5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

These headlights are crazy expensive

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both my upper and lower DRL’s burned out on the driver side headlight assembly.

Ram rejected my MaxCare coverage and dealer wants $1,900

Damn.

Attachments

• 7CB260A1-998F-436B-9FE3-1063B2A3D38E.png
    7CB260A1-998F-436B-9FE3-1063B2A3D38E.png
    849.2 KB · Views: 186
  • BB07EE16-5BA9-47C9-AE26-DAE46C0B2CAE.png
    BB07EE16-5BA9-47C9-AE26-DAE46C0B2CAE.png
    647 KB · Views: 186

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Call maxcare or have the dealer call and explain the failure. We have had luck getting lamps covered by actually calling and talking to them.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how about get a tazer-dt and change the options to "amber drl" and just leave the white led strips burn out?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
how about get a tazer-dt and change the options to "amber drl" and just leave the white led strips burn out?
I could be wrong, but I think the bottom strip is the same one that can glow amber.

There are used headlights on ebay and aftermarket that are significantly cheaper if you don’t get it covered and have the ability to do it yourself. I love leds, but hate them at the same time because of situations like yours.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think the bottom strip is the same one that can glow amber.

There are used headlights on ebay and aftermarket that are significantly cheaper if you don’t get it covered and have the ability to do it yourself. I love leds, but hate them at the same time because of situations like yours.
Even brand new, it is significantly cheaper:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just grab a pair of Morimotos or Vland. The Vland especially are pretty cheap, about $600 for a pair IIRC, and they and the morimotos look better than stock LEDs too.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
That price is ridiculous and that’s bull crap the dealership denied the warranty! What good is a warranty if it doesn’t cover expensive failures like that?! Most LEDs are rated to go at least 50k hours. I bet you’re only at like 2k hours max!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I should point out that the price is most likely with labor.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That price is ridiculous and that’s bull crap the dealership denied the warranty! What good is a warranty if it doesn’t cover expensive failures like that?! Most LEDs are rated to go at least 50k hours. I bet you’re only at like 2k hours max!
The dealership did not deny the warranty. Maxcare coverage states not covered. It's all processed by a labor op code.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Just grab a pair of Morimotos or Vland. The Vland especially are pretty cheap, about $600 for a pair IIRC, and they and the morimotos look better than stock LEDs too.

I disagree. The stock Limited headlights look much better than any aftermarket headlights. I don't think you can use those on a Limited anyway, unless you swapped out the entire front end of a Laramie/Big Horn.

swing4terps

Reaction score
Was considering getting MaxCare and this sealed the deal for me. Most concerned about electronics going bad vs. mechanical parts. If it won't even cover headlights (it's not like they're bulbs), then what good is it?

silver billet

Reaction score
I disagree. The stock Limited headlights look much better than any aftermarket headlights. I don't think you can use those on a Limited anyway, unless you swapped out the entire front end of a Laramie/Big Horn.

The limited lights are great, I missed the fact that his is a limited, saw "laramie" in his sig and assumed he was running standard LEDs which IMHO are quite poor. Morimoto replacements for the standard 1500's are stunning, both the cheaper hybrids and the more upscale version too.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The limited lights are great, I missed the fact that his is a limited, saw "laramie" in his sig and assumed he was running standard LEDs which IMHO are quite poor. Morimoto replacements for the standard 1500's are stunning, both the cheaper hybrids and the more upscale version too.

I disagree with that too. The Laramie headlights aren't as good as the lights on the Limited, but they're pretty good. The two aftermarket headlights you listed are much better looking than the Big Horn halogens, but the OEM Mopar LED's are much better looking...especially the Night Edition version.

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
Was considering getting MaxCare and this sealed the deal for me. Most concerned about electronics going bad vs. mechanical parts. If it won't even cover headlights (it's not like they're bulbs), then what good is it?
This is where the warranties have not kept up with the technology. In their warranty documentation they would just consider the led's to be normal lights and they are far from it!

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

silver billet

Reaction score
I disagree with that too. The Laramie headlights aren't as good as the lights on the Limited, but they're pretty good. The two aftermarket headlights you listed are much better looking than the Big Horn halogens, but the OEM Mopar LED's are much better looking...especially the Night Edition version.

You're quite welcome to disagree.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is where the warranties have not kept up with the technology. In their warranty documentation they would just consider the led's to be normal lights and they are far from it!
Exactly, Light bulbs are considered wear and tear like brake pads. LEDs should not break, and when they do break it's not the LED breaking. It's some random part on the board.
I had to replace a $0.02 diode on a thrid break light strip before on my 2012 Camaro because the dealership said it was $850 to replace the third break light (led strip) that went out

I don't think warranties are going up update as the manufacture wants to screw you over and make more money by giving your a defective product. Most LEDs should last 20 years on average and generally even longer.

ProjectsInMotion

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread