5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire question and recs

smashweights

Reaction score
A bit disappointed. Only 28k miles. Noticed the tires are wearing quite unevenly, most of the tires have heavy outer edge/toe wear but this one is by far the worst. Lots of good tread life left on the mid and inner edge of the tires. I think it goes without question the bald edge tire needs replaced. Having previously had AWD cars I've always gotten all 4 done at the same time. I assume I should do the same on a 4x4? Definitely need an alignment, yes?

Also looking for recs on tires. Stock 20" Limited rims. 98% road/highway driving. A bit of deep beach sand driving. Occasionally drive back to the Midwest so a bit of cold weather performance appreciates. Only complaint with the stock Duelers was they would spin on wet pavement a bit.

Attachments

• PXL_20210906_141849848.jpg
    PXL_20210906_141849848.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 131
  • PXL_20210906_142549861.jpg
    PXL_20210906_142549861.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
There is definitely an alignment issue. Underinflation would show on both edges. Look long and hard at the before and after readings on the alignment printout. Make sure they made significant changes. And don't be surprised if they come back and say you have a bent control arm or something that needs replacement before they can align it. If it's on the side with the wear, it's probably the truth.

Sorry, I have no tire recommendations.

smashweights

Reaction score
There is definitely an alignment issue. Underinflation would show on both edges. Look long and hard at the before and after readings on the alignment printout. Make sure they made significant changes. And don't be surprised if they come back and say you have a bent control arm or something that needs replacement before they can align it. If it's on the side with the wear, it's probably the truth.

Sorry, I have no tire recommendations.

Unfortunately just had the tires rotated after about 9-10k miles, not sure what spot that tire was when it wore

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So my neighbor suggested the edge bald tire would be fine to keep just get the alignment done so no progression. Any thoughts?
That first pic is pretty severe and I would beg to differ. It's not his family driving around in your truck.....

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
To be honest I wouldn’t get all new tires yet. It wore a small portion of the tire off but you still have so much good tread left on the rest of the tire youll be perfectly safe in my opinion. You rotated the tires which is good, now wait til the current tire in that position wears like that too. Then when you go to rotate again get an alignment and throw the two tires that wore weird on the rear that way your front two stay good. Idk that’s not based on fact that’s just what I would do!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
To be honest I wouldn’t get all new tires yet. It wore a small portion of the tire off but you still have so much good tread left on the rest of the tire youll be perfectly safe in my opinion. You rotated the tires which is good, now wait til the current tire in that position wears like that too. Then when you go to rotate again get an alignment and throw the two tires that wore weird on the rear that way your front two stay good. Idk that’s not based on fact that’s just what I would do!
Not sure I 100% agree. That one section is SO worn down, it could be a safety issue. I would look at replacing that tire.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure I 100% agree. That one section is SO worn down, it could be a safety issue. I would look at replacing that tire.
True. That’s why I think it would be better at the rear of the truck where you’re not relying on that section to grip in a corner really. Maybe even air up the tire a little more so it’s less likely to ride on the edge and get some more miles out of it. I hate to say it but in the past when I was broke I’ve driven on tires wayyy worse than that and I luckily never had an issue. A 1” section like that wouldn’t scare me too much lol.

XmikeX

Reaction score
Looks like you'll have secondary rubber coming through soon and I would change it as soon as you can.

smashweights

Reaction score
Would you all just swap two tires? Or maybe see if a dealer has a single take off of similar wear? These are the stock Dueler H/L. Most of the tires have a little bit of similar wear but nothing like that one. All look like they have another 15k miles on the rest of the tread

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Would you all just swap two tires? Or maybe see if a dealer has a single take off of similar wear? These are the stock Dueler H/L. Most of the tires have a little bit of similar wear but nothing like that one. All look like they have another 15k miles on the rest of the tread
I would replace the two and call it a day. Not worth the risk my friend...but as a famous person once said..."DO YOU FEEL LUCKY PUNK?"

XmikeX

Reaction score
With so many tire shops around and the internet idk why dealerships continue to give out bad information and tell people blatantly wrong things

smashweights

Reaction score
Update: so I went ahead and left the tires on for another 5k miles since the OP, upped the cold inflation pressure from 36 to 38, and had an alignment done 4k miles ago. The worst tire in the original post is currently the rear passenger tire and looks to have not changed. The front passenger side, however, is significantly worse and shown below. None of the other wheels have any worse shoulder wear. I am thinking they all got some wear whenever they were in the front passenger position and some were there longer than others...

If I'm reading the alignment report from the dealer correctly the alignment was normal and nothing was not changed, is that correct?

What else would cause this?

Attachments

• PXL_20220521_183039968.jpg
    PXL_20220521_183039968.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20220521_173243800.jpg
    PXL_20220521_173243800.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 46

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’m no expert but my guess is there’s some suspension component bent or something like that. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in

Jake103

Reaction score
Are those the factory tires? I have heard the factory tires on these 2019+ Rams are junk. Such as the sidewalls not being stiff enough for the truck it actually wears the outer edges due to the tires sidewall not being stiff enough for the weight of the truck. I know there are other forums around here about it. Usually the tires from the factory on most cars/truck are about the bare minimum to just pass as safe, most manufactures get the cheapest tire possible. Your alignment looks good toe is a little positive for me. Still in spec though and not enough to where you would be wearing a tire that bad. If you had a bent suspension component it would show in the alignment.Just from what I seen on other postings on the forum and talking to some of my old mechanic Co workers/buddies some guys replaced the tires and never had a problem after.

Last edited:

smashweights

Reaction score
Yes, those are the stock Dueler H/L Alenza tires. If it were the tires being to soft I would think both fronts would wear like that unless I make a lot more left turns than right turns. I have a new set of Continental TerrainContact H/T XL that just arrived. Debating if I should take it back in to get the suspension evaluated or just watch that new front tire like a hawk afterwards...

smashweights

Reaction score
Took the truck in to replace tires at a national tire center. Had about 5/32" left on the stock Duelers other than the edge wear. Had them throw the alignment check on an the toe was still a bit off, which they fixed.

The new Continental TerrainContact H/T in stock size and 117H XL are so far a nice upgrade. Very quiet, smooth ride, sharper and easier steering without feeling soggy. Almost feels a little floaty. Otherwise really like them after first impressions. 2lbs lighter than the Duelers so hopefully equal or better on economy.

Attachments

• PXL_20220528_211054215.jpg
    PXL_20220528_211054215.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20220528_211929488.jpg
    PXL_20220528_211929488.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 55

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took the truck in to replace tires at a national tire center. Had about 5/32" left on the stock Duelers other than the edge wear. Had them throw the alignment check on an the toe was still a bit off, which they fixed.

The new Continental TerrainContact H/T in stock size and 117H XL are so far a nice upgrade. Very quiet, smooth ride, sharper and easier steering without feeling soggy. Almost feels a little floaty. Otherwise really like them after first impressions. 2lbs lighter than the Duelers so hopefully equal or better on economy.

Have you driven through any heavy rain on the highway yet or have experience to share in regards to hydroplaning? I’m torn between the AT & the HT but I’m mainly on the highway very often for work travel. We do have a separate gravel driveway that goes down to the shop though which is why I’ve been thinking a light AT like the Conti’s.

Ramintime

Reaction score
A bit disappointed. Only 28k miles. Noticed the tires are wearing quite unevenly, most of the tires have heavy outer edge/toe wear but this one is by far the worst. Lots of good tread life left on the mid and inner edge of the tires. I think it goes without question the bald edge tire needs replaced. Having previously had AWD cars I've always gotten all 4 done at the same time. I assume I should do the same on a 4x4? Definitely need an alignment, yes?

Also looking for recs on tires. Stock 20" Limited rims. 98% road/highway driving. A bit of deep beach sand driving. Occasionally drive back to the Midwest so a bit of cold weather performance appreciates. Only complaint with the stock Duelers was they would spin on wet pavement a bit.
Yea Bridgestone and Goodyear stock tires are trash. Look into the Falken Wildepeak Trail tires, or even the Wildpeak AT3W's. I just put the new Pirelli scorpion AT plus tires on my 2017 Ram a couple weeks ago.
20220718_172334.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread