5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts After First Road Trip - New 2021 Laramie 4WD

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
This weekend, me and my sweetie went on our first proper road trip in our new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD. Before this, our longest trip had been the drive back to Central Arkansas from near St. Louis where we bought the truck. This time we did the following:
  • We started going southwest from Central Arkansas down I-30 to Texarkana, TX for lunch.
  • Then south down I-49 to Shreveport, LA to I-20.
  • East on I-20 across northern Louisiana to Vicksburg, MS. for the night.
  • The next day, we stayed on I-20 to Jackson, MS.
  • At Jackson, we took US 49 down to Collins, MS.
  • Then we took US 84 into Laurel, MS where that hometown home improvement TV show is made.
  • Got there, did that, and bought the T-shirt (literally).
  • Backtracked to Jackson on US 49.
  • Then stayed north on US 49 through Yazoo City, MS all the way to the Helena bridge (Where part of the "In The Heat of the Night" movie was filmed).
  • Once we crossed that two-lane bridge back into Arkansas, we stayed on US 49 to Brinkley, AR.
  • We then got on I-30 and came back to Central Arkansas.
Ram6Sep2021_01.jpg

First thought, the Laramie is an excellent road trip vehicle. Lots of room and plenty of power to take control of the open road. It has a look like no other truck and people do turn their heads to see it. The BAKflip F1 hard tonneau cover and Bed Mat, along with the factory lighting from the Bed Utility Group, make the world's best trunk for all your stuff. The automatic wipers and high beams make driving easier. The factory stance of the 4WD Laramie is perfect for worry free driving over relatively rough terrain without getting the chrome scratched or dirty. And the open panoramic roof is awesome in the evening after the southern sun gets low enough not to be on the "Broil" setting. AC worked great. No complaints on staying cool in mid-90's humid weather while cruising old southern houses gussied up like French prostitutes for a TV show.

That said, here is what our truck may be lacking:
  • The factory Bridgestone Dueler Tires cry like babies every time the pavement is not smooth. Like the factory Firestone Fire Hawks on the muscle cars, these will need to be changed out soon.
  • Mississippi uses a lot of pea gravel in their asphalt pavement. When worn (as most secondary Mississippi roads are), they deaminate and can even become washboarded. Our Laramie does NOT like these worn out pea gravel asphalt roads. The truck bounces and squeak even at low speeds. I am thinking the truck needs better sway bars.
  • There is a low rubbing sound that can be heard even when crawling along over rough pavement. I folded up the hard tonneau cover to make sure it wasn't that. No change. It may just be the rubber bushings in the suspension, which is still factory fresh. I'm hoping it goes away with time.
  • Damaged pavement on highways is dangerous at high speeds. At 78 mph on I-30 in a slight curve, I crossed a patch of repaired pavement and the truck almost bounced off the road. Again, I'm thinking the sway bars are too weak.
  • Auto high beams go to high while passing semi trucks on the highway. I had several big truck drivers flash their high beams at me after passing them at night on the Interstate. I first thought the drivers were mistaken due to how bright the factory LED headlights are. But then I noticed the auto high beams switching to high when I passed trucks and there was nothing on-coming on the other side. It was only for a couple of seconds, but it's enough to blind a truck driver through his or her side mirror. I will have to remember to turn the auto high beams off when on four-lane roads.
Understand that me and my sweetie normally drive Mopar muscle cars. So we are used to having a degree of handling that a truck cannot provide. But we've both driven trucks since long before we were legal to drive, and long before we were legal to do the other things we used to do together in the truck while out in the woods. However, I do believe there are improvements that can be made to the handling of our new 2021 Ram Laramie. We will have to see. ;)

Ram6Sep2021_02.jpg

Attachments

• Ram6Sep2021_01.jpg
    Ram6Sep2021_01.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the details. I firmly believe that once you change out those stock tires, you will get a very nice softer ride.

I swapped out to Tokyo open country at3, and the ride became much more softer. Granted these tires are more off road worth, so I heard more road noise, it definitely make my truck ride better both on and off road.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try tightening the body bolts. Some people report they are a little loose. I got 1/2 turn out of 2 of mine going easy using a breaker bar. I think it is 18mm socket iirc.

Luigi_dfw

Reaction score
This weekend, me and my sweetie went on our first proper road trip in our new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD. Before this, our longest trip had been the drive back to Central Arkansas from near St. Louis where we bought the truck. This time we did the following:
  • We started going southwest from Central Arkansas down I-30 to Texarkana, TX for lunch.
  • Then we took US 84 into Laurel, MS where that hometown home improvement TV show is made.
  • Then stayed north on US 49 through Yazoo City, MS all the way to the Helena bridge (Where part of the "In The Heat of the Night" movie was filmed).
  • Once we crossed that two-lane bridge back into Arkansas, we stayed on US 49 to Brinkley, AR.
View attachment 104774

First thought, the Laramie is an excellent road trip vehicle. Lots of room and plenty of power to take control of the open road. It has a look like no other truck and people do turn their heads to see it. The BAKflip F1 hard tonneau cover and Bed Mat, along with the factory lighting from the Bed Utility Group, make the world's best trunk for all your stuff. The automatic wipers and high beams make driving easier. The factory stance of the 4WD Laramie is perfect for worry free driving over relatively rough terrain without getting the chrome scratched or dirty. And the open panoramic roof is awesome in the evening after the southern sun gets low enough not to be on the "Broil" setting. AC worked great. No complaints on staying cool in mid-90's humid weather while cruising old southern houses gussied up like French prostitutes for a TV show.

• The factory Bridgestone Dueler Tires cry like babies every time the pavement is not smooth. Like the factory Firestone Fire Hawks on the muscle cars, these will need to be changed out soon.
  • Mississippi uses a lot of pea gravel in their asphalt pavement. When worn (as most secondary Mississippi roads are), they deaminate and can even become washboarded. Our Laramie does NOT like these worn out pea gravel asphalt roads. The truck bounces and squeak even at low speeds. I am thinking the truck needs better sway bars.
  • There is a low rubbing sound that can be heard even when crawling along over rough pavement. I folded up the hard tonneau cover to make sure it wasn't that. No change. It may just be the rubber bushings in the suspension, which is still factory fresh. I'm hoping it goes away with time.
  • Damaged pavement on highways is dangerous at high speeds. At 78 mph on I-30 in a slight curve, I crossed a patch of repaired pavement and the truck almost bounced off the road. Again, I'm thinking the sway bars are too weak.
  • Auto high beams go to high while passing semi trucks on the highway. I had several big truck drivers flash their high beams at me after passing them at night on the Interstate. I first thought the drivers were mistaken due to how bright the factory LED headlights are. But then I noticed the auto high beams switching to high when I passed trucks and there was nothing on-coming on the other side. It was only for a couple of seconds, but it's enough to blind a truck driver through his or her side mirror. I will have to remember to turn the auto high beams off when on four-lane roads.
Understand that me and my sweetie normally drive Mopar muscle cars. So we are used to having a degree of handling that a truck cannot provide. But we've both driven trucks since long before we were legal to drive, and long before we were legal to do the other things we used to do together in the truck while out in the woods. However, I do believe there are improvements that can be made to the handling of our new 2021 Ram Laramie. We will have to see. ;)

View attachment 104775
The Hellwig sway bar will take care of the handling issues you experienced. Just search the forum for all the rave reviews given about the Hellwig rear sway bar.

BNeal

Reaction score
View attachment 104774

View attachment 104775
Nice truck!! Do you have the air suspension?

I am just about to turn 15k on my '21, and I have no words to express how much I love this truck! I have been driving BMW's since 2010 - they don't hold a candle to the ride & luxury feel of this Ram!

Essbaum

Reaction score
I agree that the OEM tires are not very good. That said, I also think the normal shocks ( not the rebel shocks or even the ORP hd shocks) are under damped. Mine tend to get bouncy pretty easily on bad roads. I will be installing lift struts shortly. Hopefully that helps.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Try tightening the body bolts. Some people report they are a little loose. I got 1/2 turn out of 2 of mine going easy using a breaker bar. I think it is 18mm socket iirc.

My truck has six cab mount bolts. The front four (two on each side) have 18mm heads and didn't budge with 80 ft. lbs on the torque wrench. The rear cab mount bolts are 21mm. These needed almost half a turn each to get to 80 ft. lbs. If those rear mount bolts are supposed to be 80 ft. lbs., then they were indeed loose. I will report back if the rubbing sound goes away.

Ram6Sep2021_04.jpg

Last edited:

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
The Hellwig sway bar will take care of the handling issues you experienced. Just search the forum for all the rave reviews given about the Hellwig rear sway bar.
The Hellwig sway bar appears to be relatively inexpensive (below $300). And since this Laramie already has a factory rear sway bar with standard links, I believe all I would need to do is trade it out for the Hellwig bar using the bigger shackle bushings that come with it. Looks like a 30-minute job or less.

I'm not sure if I should wait and see if new tires solve all the handling issues, or if I should snag a Hellwig sway bar now. I figure I will wait on the new tires until we make another trip out west next spring. That will give me time to decide if I want to try the Hellway bar first. If anything, it's good to have options. :unsure:

Ram6Sep2021_03.jpg

PS: The rear factory sway bar on the Laramie appears to have about the same diameter as the one on my PT Cruiser convertible. That's laughably small for a truck in my opinion.

Last edited:

Essbaum

Reaction score
I have also heard great things of helwig. It is on my list also.
Good luck with your mods!

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Here's the best price I've found so far on the Hellwig sway bar with shipping and all. Believe it or not, Walmart is a close second since there is no shipping and I can pick it up at the store. Again, I'm not sure what I'm going to try yet or when I'm going to do it. But hey, this is the fun stuff for me.

Hellwig01.jpg

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck has six cab mount bolts. The front four (two on each side) have 18mm heads and didn't budge with 80 ft. lbs on the torque wrench. The rear cab mount bolts are 21mm. These needed almost half a turn each to get to 80 ft. lbs. If those rear mount bolts are supposed to be 80 ft. lbs., then they were indeed loose. I will report back if the rubbing sound goes away.

View attachment 104801
Where are they? Thought there were only 4.

brenan00

Reaction score
Here's the best price I've found so far on the Hellwig sway bar with shipping and all. Believe it or not, Walmart is a close second since there is no shipping and I can pick it up at the store. Again, I'm not sure what I'm going to try yet or when I'm going to do it. But hey, this is the fun stuff for me.

View attachment 104800
I got it from them back in June and it was $272 to Hawaii. Same starting 283 starting price but bigger discounts. Surprising this being a long weekend sale and all, I would think there would be more of a discount. If you have a DOD ID card the online exchange AFFES has it for $196 in the automotive specialty shop. Later

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I got it from them back in June and it was $272 to Hawaii. Same starting 283 starting price but bigger discounts. Surprising this being a long weekend sale and all, I would think there would be more of a discount. If you have a DOD ID card the online exchange AFFES has it for $196 in the automotive specialty shop. Later
Oh yeah. I have a DOD ID card. And I think I found it! I had to sign up and send them a copy of my DD214. Now I just have to wait. :confused:

Last edited:

brenan00

Reaction score
Oh yeah. I have a DOD ID card. And I think I found it! I had to sign up and send them a copy of my DD214. Now I just have to wait. :confused:
I forgot to mention, I put mine on this morning. A huge difference. My wife drove it for the first time yesterday and did not like it, called it a tank, I think she will like it now. Later

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I put mine on this morning. A huge difference. My wife drove it for the first time yesterday and did not like it, called it a tank, I think she will like it now. Later
Well, that's not the kind of report I was hoping for. I'm trying to reduce the sway without a noticeable increase in suspension stiffness for my wife. I may have to think on this one longer.

On the upside, I got signed up with AAFES Exchange online. My price is $196.08 with no sales tax and free shipping. At that price I was going to buy. But now I'm going to wait until you report if your wife warms up to it. :LOL:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the tire related issues...did you ever check their inflation after you bought? My truck came from the factory with it's tires overinflated by 15 PSI...made a noticeable (positive) difference when I aired them down to spec. I have the off road group tires, so your experience may not be the same, but worth checking if you haven't already.

Last edited:

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nice detailed write up.. i would definitely also recommend the Hellwig Sway as it makes a nice difference for the price.

brenan00

Reaction score
Well, that's not the kind of report I was hoping for. I'm trying to reduce the sway without a noticeable increase in suspension stiffness for my wife. I may have to think on this one longer.

On the upside, I got signed up with AAFES Exchange online. My price is $196.08 with no sales tax and free shipping. At that price I was going to buy. But now I'm going to wait until you report if your wife warms up to it. :LOL:
Yesterday the truck was stock. Today I put the hellwig in. She just returned from the store, she couldn’t believe it was the same truck. I need comfort and this is the reason she gave it to me for retirement. I had a bad back surgery, so when we move in a couple years to a place we can take our first road trip, it will be comfortable. Probably Scottsdale to Vegas (the ninth island) or San Diego if our daughters carrier is there after nuc school. Later

Users who are viewing this thread