5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover advice

mcx6

Reaction score
I have attached a couple of pictures, I believe that you should be able to see were the cables are the one picture with the tailgate down. Let me know if you should have any other questions. If you are wondering, I do have a BedRug liner ordered, hate having a bare bed. Hope these pictures help.

Attachments

• 20190502_165028.jpg
    20190502_165028.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 20190502_165039.jpg
    20190502_165039.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 20190502_165104.jpg
    20190502_165104.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

J4U

Reaction score
Well.....parked on level ground and it still leaked exactly the same. Small leaks at the from corners near the cab, a few drips between the front and middle panels above the wheel wells on both sides, and a good sized leak in the rear left corner and minimal on the rear right corner. Just sooooo much gap between the tailgate and bedside.
I decided to take mine to the carwash and high pressure wash around the cover edges. Wand was about a foot away so it was pretty direct.

It didn't spray under the seal but it did find places to leak in at the front and down the sides a bit. Knew it would get in the back but was impressed it didn't go in above the tailgate.

I don't see leaks during normal rain storms or snow. It has leaks for sure but am pleased with how mine keeps a lot of the water out.

Here a few pics. Need to take cover off and wash bed...ha.

73b820da4b4832ff67272e19984296a9.jpg
49805ef1013522646d84066ff57125e8.jpg
6cb7886f8c2c745ef4996845b79c71d6.jpg
172036aa4c438f81231646726b6a27cb.jpg

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I decided to take mine to the carwash and high pressure wash around the cover edges. Wand was about a foot away so it was pretty direct.

It didn't spray under the seal but it did find places to leak in at the front and down the sides a bit. Knew it would get in the back but was impressed it didn't go in above the tailgate.

I don't see leaks during normal rain storms or snow. It has leaks for sure but am pleased with how mine keeps a lot of the water out.

Here a few pics. Need to take cover off and wash bed...ha.

73b820da4b4832ff67272e19984296a9.jpg
49805ef1013522646d84066ff57125e8.jpg
6cb7886f8c2c745ef4996845b79c71d6.jpg
172036aa4c438f81231646726b6a27cb.jpg

Just had a typical Florida rainstorm. Torrential downpour for about 20 mins. I parked on flat ground again. This was the worst one so far.

Attachments

• 5A3BD57F-DC44-4EAA-8852-CF6079FADF29.jpeg
    5A3BD57F-DC44-4EAA-8852-CF6079FADF29.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 107
  • D6464F87-3C03-4ACC-90D2-EFCACE3BF2F2.jpeg
    D6464F87-3C03-4ACC-90D2-EFCACE3BF2F2.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 110
  • 067D40FE-1DB0-4E72-AF92-F68EBC53536F.jpeg
    067D40FE-1DB0-4E72-AF92-F68EBC53536F.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 81C6FB76-7766-4B3E-A86C-4A24BAA4F17C.jpeg
    81C6FB76-7766-4B3E-A86C-4A24BAA4F17C.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 103

J4U

Reaction score
Just had a typical Florida rainstorm. Torrential downpour for about 20 mins. I parked on flat ground again. This was the worst one so far.

Especially since you are wanting to put that nice bed liner in...not good. I would say adjust the main rails down but that wouldn't help in the back tailgate area for that liner. Would destroy it eventually. Sorry it's not working out for you.

Have they done anything for that damaged rail you received? Guess it doesn't matter as the back is the main issue. Maybe get a return authorization and try an over the rail cover?

Wish the tailgate/side panel was designed a little better on the '19, just a huge elements gap.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I have attached a couple of pictures, I believe that you should be able to see were the cables are the one picture with the tailgate down. Let me know if you should have any other questions. If you are wondering, I do have a BedRug liner ordered, hate having a bare bed. Hope these pictures help.
This was exactly what I wanted to see, thank you so much! I will definitely be getting the Armor Flex now.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Especially since you are wanting to put that nice bed liner in...not good. I would say adjust the main rails down but that wouldn't help in the back tailgate area for that liner. Would destroy it eventually. Sorry it's not working out for you.

Have they done anything for that damaged rail you received? Guess it doesn't matter as the back is the main issue. Maybe get a return authorization and try an over the rail cover?

Wish the tailgate/side panel was designed a little better on the '19, just a huge elements gap.

I purposely bought it from Home Depot since they will return anything. Figured I would try them and if I liked it I would order from Luke or try and get them to price match him. I think I might just return it and try something else, but since the tailgate gap is the main issue I don't know what else to get. Pictures of other options such at the MX4 all look like the gap will be an issue there as well. I am shocked nobody else complains about this.

Any suggestions for an over the rail that will be better?

J4U

Reaction score
I purposely bought it from Home Depot since they will return anything. Figured I would try them and if I liked it I would order from Luke or try and get them to price match him. I think I might just return it and try something else, but since the tailgate gap is the main issue I don't know what else to get. Pictures of other options such at the MX4 all look like the gap will be an issue there as well. I am shocked nobody else complains about this.

Any suggestions for an over the rail that will be better?
Not much help there as I didn't even look at anything besides low-profile. With needing the ladder rack's I wanted a combo that was quick getting the configuration I needed without taking rails off/on.

I'm not positive but there was a difference in product numbers for the '19 with Lomax I think. Some other sites had a different part number and it didn't notate 2019 model year. Did yours come with cover protection for when it's folded up to 3/4? Basically just a sticker (which I removed anyway as one came off when removing snow and I just took the other three off). Probably just me remembering incorrectly as I had was looking everywhere trying to decide.

I purchased my combo from Agricover.com and they were great to work with and even followed up with me after my installation. Here are the part numbers:

Attachments

• Agricover.jpg
    Agricover.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 30

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not much help there as I didn't even look at anything besides low-profile. With needing the ladder rack's I wanted a combo that was quick getting the configuration I needed without taking rails off/on.

I'm not positive but there was a difference in product numbers for the '19 with Lomax I think. Some other sites had a different part number and it didn't notate 2019 model year. Did yours come with cover protection for when it's folded up to 3/4? Basically just a sticker (which I removed anyway as one came off when removing snow and I just took the other three off). Probably just me remembering incorrectly as I had was looking everywhere trying to decide.

I purchased my combo from Agricover.com and they were great to work with and even followed up with me after my installation. Here are the part numbers:

I called Agricover after I bought it and sent them the pictures of the leaks. They confirmed the Serial Number and sent me some rubber pieces that I know are for the Ram Box version. Pretty disappointed with their service. They seemed to care and want to help but their "help" was useless.

Reactions: J4U

Nightmare90gt

Reaction score
I went with the truck cover usa American roll cover because it has the smallest canister and can be opened without having to unlock it with the tailgate open. Little pricey but after the reviews and information I have researched I felt it was the best cover for my needs.

Keith C

Reaction score
Just want to let everyone know I wound up going with the Truxedo Sentry CT. Only real reason I bought the Sentry over the Pro x15 was we do get some heavy snow sometimes (I’m just north of NYC), and the Sentry would be less risk with the weight. I love the cover, looks great and is definitely sturdy. Also love the low profile. About 45 minutes to install, no real hassles there. Appreciate having this forum, thanks all!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just want to let everyone know I wound up going with the Truxedo Sentry CT. Only real reason I bought the Sentry over the Pro x15 was we do get some heavy snow sometimes (I’m just north of NYC), and the Sentry would be less risk with the weight. I love the cover, looks great and is definitely sturdy. Also love the low profile. About 45 minutes to install, no real hassles there. Appreciate having this forum, thanks all!

Awesome! Let us know how it does with water intrusion

FTWRam1500

Reaction score
Is it poss
The Lomax and the backflip...or any low-profile will have light coming in at the tailgate side due to the way the '19 is designed. Maybe the manufacturer's will make a change for the RAM's...not sure.

I really like my Lomax but have the light in the tailgate as depicted above. No other areas have light coming in and had to adjust the rails a couple times to get it that way. Lowering the rail helps with the seal.

Only time I get moisture in the bed is when power wash directly at it from the tail gate side. Have never had a problem with rain from above. The gap that allows the light in is from the design of the tailgate and side finish. Water seams to stay there and run straight on down and out.

I didn't want to prop up the cover as the backflip does against the cab. I just simply remove the cover if needed for full load requirements of the bed.

If I wanted complete enclosure for those gaps in the tailgate, I would have needed an above rail cover.

You say you can lower the rails, are you talking about the rails with the Cargo Management System? If so, how would you go about lowering them?

FTWRam1500

Reaction score
For all you Rambox owners, I installed the Retrax last weekend and can tell you it will not be watertight. I pretty much knew this going into it, because this is the second one I’ve owned. The old body Ram I had was also the rambox model, but this year the tolerances for seal on retrax seem to be more off and their customer service explained that dodge allows a pretty wide 3/4” tolerance for the rambox rails so it’s hard to manufacture with those specs. It’s a trade off, I wasn’t going to buy the truck without ramboxes as I grew too used to the functionality gains (for me) of having them. I bought the polycarbonate both times and am very happy with it, minus the premium you pay and the fact it leaks at the tailgate like a faucet, but it is what it is. I’m keeping it, love the look and the endless options for locking positions, but won’t keep items inside that water would be an issue. I can prob adjust it some more to make things slightly better but wanted to put this out there for potential buyers.
I just bought the Retrax, are your cargo management system rails set to high? Mine seem to be too high which doesn't allow the cover to set flush on the bulkhead and rails. Seems like it sits about 1/4" to high. Did you have this issue?

J4U

Reaction score
Is it poss

You say you can lower the rails, are you talking about the rails with the Cargo Management System? If so, how would you go about lowering them?
Negative...lowering the support rails for the low profile cover. I have the cargo management rails but this is also directed at non ram box installation. I don't have the ram box bed.

I mounted as suggested in directions and did a fitment. Then went back and lowered it again. Equally spaced clamps for rail is important. Using a 4 foot level helped, either match the truck bed (out of level) or insure truck bed is level.

Want to make sure the folding cover requires down pressure to get it under the catch at the front. The first section safety catch point as well as some pressure when latching it down at the tailgate. Too much pressure is not good either so adjust gradually. You'll know too much pressure if the tailgate doesn't release remotely or you feel like you may brake the string releasing the first section. I always push down a little bit in 1st section when releasing the safety catch before sliding it out from under the front.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Pressgrove

Reaction score

Rampat, something I noticed about your installation that may be affecting your seal. The way your clamps are installed is not consistent and can actually have a pretty big effect on the clamping force. In the attached photo (from your post), clamp A has significantly more clamping force than clamp B when the bolts are torqued the same. 1) The angle of A is better because the clamp sides are more parallel. 2) More importantly, the bolt is closer to what you want clamped. Clamp A applies more force to the rail, where more of clamp B's force is applied to the other end of the clamp.

I put mine on twice before I got it the way I wanted it, then removed and reinstalled when installing the Bedrug. Each time I think I got it a little better. I've only seen a little water around the tailgate after a high pressure car wash. Here's what I did......
  1. I installed the rails as low as possible so the seal around the bottom of the cover presses harder on the top of the bed sides.
  2. I clamped the rail temporarily with a set of vise-grip clamps (it takes very little force to hold it in place). I used a piece of rubber that came in the box to protect the truck and rail.
  3. I turned all of the clamps so they are as wide as possible at the bottom (the wider end of both sides of the clamp at the bottom). This makes the clamp sides almost parallel when installed.
  4. I pushed each clamp up as high as it would go so it was pinching as close to the top of the rail as possible.
  5. I slid each bolt up as high as I could get it without touching the rail.
Torquing was purely by feel, so I can't help you a lot there. I got them pretty tight, but didn't get too carried away.

Not to say that this will fix your problems, but may be worth a try before you pay out for another cover.

Annotation 2019-05-17 102923.png

Reactions: J4U

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
Second on Truxedo, I’m happy with my Sentry CT cover. I have pics of it posted somewhere here ;)

How did you pick between the Sentry and the Sentry CT? I am trying to find out what is the underlining differences between them. I can not find up close pictures of the different cover materials and I have not found a local dealer that carries both. And their website seems to use different marketing terms for the rest of the parts, like the slats.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you pick between the Sentry and the Sentry CT? I am trying to find out what is the underlining differences between them. I can not find up close pictures of the different cover materials and I have not found a local dealer that carries both. And their website seems to use different marketing terms for the rest of the parts, like the slats.
Well actually, I got mine from a member here who happened to live in the same town as me! I did read up Sentry products before going through with the sale, and I liked the matte look of the fabric on the CT, so I took it. I can get some good pics of it installed if it would help :giggle:

psyberai

Clinically Abnormal Attention Paid To This Truck
Reaction score
I picked it for matte look also. I also like how the aluminum backing was black as opposed to other brands.

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
Well actually, I got mine from a member here who happened to live in the same town as me! I did read up Sentry products before going through with the sale, and I liked the matte look of the fabric on the CT, so I took it. I can get some good pics of it installed if it would help :giggle:

That would be great! I am pretty convinced a Sentry is best for me. But not sure about the regular or the CT? I know what the vinyl looks like but I have not been able to see the CT up close. And can't really tell if there are other things different considering the list prices are different.

Users who are viewing this thread