5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover advice

Jst4kix

Reaction score
BAK revolver X4..great features..

Hello! Also a new Ram Owner. Just took receipt of a 2019 Limited w/ 6’4” bed last weekend. I’m very happy with the truck, but want covered storage for the bed. I’m currently considering the Revolver X4 because of the aluminum construction, matte finish, ability to retain use of the back window when rolled up, and ease of rolling/unrolling (one-person operation).

I’m hoping you could share your thoughts on the following items:

1. Water leakage? Are you happy with the protection the Revolver offers from the elements?
2. Ability to open and close the tailgate without opening the cover? I’ve read that this model allows for the tailgate to function without having to pop the top. Is this your experience as well?
3. Ease of installation? I’m old and out of shape, so I’ll probably have it professionally installed, but it would be good to know if I could futz with it if necessary.
4. Ease of operation? I want something that can be operated easily by one person, doesn’t get off-kilter as its being stowed, can be rolled-up/unfurled from outside the bed, etc.
5. Build quality? I’m willing to pay for a high-quality product that is durable and won’t dent / fade / experience binding issues / flap as I’m driving down the road / leak (as mentioned above), etc.
6. Profile? The pictures / YouTube videos I’ve seen make it look very sleek and low profile. And it seems to match the profile and appearance of our truck’s bed sides. I’d appreciate your thoughts.
7. Use in conjunction with the OEM bed rail system? I have the factory bed rails with their associated tie-down hooks installed. I want to ensure the rails used with the Revolver won’t impede the factory rails, or vice-versa. It doesn’t appear that they would as the OEM rails are quite recessed, but any real-world experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY A LOMAX!!! This thing sucks, I cannot figure out at all why all of the people on this forum like them.

It is flimsy aluminum, came damaged from factory, does not fold on itself well (I can see why the old style had seal problems....this one will too if you don’t baby it), and it leaks like crazy. I absolutely hate it.

Pictures below of damage, light coming in from the front corners, above both wheel wells, and the back corners have tons of light. Plus the water this morning after a light rain last night.

Attachments

• F57A2159-D8AD-43E0-806F-DD313E328911.jpeg
    F57A2159-D8AD-43E0-806F-DD313E328911.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 77
  • BADE2D57-E8AE-480C-B360-F2E77C3715FC.jpeg
    BADE2D57-E8AE-480C-B360-F2E77C3715FC.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 76
  • D5BC8FE0-5819-41F4-88FC-103F829CCE70.jpeg
    D5BC8FE0-5819-41F4-88FC-103F829CCE70.jpeg
    14.4 KB · Views: 72
  • A11E1C22-4E7E-4FCE-B6ED-9FFC2EC646D6.jpeg
    A11E1C22-4E7E-4FCE-B6ED-9FFC2EC646D6.jpeg
    14.4 KB · Views: 67
  • F367592C-2F37-4FE7-BE59-36B2F0E2732A.jpeg
    F367592C-2F37-4FE7-BE59-36B2F0E2732A.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 66
  • A7866799-6E21-4723-ACE4-BA8B5076A8EA.jpeg
    A7866799-6E21-4723-ACE4-BA8B5076A8EA.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 244CBB38-18FE-44C4-B56B-C934B09B8B1C.jpeg
    244CBB38-18FE-44C4-B56B-C934B09B8B1C.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 71
  • 2FFCFD89-9A2D-41FC-812F-C78013BA3BFA.jpeg
    2FFCFD89-9A2D-41FC-812F-C78013BA3BFA.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 75
  • 05EB4DF8-98D7-477B-9882-EEEF148E29CB.jpeg
    05EB4DF8-98D7-477B-9882-EEEF148E29CB.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 72

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you are looking for the a great rollup one, Access covers make the limited edition one, and I have had one on all my trucks I have ever owned (97, 03, 12, 19) you can cover items, it locks, and if you are out and need the access of the full bed, it rolls out of the way... View attachment 23429

Do you get any water coming in from the rear? I feel like the design flaps is the gap between the tailgate and the bedside. That line above the tail light and behind the stake pocket.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like and recommend the Retrax and it comes in power or non powered. Its awesome ans dry with load stabilizing when cargo as well when cover can be used to hold things in place suck as 2x4's and such handing out in bed of truck. On my 2nd one since 2014. The one on my 214 after 5 years was still like new condition!

Attachments

• IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 118

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like and recommend the Retrax and it comes in power or non powered. Its awesome ans dry with load stabilizing when cargo as well when cover can be used to hold things in place suck as 2x4's and such handing out in bed of truck. On my 2nd one since 2014. The one on my 214 after 5 years was still like new condition!

How much $$? Also can you confidently secure something large like a washer/dryer to the front with it all open? I guess I can live with the canister but would want to be able to still secure things towards the front of the bed. Also how wide is the canister?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much $$? Also can you confidently secure something large like a washer/dryer to the front with it all open? I guess I can live with the canister but would want to be able to still secure things towards the front of the bed. Also how wide is the canister?

If you look at the picture at from of bed its open in under the 7 inch canister. Also....I just hauled a new washer couple of weeks ago and placed in the bed with ease on a 5.7 bed. Another thing I moved the washer to the rear of the bed and then powered retrax cover up against the washer to secure it with out having to use any straps or even move any things stored under the canister from blowing out. The cost of one depends upon what one you want.....you can get poly-carbonate cover powered or unpowered and you can get an Aluminum cover powered and unpowered.All covers are lockable with powere not needing a manual lock, no drilling of any thing on any models......Go to www.Retrax.com and check them out from 1300 dollars and up depending on model and what you want.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you look at the picture at from of bed its open in under the 7 inch canister. Also....I just hauled a new washer couple of weeks ago and placed in the bed with ease on a 5.7 bed. Another thing I moved the washer to the rear of the bed and then powered retrax cover up against the washer to secure it with out having to use any straps or even move any things stored under the canister from blowing out. The cost of one depends upon what one you want.....you can get poly-carbonate cover powered or unpowered and you can get an Aluminum cover powered and unpowered.All covers are lockable with powere not needing a manual lock, no drilling of any thing on any models......Go to www.Retrax.com and check them out from 1300 dollars and up depending on model and what you want.

Thanks man. I know I don’t need power, but what are the pros and cons of poly-carbonate vs aluminum? Are there any vendors who have these cheaper like Luke does for Lomax?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks man. I know I don’t need power, but what are the pros and cons of poly-carbonate vs aluminum? Are there any vendors who have these cheaper like Luke does for Lomax?

Not sure about Luke? But retrax has non-powered that are key lockable as well. My first powered was in 2014 Poly carbonate and loved it. This one now is powered aluminum and I really cant tell much difference. The poly is a little lighter but both work great and dry with ease to put on your truck. Secure your loads as well. I had many soft and hard covers one could open with knife and when they get cold cant get back on... Over the years I had a retractable cover by" pace edwards" which was horrible....had a manual "roll n lock" that was awesome then sold it and bought the powered "roll n lock" and it was total junk! Retrax works in all weather,dry,durable,looks good,easy install,great customer support and parts if needed, USA made in North Dakota. Good luck to you no matter what you get!

cotonymopar

Reaction score
Do you get any water coming in from the rear? I feel like the design flaps is the gap between the tailgate and the bedside. That line above the tail light and behind the stake pocket.

I have one small one towards the cab, will be working on sealing that soon but nothing at the tailgate

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I would second this for someone looking for a roll-up. My previous truck had a 15-year-old Access cover that was just starting to show some age. In many years of ownership, I only had to replace velcro strips.

I had to only do that for the first one I ever had, for my 97 ram.. the 02 and the 12 ram I had for the whole time I had my truck, and never had a problem... Customer service is second to none.

41magmag41

Reaction score
The extang is an excellent trifold cover and I had one on my 2014 tacoma, which my son now owns. I decided this time around I didn't want to spend close to $500 on a trifold cover because I wanted to add other goodies to the truck. This time out I went with the American Tonneau trifold cover. I am pleased with it at half the cost of the extang my only concern is I feel the canvas is a little lighter than the extang but time will tell on its lasting as well at the extang.

J4U

Reaction score
The Lomax and the backflip...or any low-profile will have light coming in at the tailgate side due to the way the '19 is designed. Maybe the manufacturer's will make a change for the RAM's...not sure.

I really like my Lomax but have the light in the tailgate as depicted above. No other areas have light coming in and had to adjust the rails a couple times to get it that way. Lowering the rail helps with the seal.

Only time I get moisture in the bed is when power wash directly at it from the tail gate side. Have never had a problem with rain from above. The gap that allows the light in is from the design of the tailgate and side finish. Water seams to stay there and run straight on down and out.

I didn't want to prop up the cover as the backflip does against the cab. I just simply remove the cover if needed for full load requirements of the bed.

If I wanted complete enclosure for those gaps in the tailgate, I would have needed an above rail cover.

Not a great design with the tailgate on the 19's. Even when ordering the combo they mentioned they weren't sure how the fitment would be. Getting both the Lomax and adarac at same time there was a substantial discount. Still pricey for just a cover but wasn't needing just a cover.

Since I use ladder rack's often I was limited to a low profile option and chose the Lomax/adarak ladder system. So easy to pick which setup I want and have never had moisture issues with product inside.

No cover
Low Profile cover full
Low Profile cover 2/3's access
Low Profile cover and ladder rack's.

Any one of those four options I can be ready to go in a few minutes. Adding or removing the racks adds 10 minutes but still pretty quick and easy. Can still utilize any setup of the cover with the racks on too.

Will post some pictures of the various layouts when I get back in town.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Lomax and the backflip...or any low-profile will have light coming in at the tailgate side due to the way the '19 is designed. Maybe the manufacturer's will make a change for the RAM's...not sure.

I really like my Lomax but have the light in the tailgate as depicted above. No other areas have light coming in and had to adjust the rails a couple times to get it that way. Lowering the rail helps with the seal.

Only time I get moisture in the bed is when power wash directly at it from the tail gate side. Have never had a problem with rain from above. The gap that allows the light in is from the design of the tailgate and side finish. Water seams to stay there and run straight on down and out.

I didn't want to prop up the cover as the backflip does against the cab. I just simply remove the cover if needed for full load requirements of the bed.

If I wanted complete enclosure for those gaps in the tailgate, I would have needed an above rail cover.

Not a great design with the tailgate on the 19's. Even when ordering the combo they mentioned they weren't sure how the fitment would be. Getting both the Lomax and adarac at same time there was a substantial discount. Still pricey for just a cover but wasn't needing just a cover.

Since I use ladder rack's often I was limited to a low profile option and chose the Lomax/adarak ladder system. So easy to pick which setup I want and have never had moisture issues with product inside.

No cover
Low Profile cover full
Low Profile cover 2/3's access
Low Profile cover and ladder rack's.

Any one of those four options I can be ready to go in a few minutes. Adding or removing the racks adds 10 minutes but still pretty quick and easy. Can still utilize any setup of the cover with the racks on too.

Will post some pictures of the various layouts when I get back in town.

I completely agree and have come to the same conclusion. Bad RAM design. Only way to fix that problem is an over the rails cover. I will get in there and tighten the rails up to negate the other light areas but I have no idea what to do in the rear. I can get stake pocket covers (baffles my mind why this truck has them by the cab but not in the rear) but I don't think that will make a difference. The main difference for me is that my driveway has a decent incline to it and I back in so the water doesn't just run down and out like you say. I can't really pull in because it is a tight 2-car driveway and my Truck and my Wife's Chevy Traverse are both too big to fit in the garage so we park next to each other and backing in is the only way I can open my door.

Reactions: J4U

J4U

Reaction score
I completely agree and have come to the same conclusion. Bad RAM design. Only way to fix that problem is an over the rails cover. I will get in there and tighten the rails up to negate the other light areas but I have no idea what to do in the rear. I can get stake pocket covers (baffles my mind why this truck has them by the cab but not in the rear) but I don't think that will make a difference. The main difference for me is that my driveway has a decent incline to it and I back in so the water doesn't just run down and out like you say. I can't really pull in because it is a tight 2-car driveway and my Truck and my Wife's Chevy Traverse are both too big to fit in the garage so we park next to each other and backing in is the only way I can open my door.
Makes total sense and can see how that could lead to water getting in on an incline facing downwards.

I dropped my rails a little lower than what they recommended. Takes a little more force to lock in the front piece but it seems a little more secure and seal better. Tailgate side is not as hard to snap down but helps back there too.

Mines not water proof but happy with it knowing it wouldn't be.

Hope you can get it a little more resistant to water instrusion. Good luck

mcx6

Reaction score
I purchased an UnderCover ArmorFlex, like the Line-Ex exterior, like having the whole bed access, with folding 3rd panel, happy with it.

NDRam

Reaction score
Access Larado installed by my Line-X dealer is great. Ran in the rain this past weekend and there was NO water leakage into the bed.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes total sense and can see how that could lead to water getting in on an incline facing downwards.

I dropped my rails a little lower than what they recommended. Takes a little more force to lock in the front piece but it seems a little more secure and seal better. Tailgate side is not as hard to snap down but helps back there too.

Mines not water proof but happy with it knowing it wouldn't be.

Hope you can get it a little more resistant to water instrusion. Good luck
I’m going to park it on the street the next time it is supposed to rain and see how it goes. I have a feeling I won’t have any water instruction while driving so luggage and such won’t be an issue. I just can’t leave anything unprotected in the truck overnight.

Reactions: J4U

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well.....parked on level ground and it still leaked exactly the same. Small leaks at the from corners near the cab, a few drips between the front and middle panels above the wheel wells on both sides, and a good sized leak in the rear left corner and minimal on the rear right corner. Just sooooo much gap between the tailgate and bedside.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I purchased an UnderCover ArmorFlex, like the Line-Ex exterior, like having the whole bed access, with folding 3rd panel, happy with it.
That's the one I've been looking at. Do you have any pictures of it on your truck? Also, how close does the rear cable latch system ride up against the tailgate? I know with the older BakFlip models similar to this, they were into the bed area a bit further, so a knowledgeable crook can jimmy into it and have plenty of slack to grab onto the cable with a tool to open it. This could be resolved if the cable link system were up against the tailgate, so there's no way to jimmy a tool into there.

TMD78

Reaction score
For all you Rambox owners, I installed the Retrax last weekend and can tell you it will not be watertight. I pretty much knew this going into it, because this is the second one I’ve owned. The old body Ram I had was also the rambox model, but this year the tolerances for seal on retrax seem to be more off and their customer service explained that dodge allows a pretty wide 3/4” tolerance for the rambox rails so it’s hard to manufacture with those specs. It’s a trade off, I wasn’t going to buy the truck without ramboxes as I grew too used to the functionality gains (for me) of having them. I bought the polycarbonate both times and am very happy with it, minus the premium you pay and the fact it leaks at the tailgate like a faucet, but it is what it is. I’m keeping it, love the look and the endless options for locking positions, but won’t keep items inside that water would be an issue. I can prob adjust it some more to make things slightly better but wanted to put this out there for potential buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread