5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to tow

Ksilva211

Reaction score
I thought I had a big *** trailer...looks like you got me beat! Haha
Haha! I actually want to down size just for ease of getting in and out of sites. The box of the camper is 36’ so with tongue, bumper, etc it’s prob about 40 which limits are options on sites unfortunately.

Reactions: Laz

Laz

Reaction score
Haha! I actually want to down size just for ease of getting in and out of sites. The box of the camper is 36’ so with tongue, bumper, etc it’s prob about 40 which limits are options on sites unfortunately.
Is it a LITE or XLite? Mine is not, it's full size heavy lol...and mine is 33ft box and another 3 - 3 1/2' w the tongue. Maneuvering is always tricky w these but I do pull thrus at sites, no more backing in crap for me. People park crazy and therefore limit the space u have to back in your rig at some places, so I dont take chances anymore.

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Is it a LITE or XLite? Mine is not, it's full size heavy lol...and mine is 33ft box and another 3 - 3 1/2' w the tongue. Maneuvering is always tricky w these but I do pull thrus at sites, no more backing in crap for me. People park crazy and therefore limit the space u have to back in your rig at some places, so I dont take chances anymore.
It is a lite. I’d have to double check but I think it is about 7k empty and close to 9-10k loaded

Laz

Reaction score
I'm also looking at trading in our TT and getting a 35-45ft motorhome. I started shopping today matter of fact...and tow the Ram behind or our SUV. We shall see

Laz

Reaction score
I
It is a lite. I’d have to double check but I think it is about 7k empty and close to 9-10k loaded
Was at 4000 rpm going us some steep hills a couple times, other than that I was at 2k-2500rpms and doing 62-67mph...and a few times found myself doing 70-72mph so I let off accelerator. It does tow easily

Reactions: 356

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Laz, thank you for your posts...this is they kind of real world information that is helpful. My wife is hinting that she would like us to get a travel trailer--I'm hesitating because we don't use our cabin as often as I would like due to time constraints, and I don't have a place to park a trailer (gee, I've only got 70 acres--but nothing is flat). In the end, I'll likely end up with a travel trailer :) but in the 20' range.

Either way (TT or not), I'll get the Timbrens, as the back end of my 2012 squatted a bit when towing the tractor/ implements and four passengers. Even with the squat, it towed well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-09-05 05.05.20.png
    Screenshot 2018-09-05 05.05.20.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 30

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Laz, thank you for your posts...this is they kind of real world information that is helpful. My wife is hinting that she would like us to get a travel trailer--I'm hesitating because we don't use our cabin as often as I would like due to time constraints, and I don't have a place to park a trailer (gee, I've only got 70 acres--but nothing is flat). In the end, I'll likely end up with a travel trailer :) but in the 20' range.

Either way (TT or not), I'll get the Timbrens, as the back end of my 2012 squatted a bit when towing the tractor/ implements and four passengers. Even with the squat, it towed well.
I used a 2014 quad cab 5.7 hemi 4x4 ram to tow a 28, end to end measurement, travel trailer. I used a weight equalizing hitch and I installed sumo springs which function the same way as the timbrens and the truck and trailer traveled level and stayed true to directional reference. The sumo springs that I used on the 14 ram made contact 100 percent of the time and the ride was definitely firmer. I was looking at adding front spring support also before I decided to get a 19 ram. By the way, I used to tow horse trailers in the eighties with one ton trucks. People that do not know the difference, cannot fully appreciate the comfort and luxury of contemporary trucks. The 2019 rides so smooth that I am glad I found this discussion about the timbrens because they only make contact when weight is added. I will add an update after I install the timbrens.

Last edited:

Laz

Reaction score

Looks pretty good to me, very little sag from what I see but timbrens will hold firm...just be sure to go w 8600lbs capacity

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me, very little sag from what I see but timbrens will hold firm...just be sure to go w 8600lbs capacity
I ordered and received the 8600 timbrens, I took a picture of the stock rubber bumper vs the diameter of the timbren. They might be millimeters apart in difference.

Attachments

• tembrin.jpeg
    tembrin.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55

Laz

Reaction score
I ordered and received the 8600 timbrens, I took a picture of the stock rubber bumper vs the diameter of the timbren. They might be millimeters apart in difference.
Yes, definitely a difference there...lol. takes about 15 minutes to do both sides since it's only 1 nut and bolt.

Laz

Reaction score
Hey Laz, we picked up a 19 big horn, 4x4, hemi, no etorque, and also the 3.21 gears. We purchased this prior to determining we are considering buying a 26-30ft travel trailer. What exactly are the timbrens you are referring to? Will my stock truck pull it ok, and how horrible was the gas mileage?

Thanks!
Hows it going w your new truck and trailer Nj921? Got any pics?? Hope all is well...

Nj921

Reaction score
Hows it going w your new truck and trailer Nj921? Got any pics?? Hope all is well...
The truck is great, no complaints. We decided to hold off on the trailer til spring time. Our second child is due next Wednesday, and we wont have any time to get out with one this season so I am holding off on the expense until then. Also, knowing very very little about travel trailers, I haven't had much luck finding what we are going to buy. I think the RV show is in February here, so we will definitely go and see them in person.

Laz

Reaction score
The truck is great, no complaints. We decided to hold off on the trailer til spring time. Our second child is due next Wednesday, and we wont have any time to get out with one this season so I am holding off on the expense until then. Also, knowing very very little about travel trailers, I haven't had much luck finding what we are going to buy. I think the RV show is in February here, so we will definitely go and see them in person.
Congratulations to you and the Mrs...and glad you are happy w your truck. If you didnt know theres a channel on Dish and directv called GAC (Great American Channel) I'm sure it's on cable provider too but it has a show I watch often called Going Rv and it is pretty cool and helps give u a better understanding and ideas as to what works and wont work for you that you might not have thought of otherwise. Good luck

Nj921

Reaction score
Congratulations to you and the Mrs...and glad you are happy w your truck. If you didnt know theres a channel on Dish and directv called GAC (Great American Channel) I'm sure it's on cable provider too but it has a show I watch often called Going Rv and it is pretty cool and helps give u a better understanding and ideas as to what works and wont work for you that you might not have thought of otherwise. Good luck
Thanks man, I do appreciate it. And I do have directv I will have to check it out, thanks for the tip!

Laz

Reaction score
Thanks man, I do appreciate it. And I do have directv I will have to check it out, thanks for the tip!
You can do the whole narrowing down process from home haha....and no worries bud. Have a good one

USMC0351

Reaction score
Nice! We have a Wildwood 27DBK that we took down to NC a couple months ago from PA - Sway was really bad down and back. Hoping it was because we didn't adjust the ball height on the hitch which was set up for the '13 Laramie. Another trip next weekend to see if it rides any better.

Users who are viewing this thread