5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle delay/ hesitation ‘23 limited

patsfantn

Reaction score
Hey all,
I’m having this issue with about 12k miles on the truck. 5.7 hemi 2023 1500 limited.
from dead stop two things:
1 the truck will surge when let off the brake, I assume due to the auto/start stop?
2 really delayed throttle response From dead stop. The dealer already reflashed/ relearned the throttle body but it’s continuing. To the point i feel it can be unsafe when trying to pull out into traffic. I’m going to end up getting smacked.
Anyone else have this issue and is there a fix? If the fix is to turn options off the get the truck to work right, thats going to be a problem. Thanks for any advice…getting kinda bummed as this is my first Ram.

Arth

Reaction score
Hey all,
I’m having this issue with about 12k miles on the truck. 5.7 hemi 2023 1500 limited.
1 the truck will surge when let off the brake, I assume due to the auto/start stop?
2 really delayed throttle response From dead stop. The dealer already reflashed/ relearned the throttle body but it’s continuing. To the point i feel it can be unsafe when trying to pull out into traffic. I’m going to end up getting smacked.
Anyone else have this issue and is there a fix? If the fix is to turn options off the get the truck to work right, thats going to be a problem. Thanks for any advice…getting kinda bummed as this is my first Ram.

A few things.

1. The surge I've found is normal, unfortunately. I don't know if it's from the ETorque or programming. The truck won't engage the transmission until you've let off the brake. Only time I've noticed it'll auto engage the transmission is on a cold start. After that any warm start it won't immediately engage the transmission when you shift to drive until you've let off the brake. Didn't have this one my 19 or 21 but I have noticed on my 23.

2. I don't have this issue. However I did end up purchasing a banks pedal monster and it eliminates all delayed response. If anything I've turned it back down to almost stock because it is a little to sensitive at times. Maybe you give that a try?

patsfantn

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I kinda figured the surge is an etourqe thing, not a big fan of it.
i thought about the pedal monster but man, I shouldn’t have to do that. I pull out in traffic, feel the delayed response and ending up mashing it to get it moving so I don’t get whacked. Ill keep mentioning it to the dealer but the response delay shouldn’t be this long, even for stock.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I kinda figured the surge is an etourqe thing, not a big fan of it.
i thought about the pedal monster but man, I shouldn’t have to do that. I pull out in traffic, feel the delayed response and ending up mashing it to get it moving so I don’t get whacked. Ill keep mentioning it to the dealer but the response delay shouldn’t be this long, even for stock.
Just turn off the auto start stop every time you start it up. See if that fixes it.

I don't have the eTorque or that BS on my Ram, but I do on my company Equinox and turn it off on every start...

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all,
1. I don't experience this on my eTorque, but I have a 2020. From a lot of explanations, people make it sound like the truck jumps forward and is going to rear end someone. But I'm sure that's just an overreaction. But I agree with others, just turn it off if that's too scary.

2. Is the hesitation after the engime shuts off? Is from a dead stop? Try something that modifies the pedal signal. This is common on drive by wire systems.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've not experienced either issue. I'm normally playing music loud enough that I can't hear it shutdown or restart and if not for the light on the instrument panel would not be able to tell the difference between when it shuts down and when it doesn't. No surging and when I depress the accelerator pedal it accelerates.

patsfantn

Reaction score
1. I don't experience this on my eTorque, but I have a 2020. From a lot of explanations, people make it sound like the truck jumps forward and is going to rear end someone. But I'm sure that's just an overreaction. But I agree with others, just turn it off if that's too scary.

2. Is the hesitation after the engime shuts off? Is from a dead stop? Try something that modifies the pedal signal. This is common on drive by wire systems.
I’m kinda used to the surge but googling it, sounds like it’s a redesign from the 22s and newer.
the other issue, its Not happening when the engine is shut down. Rolling into a stop sign, stopping (slowing 😀) and then accelerating to get out into traffic Is when the hesitation or lack of response happens.

patsfantn

Reaction score
I've not experienced either issue. I'm normally playing music loud enough that I can't hear it shutdown or restart and if not for the light on the instrument panel would not be able to tell the difference between when it shuts down and when it doesn't. No surging and when I depress the accelerator pedal it accelerates.
the Surge happens from engine shut off and when you slightly pull from the brake (think of slow creeping traffic). It’s when the engine cranks back on. But yeah to your point I’ll just shut if off from now on.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the Surge happens from engine shut off and when you slightly pull from the brake (think of slow creeping traffic). It’s when the engine cranks back on. But yeah to your point I’ll just shut if off from now on.

Not sure what you mean by "pull from the brake". Even in slow creeping traffic my foot is either on the brake or the gas, but never both at the same time. When auto starting it would restart the moment you lift your foot off the brake then go when you press the gas. I have no surging or delay.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Regarding your delayed throttle response, you might try a couple of things: Relearn your accelerator pedal, and/or disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnect and see how it feels

GTRam

Reaction score
Hey all,
I had a 22 Rebel GT which had a throttle hesitation issue, my local dealership service department tried refreshing the ECM, Tranny, Gas Pedal to no avail.

Then my truck started stalling while in traffic and they changed out the E-Torque belt tensioner. This reduced the hesitation but did not resolve the engine stalling.

After 2 years, 10 engine stalls (in traffic), several P032F codes (but not always), 7 service schedule services, continued throttle hesitation and stalling.....I lemon lawed the truck and FCA repurchased it with only 12k miles.

It was a safety problem, trying to restart these new trucks while in traffic takes time, having to brake to stop truck from rolling, brake to shift to park, brake to restart engine, brake to shift back to drive only to find the software sometimes also engaged the electric emergency brake requiring to go thru the whole cycle again.

There are other threads about this issue, not sure if FCA has resolved the hesitation issue or engine stalling. They did tell me if I installed a throttle enhancer, the warranty would be void.....catch 22.

Good luck

Snekpete

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go to Settings->Safety and Driver Assistance and turn off Hill Start Assist. See if that makes any difference.

codiac55

Reaction score
Part of the e-torque system is to start the initial roll of the tires from stationary, to make it easier to get going. I'll admit, slowly pulling in to the garage where the parking is tight, is interesting. Slow roll to make sure I'm clear, engine stops, restarts and slightly surges me forward. It's not enough to cause an accident, but something I'm aware of.

I also have the slightest of hesitation from stopped to throttle, like the pedal has a dead spot. I'll agree that a Pedal Monster shouldn't be required. I think I could probably train my foot out of it, but the way I roll into the throttle, especially when stopped and trying to turn 1 direction, does seem borderline dangerous.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m kinda used to the surge but googling it, sounds like it’s a redesign from the 22s and newer.
the other issue, its Not happening when the engine is shut down. Rolling into a stop sign, stopping (slowing 😀) and then accelerating to get out into traffic Is when the hesitation or lack of response happens.
That sounds more like the transmission hunting for a gear before it will accelerate. I think all modern Dodge/RAM vehicles do that. If you have the fear indicator turned on so you can see what gear you are in, I'd be willing to bet it never fully shifted down to 1st before you hit the gas pedal. On the 2019s, three was a TSB flash update for this. Throttle controller will help some. My old Ram Pro Master work van was horrible with the little 4cyl since it had no power to start with. I got to the point to where I would use gear limiter to manually downshift transmission into lower gear, when showing down, and it helped a ton. Either that, or make sure you come to a complete stop, and maybe wait a second before continuing. I'd bet you are not getting fully stopped when you experience this

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sounds more like the transmission hunting for a gear before it will accelerate. I think all modern Dodge/RAM vehicles do that.

The more I hear people describe when this delay occurs I think it's common to every car with an automatic transmission that I have owned in the last 45 years. The cure is a manual transmission.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
The programming on the accelerator is pretty trash. I think most modern cars have this delayed acceleration now for "safety issues" would be my guess but it makes for some very annoying encounters. I put an Ultimate 9 in mine and the truck now actually accelerates when you step on the gas like you'd expect, not half a second later.

Users who are viewing this thread