5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire question and recs

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea Bridgestone and Goodyear stock tires are trash. Look into the Falken Wildepeak Trail tires, or even the Wildpeak AT3W's. I just put the new Pirelli scorpion AT plus tires on my 2017 Ram a couple weeks ago.
View attachment 136066

I like how the tread on those has little “P” and “S” lugs (Pirelli Scorpion).

And The Bridgestone Revo3 tread is comprised of “B”’s.

Tire people getting cute.

Ramintime

Reaction score
I like how the tread on those has little “P” and “S” lugs (Pirelli Scorpion).

And The Bridgestone Revo3 tread is comprised of “B”’s.

Tire people getting cute.
Lol yea its getting to be a little much. Next it'll be circle tread to let you know it's a tire :))

smashweights

Reaction score
Have you driven through any heavy rain on the highway yet or have experience to share in regards to hydroplaning? I’m torn between the AT & the HT but I’m mainly on the highway very often for work travel. We do have a separate gravel driveway that goes down to the shop though which is why I’ve been thinking a light AT like the Conti’s.

Yes, we live in the Gulf coast and there's 2-4" standing water all over the place constantly. They don't budge. I haven't spun them yet, which was a big complaint with the stock Duelers as they would spin from a stop on damp pavement even with light throttle. I love them so far though the ride is a little bit harsher with the XL rated tires.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, we live in the Gulf coast and there's 2-4" standing water all over the place constantly. They don't budge. I haven't spun them yet, which was a big complaint with the stock Duelers as they would spin from a stop on damp pavement even with light throttle. I love them so far though the ride is a little bit harsher with the XL rated tires.

Thanks for the feedback! Harsher meaning the air suspension may have taken a slight hit? I’m going down to 20” wheels also when it’s time. Curious if they have one rated a step down from XL available or if the AT does as well. I’ll drive 60k per year so maybe try each set out one after the other, but still not sure what to start with - might depend on if the stock Pirelli’s are done before this winter or not.

smashweights

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Harsher meaning the air suspension may have taken a slight hit? I’m going down to 20” wheels also when it’s time. Curious if they have one rated a step down from XL available or if the AT does as well. I’ll drive 60k per year so maybe try each set out one after the other, but still not sure what to start with - might depend on if the stock Pirelli’s are done before this winter or not.
Meaning bumps are a little more noticeable, but not by much. Could get the H/T in the SL rating instead of XL and might negate that. Only difference should be sidewall stiffness and thus a slight difference in steering response. These are WAY better than the Duelers in steering

Gregg

Reaction score
Yea Bridgestone and Goodyear stock tires are trash. Look into the Falken Wildepeak Trail tires, or even the Wildpeak AT3W's. I just put the new Pirelli scorpion AT plus tires on my 2017 Ram a couple weeks ago.
View attachment 136066
Those are great tires! Quiet and acceptable drop in mileage to the stock Bridgestone highway tires. I run mine at 50 cold

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those are great tires! Quiet and acceptable drop in mileage to the stock Bridgestone highway tires. I run mine at 50 cold

50 cold on the Pirelli’s? I’d imagine at that high that yeah, you should definitely see better mileage due to the rolling factor. Do you have coil or air rear suspension? I have those same tires that came stock on my Limited this time - MUCH better than the stock Goodyears on the Laramie I had prior. I’m high 30’s cold, low 40’s hot.

Gregg

Reaction score
50 cold on the Pirelli’s? I’d imagine at that high that yeah, you should definitely see better mileage due to the rolling factor. Do you have coil or air rear suspension? I have those same tires that came stock on my Limited this time - MUCH better than the stock Goodyears on the Laramie I had prior. I’m high 30’s cold, low 40’s hot.
I like them stiffer for steering precision (lateral compliance) and prefer a controlled, sporty ride overall. I'm on coils and get 18mpg with mixed highway/city driving. Saw about a 2mpg drop from the OE Bridgestones (a non-LT tire)

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like them stiffer for steering precision (lateral compliance) and prefer a controlled, sporty ride overall. I'm on coils and get 18mpg with mixed highway/city driving. Saw about a 2mpg drop from the OE Bridgestones (a non-LT tire)

Thanks! I just realized I misread the original comment also - I have the Scorpion Verde All Season, not the All Terrain. Still might be worth upping my psi a bit to see how it handles.

Ramintime

Reaction score
The Pirelli Scorpion Plus? Awesome off road, haven't tried them in snow yet. I have the regular P rated so I cant do 50 psi. 44 is the max on sidewall so I leave them at about 38psi cold. I think the Wildpeak AT3Ws I had were smoother on the highway though.

Ramintime

Reaction score
That's pretty good if you're running a LT tire now

Gregg

Reaction score
The Pirelli Scorpion Plus? Awesome off road, haven't tried them in snow yet. I have the regular P rated so I cant do 50 psi. 44 is the max on sidewall so I leave them at about 38psi cold. I think the Wildpeak AT3Ws I had were smoother on the highway though.
Yes, the Scorpion A/T Plus. Good to know on highway ride for the Falkens. But they're about $100 more per tire in comparison to the Pirellis. Yikes!

Ramintime

Reaction score
Yes, the Scorpion A/T Plus. Good to know on highway ride for the Falkens. But they're about $100 more per tire in comparison to the Pirellis. Yikes!
Here in Vegas they were $15 more each over the Pirelli's. But I was already over budget and wanted to try the Scorpions lol. But every time I'm about to buy new tires...I check Amazon and have Discount Tire do a price match. Works every time.

Users who are viewing this thread