5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover advice

Keith C

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought a 2019 1500 Big Horn with the 6’4” bed. Love the truck so far. It did not come with a bed cover and would love advice from anyone with after market experience. I’m willing to pay for the hard cover, if it really makes a difference. I guess my questions would be - what are the best ones out there, and is this something I should have the dealer install. Note I do have the ram stock bed liner. Appreciate any comments!
Keith

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought a 2019 1500 Big Horn with the 6’4” bed. Love the truck so far. It did not come with a bed cover and would love advice from anyone with after market experience. I’m willing to pay for the hard cover, if it really makes a difference. I guess my questions would be - what are the best ones out there, and is this something I should have the dealer install. Note I do have the ram stock bed liner. Appreciate any comments!
Keith

Truxedo makes nice stuff. I debated for days on the truxedo Pro x15, truxedo sentry, and the bakflip Mx4.

I got the Prox15 and I am very happy with it. You can install yourself easily with basic hand tools.

It all comes down to what you want in a cover. I wanted my cover to keep the bed clean and dry for hauling luggage and other personal items. I would have liked a hard cover, but the cost is much higher and doesn't really offer much protection from someone that wants in your bed. Plus, truxedo offers a lifetime warranty on the pro x15 and I think 5 years on the sentry.

The bakflip is super nice, too. But I did not like the idea of folding it up and leaning against the cab if I wanted to use almost the entire bed. To use the entire bed, you need to remove it.

The Pro x15 looks super sharp in matte black, doesn't make any flapping noise in the wind that I cam hear, keeps my bed nearly bone dry in even the heaviest downpours and rolls up tightly to reveal the entire bed whenever I need it.

Keith C

Reaction score
Truxedo makes nice stuff. I debated for days on the truxedo Pro x15, truxedo sentry, and the bakflip Mx4.

I got the Prox15 and I am very happy with it. You can install yourself easily with basic hand tools.

It all comes down to what you want in a cover. I wanted my cover to keep the bed clean and dry for hauling luggage and other personal items. I would have liked a hard cover, but the cost is much higher and doesn't really offer much protection from someone that wants in your bed. Plus, truxedo offers a lifetime warranty on the pro x15 and I think 5 years on the sentry.

The bakflip is super nice, too. But I did not like the idea of folding it up and leaning against the cab if I wanted to use almost the entire bed. To use the entire bed, you need to remove it.

The Pro x15 looks super sharp in matte black, doesn't make any flapping noise in the wind that I cam hear, keeps my bed nearly bone dry in even the heaviest downpours and rolls up tightly to reveal the entire bed whenever I need it.
Thank you so much for taking the time here. I will definitely check this one out, and I did not know about the hard cover limitation. Appreciate it!

hotsht333

Reaction score
Keith
i've always liked the hard fiberglass cover , cost a little more but well worth it . just my opinion

Attachments

• 20190316_141120.jpg
    20190316_141120.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 20190316_141226.jpg
    20190316_141226.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 142

Bartbuds

Reaction score
Keith

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I’ve been really happy with my RetraxOne XR. Takes up 11” of the bed, but couldn’t be easier to open and close, locks in any position, and doesn’t cover up the back window. The XR series has T slots in the rails which are handy!

In a long bed, I think it’s a great option.

barr0208

Reaction score
I had the Truxedo truxport on my previous rams starting in 2010 put the same cover on a total of 3 rams 2010,2014,2016 9years and the cover is just starting to show wear.i had to give it up as it wont fit the 2019 new body bed.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Congrats on the truck! I debated on bed cover too, and ended up going with the Lomax tri-fold. Excellent choice for my needs. Crazy easy to install and use. Can be removed quickly, good since I don't want something folded over my back glass. Looks great on the truck. Enjoy your Ram!

Keith C

Reaction score
Congrats on the truck! I debated on bed cover too, and ended up going with the Lomax tri-fold. Excellent choice for my needs. Crazy easy to install and use. Can be removed quickly, good since I don't want something folded over my back glass. Looks great on the truck. Enjoy your Ram!
Thank you and appreciate a different option to check out here...appreciate it!

Keith C

Reaction score
I had the Truxedo truxport on my previous rams starting in 2010 put the same cover on a total of 3 rams 2010,2014,2016 9years and the cover is just starting to show wear.i had to give it up as it wont fit the 2019 new body bed.
Sounds tried and tested, and thanks for the feedback!

Keith C

Reaction score
I’ve been really happy with my RetraxOne XR. Takes up 11” of the bed, but couldn’t be easier to open and close, locks in any position, and doesn’t cover up the back window. The XR series has T slots in the rails which are handy!

In a long bed, I think it’s a great option.
Thank you, this is one I hadn’t come across yet...appreciate another good option to check out

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
If you go to truxedos website, they list dealers and locations.

A dealer close to me had 13 different working mini-models on display of the most popular tonneau covers on the market from several manufacturers. This gave me the opportunity to play with and see many options up front.

Maybe you can have the same experience.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Im in the same boat, want a soft cover trifold, could buy from dealer, prices vary but are from $700 installed. Anyone get the factory Ram tri-fold? Reviews? Oh, 5’7 bed length...

Mjrosay

Reaction score
I had an Extang Trifecta 2.0 Signature folding on my 17 Rebel. About to order one for my 19 Laramie. It was really perfect, and good price point. Three section folding, soft top.

I am surprised that one doesn’t come up more often because it really was so good.

Users who are viewing this thread