5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to tow

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Well I’ve owned the truck for a week today and just jumped over the 500 mile mark (they recommend not towing until after that). I know a lot of miles in a week but I can’t keep myself out of this thing ?. So I’m gonna put it to work at some point this week. I’m thinking mid week. I have a dump trailer and I need to get a couple loads of stone and loam. Let’s see how she does working!! I have to go into it with an open mind coming from the diesel but I think it will do just fine. Excited to see the air ride leveling at work

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Ksilva211 very interested to hear your results. These new 1500s are near as capable as my Ole V10 2500 and with all the advancements I am very anxious to hear your opinion.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely keep us updated, would really like to know how it handles the trailer. It should type it just fine although it might not be as effortless as you're used to with a diesel.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I am anxious to hear about this as much as I am for new HD info.

It sure is interesting to read about people wanting to know how 22's look and feel and how loud or not loud the radio is and what color looks best in the sunlight
1f609.png
but by gosh I am ready to see how this truck works
1f61b.png

Is it time yet
1f61c.png

icon_lol.gif
1f44d.png

Ksilva211

Reaction score
I am just as interested as you guys are to see how it goes. I will def keep you posted. It’s first tow although short distance will be at about its max tow capacity

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am anxiously awaiting your thoughts on this. It is one thing to watch it work, very interested in knowing how it Feels.

I am going to look up what truck you have, but if you have air suspension did you see the video about using it to ease hooking up your trailer. And if you don't, well either way let us know if it was an easy hook.

I have my 4 year old help me, he is pretty experienced at it, but I sure enjoy the ease the new Ram seems to do that task.

Good luck with the tow.
263a.png

Ksilva211

Reaction score
So I had a chance to do some light towing yesterday. I’m not exactly sure what my weight of the truck is but I went across a scale towing just my dump trailer and I was at 9200 pounds. I then grabbed 3 yards of mulch in the trailer but didn’t go back across the scales because there was a line. I’m guessing the mulch was around 1000# a yard? Because it was pretty wet from the rain we had. So if I had to take a wild guess I had around 6k# in tow roughly. I ran out of time to go back and grab the stone I needed which will pretty much put me around 11k I’m guessing when I get it hopefully today I will have time. But overall I was very pleased with how it towed. Held the gears well no searching no sway tracked nice. So far im pleased with it air ride is awesome!

Ksilva211

Reaction score
I have the 3.92s and I had a chance to tow a little more weight today. Didn’t get on the scale but I’m guessing around 4 Ton of stone plus the Trailer. So probably between 11-12k total. Air ride leveled right out. Towed awesome. Power was decent. Not a diesel but I knew that going in. Overall I’m very pleased

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I never really thought much for the air suspension. But am now thinking it may be something I get as I have learned more about it. Glad thinking hear that it towed the heavier load fine too.

Thanks for the update.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
devildodge said:
I never really thought much for the air suspension. But am now thinking it may be something I get as I have learned more about it. Glad thinking hear that it towed the heavier load fine too.

Thanks for the update.
I would like it too but I have heard issues with it in cold climates and the cold months. Also, I would imagine it would be expensive to repair after the warranty expires.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
alacombe said:
I would like it too but I have heard issues with it in cold climates and the cold months. Also, I would imagine it would be expensive to repair after the warranty expires.
That's the whole reason I keep my 2003 and 1999. I am getting tired of worrying what can go wrong. Big downside to my 2013. Why I have been hesitant to get another...but this Gen has so much more to offer than them all. And i am hopeful that they worked out some of the issues with it. Hopeful.

This 1500 is more capable than 2500 of the past. I am still holding out for another 2500...but this 1500 is very impressive so far...and all the goodies and treats haven't been released yet.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
devildodge said:
That's the whole reason I keep my 2003 and 1999. I am getting tired of worrying what can go wrong. Big downside to my 2013. Why I have been hesitant to get another...but this Gen has so much more to offer than them all. And i am hopeful that they worked out some of the issues with it. Hopeful.

This 1500 is more capable than 2500 of the past. I am still holding out for another 2500...but this 1500 is very impressive so far...and all the goodies and treats haven't been released yet.
You could buy a '15-'18 F150 and have the doors fail to unlock/latch when it's cold out! An issue they have yet to fully resolve!!!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
to elaborate on what I meant. My 2013 has had a few minor issues. Parts availability availability and a terrible dealership make me appreciate being able to wrench on my own trucks with plentiful parts.

And with this being a new model and some things to sort out...makes me nervous to go all in. Right now I am thinking a 2018 looks like the best deal. But i would rather just wait and see.

Besides Heavy Duty info is coming,just have to be patient... (as I remind myself this for the hundredth time today as I watch all the guys getting excited about their DT)
1f62b.png
1f628.png
1f914.png
263a.png

And fords, well I enjoy seeing them have issues
1f609.png

immersivenc

Reaction score
devildodge said:

Thanks for the update.
I was of the same opinion of it at first- seemed complicated. I went for it on my ‘19 because I was mainly concerned about squatting while towing on the soft coil springs. The softer Springs make for a great highway ride, but that’s the downside and the air suspension should remedy that. Plus, the off-road 1&2 settings in addition to the 4x4 off road package will take care of any potential lift I would want on the standard suspension for off roading.

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Grabbed a picture of the truck with a load of stone in the dump trailer. It is a 12x7 box on the Trailer and if you look you can see the stone heaped in it. The metal sides are I’m guessing around 2’

Users who are viewing this thread