybe it will keep some annoying hail from denting up my bedcover...only time will tell :D

BTW, I have the Mopar side steps, dealer installed before I got the truck, I dont like them at all, there is a 45 foot gap between the side of the body and the start of the step. I could fly a 747 between my truck body and the step. Maybe I will look at modding the bracket to fit the truck better.
I laughed out loud. Anyway, I have these and love the look and tight fit (even if they are not MOPAR branded). Narrow step for my size 14 boots, but they are for my girlfriend to get up in the truck. I’m 6’5” and never use them. Just enjoy the protection they bring to the rocker panels.

Mine is white. Looks exactly like this one installed.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score

Finally took a picture of mine.

Attachments

• 491F100F-772C-4373-9431-855756BCFDAA.jpeg
    491F100F-772C-4373-9431-855756BCFDAA.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 48

tdager

Reaction score
Haven't had rain yet with Mopar hard trifold, but I'm happy with it so far. Super easy to install, defacto locks with tailgate up (no wiggle/ ability to shimmy it open), can open and close tailgate with it on and closed fully, very simple and quick to install/uninstall, sits flush to cab with clips and cushion when fully retracted.
View attachment 30199
Does it fold all the way up like the Bakflip MX4? So you an use all (well most) of the bed?

timtlu

Reaction score
Does it fold all the way up like the Bakflip MX4? So you an use all (well most) of the bed?

My understanding id they are exactly the same other than gloss/matte finish and branding. But I've never seen the Bakflip, so I can't say anything for certain. Here's a couple videos of open/close, that probably answers what you want to know. Very simple to do one handed while recording in other hand.

Users who are viewing this thread